Good FPS's for the DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by masvill20, Apr 13, 2008.

Apr 13, 2008

Good FPS's for the DS? by masvill20 at 9:59 AM (8,530 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. masvill20
    OP

Newcomer masvill20 Advanced Member

Philippines
    Hey guys! My buddies and I have been on a multiplayer addiction since we finally all had flashcarts. We really loved playing Metroid Prime 2 Echoes on the Gamecube, and have been looking for good first person shooters for the DS. We didn't really like MPH too much because of the waggling crosshair, but we did happen to love Call of Duty 4. Do you guys have any other games to suggest for local multiplayer first person shooting? Thanks!

BTW, are we the only ones that think CoD4's shooting mechanics are better than MPH's?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    You might consider the homebrew titles. There are a fair few DS ports of older titles and homebrew from the ground up.

Off the top of my head
    Quake 1 and 2
    Doom (not sure about sequels)
    Wolf3d
    Rise of the Triad
    Hexen
    Heretic
    Duck Hunt
    DScent (descent)

Homebrew
    FPSOnline
    Defi Noel
    There have been a fair few more but I am in a rush so I am afraid you will have to do some searching. A lot of them come from the french homebrew sites/authors so it is worth a look around those. Dev-fr and playeradvance being two of the biggest.

Commercial:
    Goldeneye (single player was horrific but multiplayer is bearable).
    Bionicle Heroes

3. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Hmm...I thought MPH's mechanics were its best asset. If only the game itself were interesting. CoD4 had a lot going for it, but the decision to make the zoom-in / out feature a double-tap thing was a mistake. I kept zooming in and out at inopportune times throughout the entire game. I still played through the game because the missions were fun and varied, but the game's mechanics needed a few tweaks, in my opinion.

As for other good FPSes on the DS, I second Bionicle Heroes. Never played the multiplayer (if there is any), but it has a good feel to it, as far as the controls go. Bros. In Arms, too, is a ton of fun, though technically it's a third-person shooter. That said, it controls exactly like an FPS. It also has some really good maps and some great weapons for doing silly shit in multiplayer. BiA would probably be my first choice for local multiplayer shooting.

4. masvill20
    OP

Philippines
    Thanks for your suggestions!

to irpacynot: in truth, we considered MPH's shooting mechanics better, save for the waggling crosshair, which we are not used to because we used to play some FPS's on the PC. And I will try Brothers in Arms! [​IMG]

5. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    there is no goldeneye homebrew game for the DS? :S anyways get metroid prime hunters for the DS, that has good multiplayer, hexen doom and quake are good homebrew but they are laggy as hell when i played them on the DS last time, not sure what they are like now.

edit: oh you are talking about the EA trash version of goldeneye...

6. masvill20
    OP

Philippines
    Seeing all the responses I've researched on the internet and here on GBAtemp, I guess we just didn't get used to the aiming mechanism of Metroid Prime Hunters yet. We'll give it one more try. [​IMG] And are the homebrew games multiplayer capable?

7. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Agreed.. the zooming on double tap was not a good decision, but aside from that, the controls are as good as MPH. But the game itself is not as good.. the gameplay is too linear, feels almost like a rail shooter. MPH on the other hand, has a too shallow single player mode.. it's like the game was made with multiplayer in mind, and the Story mode is there just as a bonus..

Well, if you liked CoD4 on the DS, you should try Brother's in Arms, which is not first person, but a good action/war/shooting game.. you might wanna try Dementium as well, and there are 2 or 3 fps games being made for the DS.. just wait some months [​IMG]

8. jalaneme

United Kingdom

have you actually played enough patches online to make that judgement? the best thing about metroid prime online is you have VOICE CHAT, how many first person shooters on the DS have you heard that has in built VOICE CHAT? and how can a totally free to play multiplayer deathmatch be compared to a on rails shooter? that don't make sense, the single player is actually like the 3D gamecube version of metroid prime, only difference is I ADMIT it ain't good as the gamecube versions but it's good enough to give it a once playthrough.

9. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    Well, Dementium the ward is singleplayer only but nonetheless a good FPS.

