The fairest in all the land
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1289315933.jpeg

11/09/2010 06:01:00 AM
With Google Instant you get results as fast as you type, but your search doesn’t stop there. Once you get results back, you choose a site to visit based on the information in each result—like the title, a snippet of text and the URL. Over time we’ve made steady improvements to our search results and snippets to help you pick a great page. Now we’re making a leap to image-based snapshots—a new kind of visual search result we call “Instant Previews” which makes it even faster to choose the right result.

Instant Previews provides a graphic overview of a search result and highlights the most relevant sections, making finding the right page as quick and easy as flipping through a magazine. To use it, click once on the magnifying glass next to the title of any search result and a visual overview of the page will appear on the right. From there, hover your cursor over any other result to see a preview. For those of you who’ve recently stopped using your mouse to search, now you can navigate to a result, hit the right arrow key to see the preview, and hit the down arrow key to keep browsing.

In our testing, we’ve found that people who use Instant Previews are about 5% more likely to be satisfied with the results they click. The previews provide new ways to evaluate search results, making you more likely to find what you’re looking for on the pages you visit. Here are some of the things you can do to get the most out of Instant Previews:
Quickly compare results - A visual comparison of search results helps you pick the one that’s right for you. Quickly flip through previews to see which page looks best.
Pinpoint relevant content - Text call outs, in orange, will sometimes highlight where your search terms appear on the webpage so you can evaluate if it’s what you're looking for.
Interact with the results page - Page previews let you see the layout of a webpage before clicking the search result. Looking for a chart, picture, map or list? See if you can spot one in the preview.
Instant Previews can be helpful for many kinds of tasks. For example, say you looked at a page before and need to find it again—with a preview, you can tell if any of the results look familiar. Or perhaps you’re looking for an official website—look for a logo and formal style and you’ll probably be able to identify it. Or maybe you’re looking for a how-to guide—it’s easy to spot a page with clear illustrations and step-by-step instructions.

We realized early on that this kind of experience would only make sense if it was lightning fast. Not long ago simply downloading an image could take 20 or 30 seconds, and even today many websites take four or five seconds to load. With Instant Previews, we match your query with an index of the entire web, identify the relevant parts of each webpage, stitch them together and serve the resulting preview completely customized to your search—usually in under one-tenth of a second. Once you click the magnifying glass, we load previews for the other results in the background so you can flip through them without waiting.

Well, I think that’s enough of a preview—soon you can try out the real thing for yourself! The new feature is rolling out now and should be available in more than 40 languages in the next few days.

Update 6:50AM: We removed the YouTube video to update it. We'll be back shortly.

Posted by Raj Krishnan, Product Manager[/p]

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Image/ Dutch source

Tried it and it's very helpfull if you forgot a website's name.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the instant results are pissing me off already and the same with having the google images spit up 10k images on 1 page -_-;

this will probably piss me off aswell

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't find it all that much helpful, if your computer can handle it automatically generating results and pop-ups, it only saves around 5 seconds.

Google doesn't need instant previews, it's an already efficient enough search engine, it does not warrant such a feature.

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do realize that, however, I am still able to state an opinion on the subject, whether in favor of it or not.

dragon574444

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really, really hate all the things Google is doing to make itself more cluttered. The only thing I like that Google has done is their "Suggested Search" drop down list. I hate the new side bar. There's no reason to force useless searching options on us. If I want to use those tools, I'll click on advanced search. I hate instant search. No Google, I do not want to search for the letter h, then ho, then how. I'm glad we can turn that off. And they changed the image search results. All these tweaks are unnecessary and annoying. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I miss the 2008 Google...

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
purplesludge said:
You guys do realize you can turn off any of the extra features google has if you don't like them.

We know the issue is for example with the images ting you have to scroll all the way down to get classic view, its just bloody annoying

Kwartel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
GundamXXX said:
purplesludge said:
You guys do realize you can turn off any of the extra features google has if you don't like them.

We know the issue is for example with the images ting you have to scroll all the way down to get classic view, its just bloody annoying
http://www.google.com/preferences
Change all the stuff you (don't) want here.

Kwartel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ProtoKun7 said:
I don't mind the changes with Google. I like a lot of them, in fact.
Indeed. All those new functions make it a lot easier to search and if people say: 'It slows my internet down!
sad.gif
', they have to look for a new provider..

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kwartel said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Indeed. All those new functions make it a lot easier to search and if people say: 'It slows my internet down!
sad.gif

Sais someone from a country with providers without bandwith limits
Not everyone is that lucky nor can everyone afford a 24mbps subscription

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
kwartel said:
ProtoKun7 said:
sad.gif
It does when your mum's torrenting
dry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: hi