Google Brings Out Google Drive. 5GB free storage.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by gifi4, Apr 24, 2012.

1. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    BTW people. as much as I love Google Docs, 4Shared gives you 15 gigs for free :P Now multiply that by multiple accounts created with multiple email addresses and I'm sure you can see what I mean,

2. Shabutie78

Shabutie78 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2010
    United States
    i'll definitely use this. it's integrated with your google account and offers more space than dropbox. why not?

no you don't. it's incredibly easy and simple to make new google accounts.

3. fgghjjkll

fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

GBAtemp Patron
    fgghjjkll is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2008
    This only launched in US?
    I can't access it in Australia :(

4. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    why is this different from skydrive (ms) OR something like filetrip? They are cloud based and infact mediafire says so. The only reason this news piece is big is that it has Google on it.

I believe google has more in store

5. Wizerzak

Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

May 30, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I don't own a mobile and I use basically every Google service with my account.

6. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    You could say that about anything really.

Too late Facebook, I have MySpace. Too late Tumblr, I have twitter. Too late cell phones, I use pay phones.

Anyways, this is pretty cool. Maybe get more use out of my google account than just my email.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chanser

Chanser :o

Jun 27, 2006
    Monaco
    I use Skydrive and it has given me 25GB free. Though I'll probably sign up to most cloud services.

8. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    I'll likely maintain files in both my Dropbox and my Google Drive. I mean, Google already handles all my music, my social life, and my navigation. Might as well let em have my collaborative files and projects.

Honestly, this is a net positive for everyone, because if Dropbox becomes competitive in a hurry, which their referral program is helping them win for fans of free (as in beer) space, Google may lose this battle but the prices will stay down. That's all Google needs to be here, healthy competition. Although no one really makes a fuss over Microsoft's SkyDrive...

9. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, but with all of those things you mentioned, the latter(s) were better. I see no reason to give up my free 25GB Dropbox account (which syncs across all of my PCs) for a 5gb Google Drive account, whenever they decide to open it up to me.

10. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    For those who are for whatever reason unable to refer friends, Google Drive wins. 3GB more from the start, and cheaper upgrades. $5/month for 100GB from Google Drive or $20/month from Dropbox.

That will be a moot point in the coming weeks though. Google and Dropbox are both in this for the paying customers, not the freeloaders like you and I, so if Google has such drastically lower pricing, Dropbox is forced to lower their prices to compete.

11. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    I hope they don't get rid of Google Documents.

1 person likes this.
  12. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    God Google I love you. This can be very very handy IMHO, I'll definitely use it. I'm a big fan of Google Docs, this will be even handier.

13. corenting

corenting GBAtemp Regular

Jul 17, 2008
    France
    Looks good, but I'm too lazy to move my files from Dropbox to Google Drive, as I have a shitty upload speed of 50 ko/s :(

14. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Alright! I was running really low on phone space and my flashdrives are almost completely stuffed, I was going to pick up a 32 GB drive from BestBuy or RadioShack ( Don't kill me D:) but this might be better since its much easier to transfer files.

15. LightyKD

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    How many times do I have to say this!!! Google Drive IS Google Docs. Drive is just a rebranding of Docs just like how Google Play was a rebranding of the Android Market. If you have a Docs account already then you should already see a roughly 4+ Gig increase in the storage you had (which if I remember correctly was between 1.2 and 1.5 gigs). when Drive is officially launched, your Google docs workspace will automatically show the "Drive" related improvements. Any payment plan that you were on during the Google Docs era will still be in effect unless you fudge your next payment, then Google automatically debunks you to lower storage space.

16. Ultymoo

Ultymoo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I'll be using in conjunction with Dropbox. Hopefully the things I can do with files will be a bit more flexible on Drive though.

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Why would they? I can pull up google docs just fine.

18. LightyKD

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Google Drive just went into effect. Those of you who were using Google Docs before the update have the choice to pick between the old and new look. Granted the new look isnt so new, you now have previews of your files, which is awesome for pictures and movies but the overall look is basically the same. Enjoy!

19. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    You know, people always say they don't trust companies because they have access to your shit. You are aware that they cant give less of a fuck about what you stick on there right? Most of the time they only delete your stuff if its like an illegal download or something right? Like the old saying goes. "If you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear" also to avoid any ballbusting that might happen, I'm not saying that's your reason, just using as more of a basis then anything.

20. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    So if you "don't have anything to hide", it's alright for companies to invade your privacy? That's a horribly flawed argument.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted