Good places to buy English games in Akihabara?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Hermessz, Jul 18, 2009.

Jul 18, 2009
  1. Hermessz
    OP

Member Hermessz GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    Hi all,
    I'm currently in japan, and I'm now looking for some english games PS3 in Akihabara. Last year I found some games @ LAUX, but it seems now that some of the LAUX'es are closed or do not have the games I look for. (inFamous, and/or Call of Juarez/LBP)
    If there are any japanese guys over here, do you know any good place for some english PS3 games?
    BTW, I was in a store called Game Trader, I guess those are 2nd hand games, aye? (they cost 5200 yen, which is like 50 USD)
    anyway, any japanese help will be appricieted (if I spelled that right [​IMG] )
    BTW, Japan rocks.

2. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    When I was in Akihabara I saw only Japanese games... You could always get them from www.playasia.com (in Hong Kong, but shipping is cheap)...

3. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    I'm not interested in Play Asia, I'm only interested in Akihabara for now. [​IMG]

4. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I never seen any English games in Akihabara.

Just try Play Asia or Amazon Japan.

5. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    "No English games in Akihabara".
    I'm really glad I just came back with inFamous in pure english. [​IMG]
    I'll probably get LBP here too, since its in english and also I can't find CoJ in english.
    Anyway, thanks for trying. [​IMG]

6. KennyBania

Newcomer KennyBania Advanced Member

I love Japan too and went nuts when I was there, in terms of shopping, especially with stuff you can only ever find in Japan and heaps of gaming related stuff, but why buy your regular PS3 games there? Is the currency conversion making it cheaper or something?

7. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    Wow, turns out there's EVERYTHING in Akihabara. From 20 years old BRAND NEW consoles to store for english games.
    I found a store really near by the station, which is pretty much good, has a lot of SteelSeries accessories and good razer mice. And OFC, english PS3 and 360 games [​IMG]
    Well, as u can see kenny (isnt that name from seinfeld...?), I live in israel, and too bad, the importer makes the games cost way more than what they are. Especially for PS3.
    a PS3 game costs 60$ max, which is global price more or less. 60$ worth 240 shekels. PS3 games in israel, cost 420 shekels, meaning that the importer stole us 180 shekels, which is hm, 45$ more or less, almost as the price of the game out of israel.

See my point? [​IMG]
    Thats why gaming shops around the world are my love, cheap games [​IMG]

Anyway, from today, I can actually announce that Akiba has EVERYTHING. Even the thing you thought you would never find, like PURE english games, it exist [​IMG].
    Oh, and there are a lot of stuff that only available in japan, not just games, but accessories, and computer parts (as a PC gamer myself) like motherboards, and the best quality medias, such as Tayo Yuden, etc.

Where are u from kenny? nice to hear im not the only japanfreak exist [​IMG]

8. KennyBania

I'm from Australia mate [​IMG]

I went to Japan one Septemeber, loved it so much I went back in February [​IMG]

I can't remember the name of the store in Akihabara, but it's near(ish) to the Sega Arcade on the corner. It has 4 or 5 levels of SNES, NES, PSX etc, I loved it.

Also, if you like Toys in general, not just gaming, checkout Kiddy Land in Harajuku. Heaps of Hello Kitty, Totoro anything Japan actually. If you are a collector or have young relatives or a Wife/Girlfriend they'll love the stuff this shop has!

Don't forget cheap, good quality clothes from UNIQLO and the best burgers in the world at MOS Burger!

I was lucky, I actually saw the Tokyo Game Show in 2006 [​IMG]

Have fun man, I am so jealous! lol!

9. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    Australia, wow thats far [​IMG]
    anyway, today I was in Shibuya, been in Donkey-Hote or something like that, a store that has everything [​IMG]
    I bought a shirt that has JR line post of the stations, and the way the train goes, and its written in bold "Akihabara"

10. KennyBania

Hmm, I saw a few around. The closest to the station would be at the Tama Centre, I think the station was Tama. The shop is right off the station, it's only a small shopping area but it's where you go for the Sanrio theme park - Hello Kitty! hehe!!

I can also recommend Disney Land and Disney Sea and Universal Studios!!

11. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    THX bro [​IMG]
    I saw UNIQLO photos at google, man, made in japan clothes in 15 dollars, man oh man...

12. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Australia? Far from Japan? Not really. 8-10 hours by air. The same distance as from Europe.

