Google Fiber Coming To Austin, Texas

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The internet is too damn slow here in the United States. The long and short of it is that internet providers (Comcast, etc.) are currently content to work in tandem and keep speeds as they are. They've pretty much got the market clamped down.

Or, they would, if Google wasn't taking things into their own hands. They've introduced their Fiber service to select areas over recent years, bringing customers extremely fast internet speeds at a relatively cheap price, with the hopes of forcing their competitors to improve their services.

Well, the Fiber train keeps on a-rolling - Next stop: Austin, Texas.

AUSTIN -- Google Fiber is a new broadband Internet network that is 100 times faster than anything available in Austin right now.

“You could upload your entire DVD collection in less than a day,” said local tech blogger Stacey Higginbotham. “It's super fast internet, and it's cheap."

No specifics yet for Austin, but cities that already have the service get a gigabit plan for $70 per month, or you can get regular broadband for seven years, for free, if you pay a $300 installation fee.
arrow.gif
KVUE

It should advertise itself! But just in case, Google, how about a slogan? Here's one - "Fiber: It keeps you('re service) regular!"

I know, it's great, isn't it? Have your people call my people. Or me. I'm my people.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that Google is expanding this service. Some more competition is exactly what the market needs right now. Plus, I would love to see them bring Fiber more east, like... to New Jersey, for example! I'm sure they'll get here. Eventually.

One of these days...

Reactions: Lacius

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I saw the news for it on Friday, and I was very happy indeed.
Now you know why we were being targetted by North Korea. Kim Jong-Un was upset that Pyongyang wasn't chosen for Google Fiber.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they can convince those stingy bastards that currently hold a monopoly on the service to try to actually have decent pricing (or at least decent speeds) on their plans then I say let them roll this out to every state.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Are you kidding me? Austin? Austin is crap. It's not even that large a city. Why not bring the service to, oh, I don't know...The fourth largest city in the USA?! Houston has a much greater need for this than Austin.

/biasedhoustonmasterrace

Reactions: Thanatos Telos

Sly 3 4 me

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish it could be 'tested' in Chicago too. Not too sure if I'd be able to have it though, being forty minutes from Chicago. It'd be nice to download at 125MB/s though.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why Austin and not DFW, Houston, or San Antonio?

1.Austin is the Capitol of the Republic of Texas.

2. Austin is the "Silicon Hills", akin to Silicon Valley, and has a huge tech presence. (Google, Apple, Facebook, Samsung, Dell, and a bunch of game studios.)

3. Austin is the fastest growing city in the USA.

4. Austin has a collection of famous residents such as the "Thong Cyclist". (Don't confuse him with Lance Armstrong, who also lives here.)
images

Austin rocks!

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Why Austin and not DFW, Houston, or San Antonio?

1.Austin is the Capitol of the Republic of Texas.

(In Texas history, Houston was the capital first. Then they changed it to Austin later) Houston deserves to be the capital!

2. Austin is the "Silicon Hills", akin to Silicon Valley, and has a huge tech presence. (Google, Apple, Facebook, Samsung, Dell, and a bunch of game studios.)

3. Austin is the fastest growing city in the USA.
Houston is already grown...

4. Austin has a collection of famous residents such as the "Thong Cyclist". (Don't confuse him with Lance Armstrong, who also lives here.)
Houston has all the sports teams. They're famous too.
images

Austin rocks! HOUSTON ROCKS!

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All my life I have never gotten higher than 3Megabits :(
ISP always fucking blames "you live too far from telephone extension". I bloody lived all over UK, never fucking got anything higher :/
Installation date for fibre is on the 8th(wednesday!).
my neighbor got their installed last week and apparently she is getting only 7.3Megabits (paying for 38megabits).

We need google here :(

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
All my life I have never gotten higher than 3Megabits :(
ISP always fucking blames "you live too far from telephone extension". I bloody lived all over UK, never fucking got anything higher :/
Installation date for fibre is on the 8th(wednesday!).
my neighbor got their installed last week and apparently she is getting only 7.3Megabits (paying for 38megabits).

We need google here :(

How far are you from your exchange? What's your downstream attenuation? What do you sync at?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.