Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found this over on GoNintendo, and it stopped me in my tracks:

"Google, which owns popular video-sharing website YouTube, is improving the process by which owners of digital content alert it to the unauthorized posting of copyrighted material."

Full Article

Totoy_Kamote

Trophies
XP
Country
ohnoes.png

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
Google, which owns popular video-sharing website YouTube

1. Not in the correct format.
2. Does anyone need the previously stated clarification on what Google is?
3. Good. I'm hoping it doesn't come to this, but if it does, the internet needs to prove that it can govern itself without federal influence, as video games have done with the ESRB.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
CarbonX13 said:
I don't know if it's piracy? it's just using copyrighted material in their videos. Most cases are just using the music in the background.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Dec 4 2010, 12:09 AM) Youtube has always taken steps to remove that type of content.

You guys should read the article before commenting. I can understand this from Carbon, but you too, rydi?

This isn't necessarily about Youtube - GoNintendo just clarified it that way for whatever reason. The search engine itself is going to start filtering results better and respond to complaints more quickly.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
GeekyGuy said:
Google, which owns popular video-sharing website YouTube

1. Not in the correct format.
2. Does anyone need the previously stated clarification on what Google is?
3. Good. I'm hoping it doesn't come to this, but if it does, the internet needs to prove that it can govern itself without federal influence, as video games have done with the ESRB.

1. I was merely quoting the article. Take the "format" up with Yahoo.
2. Again, a quote.
3. No, this isn't the Internet governing itself; this is a corporation governing the public.

QUOTE(monkat @ Dec 3 2010, 11:12 PM)
...The search engine itself is going to start filtering results better and respond to complaints more quickly.

Exactly. This is fairly significant, since everyone and their mother uses Google on a regular basis. It's also noteworthy that this is private policing of a mainstream infrastructure.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
it's no surprise google is high on surveillance and intrusive, the quicker people boycott google the better, there are other search engines out there! won't be the end of the world.

Posts merged

twiztidsinz said:
God bless the United States of [CENSORED].

what happened to the land of the free?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jalaneme said:
it's no surprise google is high on surveillance and intrusive, the quicker people boycott google the better, there are other search engines out there! won't be the end of the world.

Posts merged

twiztidsinz said:
God bless the United States of [CENSORED].

what happened to the land of the free?
Seriously? The USA is slowly becoming the new China... and they're trying to bring the whole world with them.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We just keyword all important downloads to the word Bush and Obama
smile.gif

I dare them try censoring that =)

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think they need to first learn what the law allows though. I was in a team that made a 30 second ad for a video production class. We used about 20 seconds of the Sanford and Son theme song. This was for educational use, not for any form of profit, should qualify for fair use, and only posted to our teacher's YouTube site for the class (being the way we would always submit our final videos for grading). They denied the video claiming copyright infringement. We filed a review request for fair use, explained everything, even submitted a signed letter from out teacher. They still denied it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
A search engine is trying to stop piracy links from showing up in it's search results, and you all are claiming it's china now?

Seriously guys? It's their own fucking site and engine, and they want to not have illegal content showing up on it.

You know, like how gbatemp removes links to ROMs. Does that mean gbatemp is becoming china?

Google is not america, google is a company and a website. They have the right to modify THEIR OWN SHIT.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awful...

While not a bad move for Google, this is a huge blow to pirates. Finding new websites is going to be nearly impossible now.

I don't use Bing, but I wonder if it will still show illegal sites.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9p0iK877W4