Google plans to add another 10 games to the Stadia's launch lineup

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 18, 2019.

1. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    This seems to me to very much be a last ditch effort to make stadia even somewhat appealing, especially after all the X019 xcloud news that was dropped. Why should I invest a minimum $130 in this (remember that most games are sold separately in stadia) when I can go sign up for Microsoft's closed beta that already includes 50+ games for free? Oh, and m$ already confirmed that game pass games and digitally owned games through Xbox will be playable at no extra charge for people. Why the hell should I invest into stadia when xcloud is already offering a much better value? I'm not going to even bother with the compression/input latency issues since others here summed it up pretty well.

2. James_

James_ *Meowstic noises*

Oct 2, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Meowstic Land
    All I'm gonna say is that Stadia is most likely going to be a failure.
    To be honest I don't really hate it that much, but I already know that not many people are going to use Stadia.

Also while I'm at it, remember Google Maps for NES?

3. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Im old school i will always prefer physical media for my games. Fuck all the streaming shit

DinohScene likes this.
  4. ElonStark

ElonStark Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2019
    United States
    I would only try Stadia if I could do a free trial of it first. At least for a week but preferrably for a month. I just don't trust the promises of how slick this cloud gaming is supposed to be.

5. HylianBran

HylianBran Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2019
    United States
    OH MY GOD FOOTBALL MANAGER 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Remind me why people are okay with paying full retail price on games whose servers will be inaccessible one day? At least with digital downloads, you can use those offline and keep them permanently on your hard drive. This? This is absolutely asinine.

Worldblender and Dr.Hacknik like this.
  7. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Advanced Maniac | Dev | Trans

GBAtemp Patron
    Dr.Hacknik is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    inside your fridge
    Streaming games is convenient for low-spec hardware. Solutions like Nvidia Game Streaming allows you to use your steam and other platforms for digital distribution. Stadia just seems, like a gamble to use.

jimmyj likes this.
  8. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    But why pay for games you can't even download, games that will one day be inaccessible? Servers can't last forever, bandwidth caps are still a major issue, our infrastructure in the US is utter trash. Many features "promised" on launch are all too conveniently delayed till next year. Google clearly is trying to sucker people into paying for trash. Just because streaming only is a potential future, doesn't make it a good business model.

I can't wait to pay for a $60-70 game that I can't even download to my PC /s

9. DANTENDO
    This message by DANTENDO has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Nov 18, 2019, Reason: Offtopic / bickering.
    Nov 18, 2019
  10. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Advanced Maniac | Dev | Trans

GBAtemp Patron
    Dr.Hacknik is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    inside your fridge
    I mean yeah, I don't disagree. But at least you can use your steam account with Nvidia

11. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Nov 18, 2019, Reason: Offtopic / bickering.
    Nov 18, 2019
  12. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    the_randomizer likes this.
  13. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
  14. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Wtf isnt NBA already on?

15. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Its exactly the same as any buy-to-play always online live-service game, of which there are a ton today, many quite successful. Aside from Google maybe being even less reliable than the industry average. I do think there will be a much bigger audience for the true "netflix of games" AKA gamepass over xCloud, but cloud-based game "ownership" has already been with us for quite a while.

16. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    If it were a true Netflix for games, you'd just have to pay the monthly fee, and nothing on top of that. If all games were free with the service, I'd have nothing to object, but since you can't keep the games you pay for, I fail to see the appeal.

17. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Over 13 million people bought Diablo 3 on PC, a game that can only be played on Blizzard's servers. Whether you think that's a good idea or not, it doesn't really change what the market will bear.

18. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Doesn't mean it's good though.

19. nine0nine

nine0nine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2006
    Albania
    something being 'good' or 'bad' is not the point, it's being popular that matters.

The whole streaming concept is one that's been on the cards forever, I recall a sony exec talking about the same idea before the PS2 was released.

If Stadia is a failure, then expect the same service 5 years down the line when bandwidth issues are reduced. The days of physical media are numbered. Owning a download is almost as meaningless as streaming and even though downloads often cost more than a physical copy, people are still buying them.

I've always kept the key titles that I've played, right now there's a copy of Yoshi's Island next to Mario 64 on my shelf along with titles right up to Mario Oddysey and many of them I don't even have the console to play them anymore, but I don't think the vast majority of people could care less, for many its a disposable entertainment, play it, enjoy it, move on. For those people, Stadia makes sense.

20. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Bewdley, UK
    Thing is, it's not really a bandwidth issue is it. 20 Meg connection or 200 Meg connection, you can't get rid of the poor latency, and that's the issue whether your looking at a compressed 720p mess or a pristine 4k image. With streaming, you get input lag. And lag ruins games.

21. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    On your lap.
    I've had smoother input lag playing Pokken on livestream and using the broadcast as a monitor

22. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'm pretty sure you need the actual Stadia hardware (the controller connects directly to their servers through wifi so you can't use just any controller)