Goodbye to web browsing the Internet in your 3DS

raxadian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
"Let's Encrypt, a nonprofit organization that is the largest issuer of digital certificates — which encrypts and protects the connection between devices and websites on the internet — will be forced to expire one of its most popular digital certificates, the IdentTrust DST Root CA X3, on Sept. 30.

This means several phones, computers, video game consoles, smart gadgets, and "Internet of Things" devices bought before 2017 that use the Let’s Encrypt digital certificate in question, and haven't updated their software since then, could face significant issues connecting to the internet.

The problem will primarily affect popular devices, such as iPhones running iOS 9 and below, Android phones running below the 2.3.6 software, Windows computers running software prior to XP SP3, Sony's PS3, and PS4 game consoles, and the Nintendo 3DS." Source: https://news.yahoo.com/millions-old-phones-laptops-smart-210600565.html

Reactions: banjo2 and zoogie

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Edit: Turns out that GBAtemp is fine, but sites that use Let's Encrypt aren't (like Wikipedia), so there you go =P

Err
seems pretty functional.png

Seems pretty functional to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Unless I'm missing something here? Maybe I'm just lucky?

I'm quite suprised that GBAtemp was able to load on the 3DS hehe

Last edited by Wavy,
Reactions: raxadian

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This means several phones, computers, video game consoles, smart gadgets, and "Internet of Things" devices bought before 2017 that use the Let’s Encrypt digital certificate in question, and haven't updated their software since then, could face significant issues connecting to the internet.
Not to be too cynical here, but this whole expired certificates thing could easily be abused for the sake of planned obsolescence.

Step 1: Sell people a 3,000 dollar Internet of Things coffee machine.
Step 2: Don't release certificate updates.
Step 3: ??? (Actually, this is the step where people go out and buy the latest model.)
Step 4: Profit.

Reactions: E1ite007

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Not to be too cynical here, but this whole expired certificates thing could easily be abused for the sake of planned obsolescence.

Step 1: Sell people a 3,000 dollar Internet of Things coffee machine.
Step 2: Don't release certificate updates.
Step 3: ??? (Actually, this is the step where people go out and buy the latest model.)
Step 4: Profit.
Certs are easy to find and most Internet of Trash devices don't have security so you could just mod them to have up to date or custom certs for a proxy.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
A browser that can't be updated is a liability, even Nintendo recognized that and hid the damn thing on the Switch.

Who uses his 3DS for browsing, anyways?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Who uses his 3DS for browsing, anyways?
There are a few text-only pages which I check with a semi-broken 3DS from time to time. Easier and faster than walking to the PC and starting it up. But honestly the browser running as a limited memory applet is useless.
Sadly the "Don't you have a phone?"-attitude is to blame why there was never some kind of homebrew port of a real browser running as full application.

Reactions: Luanon

boot3

Internet trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess it does kind of suck, but it doesn't bother me too much. Nintendo browsers were never that good, and they were only really useful for running exploits and such.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
You can actually still connect to Let's Encrypt websites just fine, just with a warning the the certificate is unsafe. The problem with Wikipedia is something else and it's been broken for a while. Not sure what exactly is breaking Wikipedia but I think it's requiring some kinda encryption that the 3DS browser doesn't support.

Other sites like Universal-DB that use Let's Encrypt still work if you ignore the certificate warning and Wikipedia still works on the PS Vita browser, which is also affected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: 455