Good Internet provider? In NJ

BMinkie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for a good cheap internet provider I live in new jersey thinking about getting comcast?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for a good cheap internet provider I live in new jersey thinking about getting comcast?

I don't know which one is good, but I can tell you which is bad: Verizon.

They have some horrible setup where Youtube connections are bottlenecked in the northeast US. I have FiOS internet, and last I looked I was getting ~14kb/s downstream from Youtube at one time.

It's gotten better but not by much.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm across the river in PA, but I can say that the Verizon issue is apparently the same here as well. My neighbor got FiOS last summer and called me thinking his PC was broken a week later when Youtube was unwatchable.

I have Comcast myself, it works fine. Fast enough outbound to host a server, and can be self-installed in 20 minutes if the cable is already hooked up at the street. I'd buy a modem, not rent.

My complaints: Don't bother with their antivirus package...it's rebranded Norton 360 (ugh). Customer service is a joke on the phone, but if you have an office nearby that does equipment pickup, you can go down there and speak to a person who actually knows something.

BMinkie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here is my problem I don't have a internet hook up in my house at all can I still get comcast? will they install one?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know which one is good, but I can tell you which is bad: Verizon.

They have some horrible setup where Youtube connections are bottlenecked in the northeast US. I have FiOS internet, and last I looked I was getting ~14kb/s downstream from Youtube at one time.

It's gotten better but not by much.

Perhaps just for you. I too have Verizon FiOS in NJ and it's fucking phenomenal. I have absolutely zero loading issues with Youtube.

A long time ago I did, but not at all in the past few years.

In fact, I would strongly caution against Comcast. I had them for a few years before Verizon and my internet would routinely cut out every 30 minutes to every hour.

Edit - Case and point, 6.1 Mb/s down from youtube.
yt.PNG

And this is my Speedtest

That's on their 50/25 plan, I'm actually getting faster than what the plan is.

Edit 2 - for my remark about Comcast, that was years ago. I know plenty of people that have it now that don't have problems with it, but also take into account, if it matters, that Comcast has a 250GB/month data usage limit, whereas Verizon does not.

BMinkie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love fios but cant afford it :-(

my only choices where I live is fios or comcast :-(

is there any other plan from verizon?

also I gave you a internet

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
is there any other plan from verizon?
Verizon may have DSL in some areas, but the speed is dismal (~2Mb tops), and most areas with FiOS don't offer it anymore.

For reference: The cheapest FiOS in my area is $49 for a year, then $69 thereafter, with a minimum 2yr contract. Comcast is $62.95/month for the mid-level "Performance" plan. DSL is not available.

here is my problem I don't have a internet hook up in my house at all can I still get comcast? will they install one?
They'll run one from the street to your house. I don't know how much the installation will cost though (if anything).

In fact, I would strongly caution against Comcast. I had them for a few years before Verizon and my internet would routinely cut out every 30 minutes to every hour.

Edit 2 - for my remark about Comcast, that was years ago. I know plenty of people that have it now that don't have problems with it, but also take into account, if it matters, that Comcast has a 250GB/month data usage limit, whereas Verizon does not.
300GB cap now, supposedly. The bandwidth monitor currently makes no mention of a cap though, which is odd. It used to say I had a cap and what it was.

I hit mine last summer running a minecraft server and they yelled at me. Beyond that though, I've never come close to it, even with torrents, Hulu and a bunch of other heavy stuff.

BMinkie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is my speed now and I pay 50 dollars a month :-(
for comcast its 34.99 a month for 20 mbps and then 7 dollars a month to rent the modem and 49.99 for installation I call what do you think?

2816484921.png

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
this is my speed now and I pay 50 dollars a month :-(
for comcast its 34.99 a month for 20 mbps and then 7 dollars a month to rent the modem and 49.99 for installation I call what do you think?

2816484921.png
You should be able to buy a cable modem on your own (eliminate $7 rental fee). I believe you can also do self-installation, saving that one time setup fee.

$34.99 sounds cheap, this is introductory price right?

BMinkie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes 34.99 for 12 months then it goes to 49.99

I cant do a self install cause I have no jack in my house for internet they have to install one which modem would be good?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

BMinkie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok I got a question hopefually you guys can help out I dont want to start a new thread

Lets say they install my new internet in my living room and it has wifi

would i need to move my computer to the living room to use internet?

does any computer need to be connected to the modem to use it?

BMinkie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok I got a question hopefually you guys can help out I dont want to start a new thread

Lets say they install my new internet in my living room and it has wifi

would i need to move my computer to the living room to use internet?

does any computer need to be connected to the modem to use it?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have just one computer, you do not need a modem.
Computer <--> Modem <--> Cable/Internet

If you have multiple computers or devices that need internet connection then you need a router.
Computers/Devices <--> Router <--> Modem <--> Cable/Internet

Most router alone allows 4 wire connections plus wireless network. So connection to router will either be,
* Computer <-- (Ethernet cable) --> Router
* Computer <-- (Powerline adapter) --> Router
* Computer <-- (Wireless) --> Router

You don't have to move your computer if you don't want it. You can always use long Ethernet cable, go wireless, or use powerline adapter, which is a compromise of both. Should you need to make 8 wire connections on router you'll also need a network switch or router that has 8 LAN ports.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...