By the way, Boolbla, if you see a new pink text on white label "Sakura" M3 Real card for sale in Akihabara, I'll buy it from you.

[​IMG]

I will pay retail price + US$8 + postage to Australia.

[​IMG]

I am reliable! Can pay by Paypal.

13. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    Far from israel, I meant [​IMG]
    actually, 8-10 hours @ air is pretty much far, but israel - australia is really far, no straight flights, only connections.

I thought of buying a DSi, but so far I'm going to pass because I somewhy can't find ANY flashcart in whole akihabara (WTF).
    It's weird, cuz last year there were tons of R4'rs, actually, I bought my wonderful EZ-Flash @ a store in Akiba :<
    I'm sure you're reliable bro, its just I ain't sure I'll find any. Otherwise, I would've own one :<
    BTW, I really need game suggestions, not high exclusives such as infamous, uncharted, and all the goodies. (because I got those already)
    I think of either Red Faction Guerrilla or LBP, but I dunno if I'll like LBP. Any other suggestions would be helping [​IMG]))

14. KennyBania

Red Faction is a good third person game but it was a bit messy for me. Too much destruction and not enough strategy, but a lot of people like it.

LittleBigPlanet is just a pretty good platformer, but where it is great is if you like creating levels or playing cool user made levels by connecting online.

You chose well with inFamous, that's my game of the year so far!

You might already have them, but my favourite recent PS3 releases are Killzone 2, Prince of Persia, Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5, Valkryia Chronicles.

If you see the PixelJunk 3in1 Pack, grab it. Racers, Monsters and Eden for a cheap price. 3 of the best PSN games [​IMG]

Man, all this talk makes me want to go again [​IMG]

If only my wife and I weren't saving for a house...

15. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    A house is much better than japan [​IMG]
    (in second thought....)
    Well, you can always teach your future kids about wonderful japan [​IMG]
    Well, the only game I don't have is Valkyria Chroc's, is that some kind of JRPG game? I would love for a nice explanation [​IMG]
    so far I didn't find PixelJunk @ all, a lot of games are missing here in the english section (because so far I found only 1 store).
    Infamous was a *buy* from the beginning [​IMG] Hey, should I get also Prototype? I saw it here as well, and I heard its pretty nice.
    Should I get also Prototype? I don't want to leave japan with only 1 game, a WM+ and a black controller [​IMG]
    Going to Asakusa now [​IMG]

16. KennyBania

Nah Prototype is only for PC and Xbox owners who can't play inFamous, lol!

It's not as polished, it's like a B quality game. inFamouse is A quality [​IMG]

Valkyria is a strategy RPG. It's sort of controlled like a third person shooter, but with a lot slower, turn based sort of fighting then with the addition of RPG like customize options. The AI isn't great but the story is cool, the graphics are water colour/cel shaded and it's actually simple and fun to play. It seems like it's hard to find this game in Australia. I had to import it.

How about BlazBlu Calamity Trigger (or somehting like that) - new fighting game? Apparently it's pretty crazy in a good way.

See if they have the English/Chinese version of Hakuna Matata (Africa). If you want something different that is. It's like Pokemon Snap, but you are a photographer in Africa. Very slow and simple game where you walk, drive around taking photo's of animals, unlocking new, better resolution cameras and exporting the photo's to your PS3 dashboard.

Asakusa is great, I have some awesome photo's of the temples! The markets around there are nice too!

17. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    I bought today Demon's Souls, because it was a version I couldn't find anywhere in the world except japan and china (I got the asian version, with english [​IMG] ) I got recommendations of the game, so I bought it, also because its hard to get in the world.

Today I actually decided to get Valkyria as you said dude, but I was out of cash and I didn't want to pay with credit [​IMG]
    So tomorrow I'll go and get Valkyria. Others games I saw were mostly old, but Demon's Souls and Valkyria were probably the best. I saw Red Faction and some other 3rd party games.
    You sure Valkyria will be good? I mean, I don't want to know if its like a good exclusive, I just want to know if its a good game [​IMG]

18. KennyBania

19. Hermessz
    OP

Israel
    Well, I bought it, and also the Vdigi Wii 2 VGA cable [​IMG]
    I also got Starcraft for pretty cheap [​IMG]

Anyway, I'll be leaving japan, so I hope I bought the best stuff I could over here [​IMG]

Thanks for the help bro's [​IMG]