*Flat is Justice*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I need one for school and I still don't know what one to buy. It should:
  • be cheaper than 1000€
  • run some small light games and emulators (flawlessly) - also Youtube and other streaming websites should run.
  • FHD >=13" display
  • be lightweight - <2.5 kg (don't wanna carry a stone with me all time)
  • have decent battery life
  • forgot one thing: have at least 128 gigs of storage.
  • (maybe touch display because that's fancy but not really important)
That's what I want, if you know one laptop please tell me.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jhnsn,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Many allegedly "low end" computers (like my 2015 Acer ES1-111M) should fit all those points except the screen

The Lenovo Miix 3 I bought last year for my mom (actually a tablet with keyboard/touchpad/2x usb dock) probably hits all of those points!

The biggest limitations you get from modern cheap computers is that replaceability of memory is hit or miss, and some models with integrated flash storage don't have a sata connector out of the box - 2/32GB are the norm but you can reasonably find way better performing 4/64s

Right now I'm actually using an IBM T61 made in 2008, which actually plays PS1 games at near 100% speed, but wouldn't fit many of your requirements despite being rock solid and upgradeable - what about a more recent used Thinkpad?

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: Jhnsn

Jhnsn

*Flat is Justice*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Forgot to say the screen should be at least 13" big and have at least 128 gigs of storage. Added to first post.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I need one for school and I still don't know what one to buy. It should:
  • be cheaper than 1000€
  • run some small light games and emulators (flawlessly) - also Youtube and other streaming websites should run.
  • FHD >=13" display
  • be lightweight - <2.5 kg (don't wanna carry a stone with me all time)
  • have decent battery life
  • forgot one thing: have at least 128 gigs of storage.
  • (maybe touch display because that's fancy but not really important)
That's what I want, if you know one laptop please tell me.

Thanks!
I think you can find a Surface Pro of some sort (possibly used/refurbished) that checks off all those points, I have a Surface Pro 3 and it certainly fits the bill and cost around €1000 in Norway including the type cover (but would likely have been cheaper in other places), the only thing it can't emulate is GC/Wii (haven't tried PS2 on it though so that might work better)
You can certainly find much more powerful laptops for the same price but they will tend towards the heavier/larger end of the scale (note that I don't mean big bulky gaming laptops. For that price you can find decent and relatively thin laptops with a dedicated GPU they just tend to be around 15" and of course weigh more but are still very portable) so you should decide beforehand what's more important, portability or specs, but from your post it sounds like portability is more important and the Surface Pro series (as well as ultrabooks and some macbooks) are hard to beat when it comes to that.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: being sick still sucks