Moon and CoD V will rock too. then... lets see, C.O.R.E will follow and thats about it for now.

I just wished there was a CoD like online FPS for the DS.

EDIT: BTW, wasn't a official Quake Arena announced for the DS by John Carmack aswell ?

10. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Brothers in arms was good, if a little buggy.

11. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    i was going to mention Dementium the ward but it dosn't have multiplayer and he was looking for multiplayer only it seems.

and if quake arena came out on the DS i could only dream 0_0 i loved the dreamcast version [​IMG]

12. masvill20
    OP

Philippines
    Ok, so after a little testing with each game, I've come up with verdicts for each game (focused on the multiplayer aspect only).

Call of Duty 4 has great graphics for a handheld, although detail is very weak. The controls (save for the double tap to zoom command) are the best in all the FPS games. The multiplayer aspect is sorely lacking without the wi-fi component, but it is a hell a lot of fun to play locally, thanks to the map system and the fast pace of the game, although the lack of playable modes hurts the game.

Metroid Prime Hunters has the best graphics overall (good textures and varied environments for multiplayer). The controls are only second to CoD because of the waggling crosshair, although the jump keeps the controls of MPH close to CoD. The multiplayer aspect is the best because of its wi-fi and stats, and it's numerous game modes.

Brothers in Arms has only mediocre graphics because it is mostly just brown, gets very pixelated, and has a slow framerate. The controls are third, because of it's stiffness and the grenade aiming is just not my taste. The multiplayer aspect has no wi-fi, and is just decent.

Bionicle Heroes has good graphics with its good backgrounds, but bad models. The controls are horrible for me because the aiming is too slow and stiff. The multiplayer is slow and the weapons have too little variety for me, even if there are a lot of options.

GoldenEye Rogue Agent has the mediocre graphics (although definitely better than BiA). I could not find a control scheme that has a balance of efficiency and comfort. The multiplayer would have been good if the modes were more varied, because the stages were pretty good.

So all in all, my friends and I will stick to MPH, CoD4, and a little bit of BiA. (Unless I missed a good game? [​IMG])

13. monaug5

Member monaug5 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I suggest you wait a while longer for C.O.R.E as it seems to be very interesting [​IMG]

14. masvill20
    OP

Philippines
    I've honestly never heard of this game. [​IMG] Would you happen to have a link to any info on this game?

15. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    For me Dementium: The Ward is probably the best one, though the levels are poorly designed and if you suck at games then you won't like not being able to save in game.

COD4 should have has more time on it but it was ok, the developers should have gone for a DS version of CoD4 rather than a cut down version of the console ones.

Bionicle Heroes was very MPH but kinda bored me silly.

GoldenEye Rogue Agent, just avoid it.

Metroid Prime Hunters, pretty good but just not what I wanted to be honest, levels seem too small and I'm sure the DS can do better, I'm hoping for a sequel more in line with Quake 2's level sizes.

Other than running the likes of Quake 1 & 2, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Hexen, Heretic and Rise of the Triads there's not much. There is C.O.R.E. & Moon coming out later in the year though.

Also if you can play GBA stuff try Ecks Vs Sever (theres a second one but its boring), Ice Nine & Duke Nukem Advance.

16. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Hmmmm... so are there any good FPS with some good story? CoD was like, just a pair for PC version, but hey, its DS! [​IMG] (sorry, just talkin' to myself)

Hey, how bad is Goldeneye? It looks like everybody said: "just avoid it". I never played it, and it piques my interest.

17. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Not many good FPS's for the DS, hell there arent many good FPS's for handhelds. Only like some, heres some top of my head for the dS:
    CoD4(Call of duty 4, its not bad actually, finished it in 5 hours lol)

All i know, since other FPS's are shit.

18. Raestloz

Indonesia
    Well, it's DS, you can't expect PC class graphics and limitations, can you? [​IMG]

Anyway, how bad is Goldeneye?

19. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    Not too bad, I actually enjoyed the Singleplayer and the singlecard multiplayer was pure awesomeness due to dual weapon wield, armors and stuff like that.

20. Raestloz

Indonesia
    Hmmm...... might check it out someday.....

Does it have any other features?