Good Quality Headphones

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by JPH, Feb 1, 2008.

Feb 1, 2008

Good Quality Headphones by JPH at 11:57 PM (1,049 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Well, the mutt ate my headphones up.
    Looking for some nice quality headphones to replace them.

Around 30 dollars is the spending limit, and link please.

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

These are the ones I got:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXD200-MDR-XD...s/dp/B0007N55NW
    my room mate got them too by some coincidence.

They're pretty good and cheap. Great comfort. Great quality.

[​IMG]

I honestly am perfectly happy with these.

Looks like they're on offeron Amazon now, $20 instead of $30.

3. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Ooh!
    Looks really comfortable from what I see.
    Will most likely be buying those tonight [​IMG] (Who doesn't trust the word of Costello?!)

4. JimmyJangles

Newcomer JimmyJangles Advanced Member

United States
    Hmm, I may get some of these to replace my old ones that are starting to fall apart.

My dad wants some new headphones too, but unfortunately he's got his eye on some Bose headphones which are an insane $150.

He says that the huge price must be for a reason, thus they must be truly awesome headphones. Still, while I know Bose is one of the best companies for sound equipment, I still think the price is mostly just for the name and not just the quality.

5. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    those sony ones are nice.

i got a similar pair, other model.

6. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    I'm a big in-ear headphone type of guy, so if you're looking for some in-ear buds, I have a suggestion.

I just got a Zune 80 and it came bundled with the Zune Premium Headphones (v2). These are seriously the best in-ear buds I've ever put on, which is pretty good for an MP3 Player stock. They sell 'em at the Amazon link above for $35 and it comes with a pouch, extra bud relacements, and whatnot. The ends of the buds (part that doesn't go in your ear) are magnetic so they "connect" to each other to prevent mass tangle-age. The bud's cord is also not made out of your standard rubber-like insulation wire. Imagine a strong, thin, fabric shoelace/rope-type setup. This also helps in preventing tangles and internal shortage/damage. Definitely a worthwhile purchase, these buds will last you a long time.

Before I came across those buds, I owned (and still do) numerous headphones from Skullcandy's extensive product line. Also in your price range with unbeatable sound performance and quality.

[​IMG]

7. apb407

Member apb407 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    skullcandy.com

look for the one you want then go to amazon and buy it [​IMG]

i have the smokin buds and they are amazing i got them from staples for about 15 bucks

8. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I too am a fan of in-ear headphones.
    It's a tough choice, chossing between in-ear headphones and regular headphones.
    I'll be making a decision about whiched I like. Thanks for the help fellers, I'll be orderin' something tonight.

Yipyip! [​IMG]

Not a fan of the Skullcandy, though thanks for the suggestions....

9. Jundeezy

Member Jundeezy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oooo! I was just thinking about getting new headphones or a headset for gaming and/or silence for those around. Kind of liking the one Costello posted. Thanks for making this JPH.

10. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

your dad should check out head-fi.org

Bose are not that well regarded actually. He can do much better at that price.

And I just bought earphones that cost more than that. [​IMG]

11. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    1. 30USD aren't going to buy great headphones any way you look at it. The best you can do canalphone-wise is something "ok" like CX300s.

2. Bose is not known as "one of the best companies for sound equipment"; they're known as "one of the companies that profit by overcharging the idiots who shop for electronics at Target".

3. Most of Skullcandy's headphones are shit.

If you can cough up about 70USD for canalphones that are actually good, I recommend Shure's e2c.

12. Doyvid

Newcomer Doyvid Member

Australia
    That's not insane... I paid $300 (admittedly, Aussie) for my Beyer DT 770's, but then again, I'm a sound designer by trade, and as such I need a great pair of Pro-Audio grade cans.

But yeah, headphones for around the $30 mark will more or less be disposable... Probably get about 6 - 8 months out of them and then a wire will break in them or something awful. Hopefully not too soon, though...

13. JimmyJangles

Newcomer JimmyJangles Advanced Member

United States
    Well, considering all he's going to use them for is to listen to music off the computer or a standard non-fancy sound system (maybe an iPod as well), $150 really is insane.

Really the main reason he doesn't like using the headphones I have (regular $15 Sony ones) is because they're on-ear headphones which can hurt after a while. So he wants to get some good around-ear ones.

And so far some of you have confirmed my belief that the high price for Bose is just for the name and not just cause they're the greatest in the world. It's gonna be hard to convince him though, because we do own some standard Bose speakers which really are very good so he's dead set on the brand.

14. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    Fuck SkullCandy, I bought two pairs of Smoking Buds, both of which crapped out within a week.