Good MP3 Players?

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HI guys,
I am currently in the market for a new media player..
I am confused between the Zune 8gb and the Archos 3.
They look good, but at FutureShop, the guy said that they stopped selling zunes because no one bought them--does this mean they're bad?
I am not looking for an iPod, however..
I prefer something better with video and photo functions, atleast 8gb of memory, and innovation (ex. touch screen or wifi)..
Can anyone recommend me any models that I can find here in Canada?
Thanks

pizzaman2893

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
go to www.anythingbutipod.com , I'm not trying to like advertise the site or anything. But this site has reviews for many mp3 players, side by side comparison with many mp3 players. And advice from me don't buy a Zen. Great hardware, crappy software.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I was just about to post that link...

Thanks to them i had a tough choice between Cowon and Sony....

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
If you want a music player only get a Sansa Clip+. Cheap, small size, great quality, support for many audio formats (lolMP3) and it has expandable memory.
For a general portable media player get an older iPod touch and jailbreak it if you have the money, DO NOT UPDATE TO iOS4
For high-end media playing, Cowon makes excellent devices

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a Sansa before, and it was of such bad quality--the C240.
It started dying on me after a few months, the headphones also broke.
I don't think I want to get one of those again, and I'm looking for a media player (not an iPod)
smile.gif

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
67birdman said:
I don't think I want to get one of those again, and I'm looking for a media player (not an iPod)
smile.gif
You aren't going to get much for video and picture functions without a touch screen. Especially since screens are small.
Anyways I've had a fuze for a year now and it still works. The earbuds suck so I bought some.

Well I suppose if you don't want a Sansa I'd for for a Cowon or Sony. Do you have a budget for this?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
67birdman said:
LOL ok , why not tho?? Look pretty sickk..
Because they haven't made a decent player in 5 years.

If you're looking for a more robust platform (eg more of a PDA than strictly a media player), then iPod Touch is really the way to go. The Zunes are awful and outclassed in pretty much every way.

For just audio, I'll put another vote for the Clip/+. I have the original, its small, has good buttons with tactile feedback, robust format support (including OGG and FLAC!), a very bright and crisp OLED screen, and believe it or not I do actually clip it to things on occasion.

QUOTEI had a Sansa before, and it was of such bad quality--the C240.
So you're going to judge every product the company has ever made based on the cheapest model they ever produced?

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
67birdman said:
smile.gif
A Cowon, like I said, will give you unparalleled quality, if you don't mind paying out the ass for it.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advice Fox said:
67birdman said:
smile.gif
A Cowon, like I said, will give you unparalleled quality, if you don't mind paying out the ass for it.
Of course putting that extra money into the headphones will probably have a far more significant effect, as without decent phones the differences in SQ on the hardware-side really don't matter.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Advice Fox said:
67birdman said:
smile.gif
Of course putting that extra money into the headphones will probably have a far more significant effect, as without decent phones the differences in SQ on the hardware-side really don't matter.
Like you'll need to pay more than $50 for a decent pair, anything between $60-$400 is pointless audiophilia and above that is something you shouldn't be using on an MP3 player
a good pair of Sony headphones will do him fine

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry Urza, didn't know I was so biased..
I'll look into Cowons, guess thats the only choice I have left with iTouch..
I heard that Sony has the best sound quality in their walkmans, is that true or are there others with better sound quality?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advice Fox said:
Like you'll need to pay more than $50 for a decent pair, anything between $60-$400 is pointless audiophilia and above that is something you shouldn't be using on an MP3 player
a good pair of Sony headphones will do him fine
That's not really true at all.

If you can tell the difference between an S9 and iPod Touch, you should be able to tell the difference between, say, SR60s and HD280s. Once you break about 150USD you're trudging into the "pointless audiophilia" (as far as I'm concerned).

(and Sony makes pretty shit headphones)

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do people seem to hate the Ipod Touch? Yes it was made by apple but oh well, it is easily one of the best media players out there on the market, and has tons of extra features ( Especially if jailbroken ) as it has 100,000s of apps

I have an Ipod Touch 2g 8gb and its the best Mp3 player I've seen to date, the touch screen is one of the best of any Phone/MP3 player, if jailbroken it has excellent file format acceptance and in my opinion with good headphones sound quality is great

For what you have asked it seems the best option, and older touch for example a 2g wouldn't set you back as much as some of these new fancy players and yet would easily do the same job if not better.

67birdman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't hate the iPod touch, its just that it seems useless to me.
All I need is a good video and music player. Besides its too expensive.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
67birdman said:
I don't hate the iPod touch, its just that it seems useless to me.
All I need is a good video and music player. Besides its too expensive.
Why don't you post your budget then?

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
danny600kill said:
Why do people seem to hate the Ipod Touch? Yes it was made by apple but oh well, it is easily one of the best media players out there on the market, and has tons of extra features ( Especially if jailbroken ) as it has 100,000s of apps

I have an Ipod Touch 2g 8gb and its the best Mp3 player I've seen to date, the touch screen is one of the best of any Phone/MP3 player, if jailbroken it has excellent file format acceptance and in my opinion with good headphones sound quality is great

For what you have asked it seems the best option, and older touch for example a 2g wouldn't set you back as much as some of these new fancy players and yet would easily do the same job if not better.
100,000 apps
maybe 20 of them are good
in all fairness it's very expensive if all he wants is media playing which....the iPod touch really doesn't do that well....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM