Google+ Is Now Bigger Than Twitter, Only Second to Facebook

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Google+ was Google's attempt to face down Facebook. Launched back in 2011, it was meant to be a competing social media site, one that would take the throne from Mark Zuckerburg. It was surrounded by a lot of hype and speculation (Google+ is like Facebook, minus all the annoyances!)... and then just sort of fizzled.

Needless to say, many were left Google Nonplussed.

However, that's not the end of our story. While the publicity may have died down, it seems that Google+ has been adding users in the shadows.

[​IMG] (Rephrased from) phoneArena

(Another shocking tidbit: People are still using MySpace)

Facebook, of course, is still the reigning champion. It sits pretty at a billion users, and even managed to pull in 33% growth. Despite any troubles on Wall Street (or, as the kids call it, the "IP-Oh no"), the social media king doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.

While "active members" is a bit vague, Google+ is still a whole lot more popular than people would have you believe. 343 million users is certainly a respectable amount. I suppose that does it for all the "Google+ is a ghost town" jokes I never got around to making.

And hey, even if they never topple the monolith that is Facebook, I think Google will be okay - they'll always have AR glasses, self-driving cars, and, uh, that search engine thing.

kenjixx and PJM like this.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I never thought Google+ subtracted from Facebook's base.

I really don't hate social networking unlike every other friendless neckbeard here. I do use Facebook rather frequently (not obnoxiously so but I check it multiple times a day) and I don't really see the point in grumping about it. It's a great tool to keep in contact with people.

xwatchmanx and Gahars like this.
  3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    It's kind of hard to not be a user when Google is cramming the feature down your throat on every other service they have. Gmail? "WHY DON'T YOU GOOGLE+?" Youtube? "INCIDENTALLY, THERE'S THIS GOOGLE+ THING WHY NOT TRY IT?" Picasa? "SHARE YOUR PICTURES ON GOOGLE+!" Google? "GOOGLE FASTER WITH CHROME!"

...yeah.

And I think all Gmail users are set as G+ users by default or something. I know it treats me as a G+ user and sends me notifications and people have me in circles or whatever, and I never agreed to nuthin'.

Anywhoo, Big Brother nothing. All hail our googly overlord.

person66, NahuelDS, jalaneme and 7 others like this.
  4. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    To this day I still have no fucking idea what Google+ even is.

5. The Riolu

Member The Riolu Emanation Pokémon

United States
    And I remembered when most of us said it was going nowhere... :wtf:

6. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    It IS going nowhere.
    It's just users that have linked their Google account to it somehow, like the post above you explains so well. I really doubt even 10 million people use it on a daily basis.

The Catboy likes this.
  7. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    And this is exactly why the distinction between 'User' and 'Has an account' needs to be made with social networking sites. IIRC, everybody with an account for any google service is automatically signed up when they log in. This is just number fudging.

As a side note, more people should use G+. Much better than twitter and facebook.

McHaggis likes this.
  8. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I signed up for it just to shut it up every time i sign into YouTube or Gmail. It's counting "active" users... How many people happen to browse youtube or check their email daily (and therefore are active in G+) and are now thrown into this statistic of how many people are using google+? Not really fair, when to be "active" on twitter or facebook, you need to actually post.

9. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I have two gmail-accounts. It wouldn't surprise me if I'd show up twice on their countings, despite never even have used it.

EDIT: ...outside of the actual mail checking, obviously.

10. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Ad-block + element hider help + not a google plus user = Happy me.

:P

11. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I don't use Google+ but apparently I do...which is confusing. I guess it's because I use gmail...once and I use the Play store.

*shrug*

12. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    I'm actually quite surprised by this. Most people I know that use all the big three (facebook, twitter, Google+) basically have their apps linked to all three. In other words, post in the app once and all three will show the post. What I'd be more interested in is the actual amount of active users. That would remove quite a bit from the facebook userbase just as well.

As long as most of my friends and organizations I work with (basically Uni/student bodies) use facebook as their main information channel in social media, I'll keep using facebook. If most of my contacts change to one or the other, I'll probably change. I'd imagine Linkedin is the next one instead of G+, since most of my industry/econ contacts use that (studying mechanical engineering and minoring in industrial econ has affected this quite a bit..).

13. Ethevion

Member Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Canada
    I think it is because of Gmail, in which case it shouldn't really count.

14. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Facebook is perfect for keeping up with friends and family.
    And twitter is awesome for keeping up with game developers, t.v shows, and homebrew developers.
    But I don't think I've ever touched google +...

pokefloote likes this.
  15. Aeter

Member Aeter A walking contradiction

Netherlands
    My thoughts exactly.
    And Hadrian seems to fit as googly (see avatar) and overlord.

16. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Just because we have accounts doesn't mean we use it. There are millions of Android phones and each and every one of them has a Google+ account since they have a Google account.

Veho likes this.
  17. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    I have a G+ account. I used it (posting a "status update") a total of 2 (two) times.

18. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I had a Google+ account (I disabled it...I think), I wasn't very impressed by it actually. I thought it felt like Facebook, so I just stayed active on Facebook instead.

The Riolu likes this.
  19. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
  20. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    anyone that buys an android phone and links their gmail account is automatically a g+ user so these numbers are nothing near what actual active user count is...