good dsi flashcart for a 5-yr old...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by TinyBilbo, Feb 7, 2010.

Feb 7, 2010
  1. TinyBilbo
    OP

Member TinyBilbo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi,

Sorry for asking "which card is best..."

But the options are too many to check each spec and reviews by tomorrow.

My daughter's ds is dying... (cracked hinged, and upper lcd failing - One of her friends buggered it...)
    So I'm getting her a DSi XL as a replacement.
    I've got a friend who is in Hong Kong for a few days and I know a couple a places there for cheap Flashcarts and replacement LCD's.
    (gonna fix the ds-lite and claim it back from her... It was originally mine- she nabbed it from me when she was three!!)

But my friend only has one day to do his shopping (tomorrow).

So I need a quick recommendation for for a DSi Flashcart that is suitable (easy to navigate),
    for a young child (5yr). She has used a R4 and a M3 Real before.
    There is no need for anything fancy like, real-time saves, media players or even homebrew.
    Really, just a pretty, and fast GUI is all that is needed.
    Something that updates frequently would be nice as well.

The shops that I have in stock these cards,

R4i SHDC (all sorts of differnt types, Revolution,lites,christmas,hyper,gold,
    DSTTi
    iTouch 2
    AceKard 2 i
    M3i
    N5i
    Supercard Ds One
    EZ-VI
    Gei Revolution

Can anyone give me idea as to which one to get .

I'm leaning towards the M3 stuff, because I know them already...

Thanks

2. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Gotta be the acekard 2i that i recommend

3. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Definitely the AK2i. You can even lock it to 1 game only, like Pocket Physics.

4. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I'd reccomend the M3 Zero as your daughter is familiar with it. I do like my AK2 but I wouldn't say it's the best card for children as you can easily turn off game icons and the cut/copy/delete functions which could overcomplicate things.

5. mew512

Member mew512 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my sister had an original r4 when she was 4 and now can work the official r4i try that they are very simple but i havent tried any others so.....

6. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    To be honest, I wouldn't recommend an R4, even for a 5 year old...

7. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I'm not sure your post listing had typos, but make sure the flashcart of choice does have an "i", so it can run on the DSi. I believe there would only be 3 carts to seriously consider (not in any order of preference):
    M3iZero - approx USD$21+ online
    SCDSOnei - approx USD$22+ online
    Acekard2i - approx USD$13+ online

You've already moved on from R4, so don't go back! Although they all tend to work, R4 branded carts are all clones/fakes and will always have ongoing issues with game compatability / slow firmware updates, etc.
    The 3 carts I have listed all have varying pros & cons, so you can only decide which one suits. M3i for familiarity with M3DSReal, but loading is different (does not load directly into games selection screen - need to enter twice through Ninty warning & selecting M3iZero in Slot-1 on boot up).
    SC has just received a major improvement with the new EOS firmware released a couple of days ago. But in my opinion it still has a way to go to catch up to M3Sakura interface.
    AK2i is the cheapest, looks good, works good - but, it does have a few more advanced settings that show upon hitting the start button - such as, cut / paste / delete / etc. Could potentially be a concern for a 5yo, then again, it was always possibly to delete games through the R4.

I wouldn't worry too much about your child's age, they tend to pick up on these things quickly! I have a 4yo using an original R4 running official 1.18 FW through the Games icon & YSMenu running through Multimedia icon and she knows if it doesn't load through Games to try playing it through Multimedia.

Note: Not that this affects which one to choose, but your new Dsi will undoubtedly already be updated to the latest 1.4 firmware, so you will need to update (easy to do) your new flashcart. If you have trouble with that, search in the respective flashcart section to get your answer. My post ended up a lot longer than intended, but hopefully it helps. [​IMG]

8. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If the upper screen is flickering like mad, there's a pot in the battery compartment which can be adjusted to fix this.

9. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    There is no official R4i.

OP: I would have to say that the easiest flashcart to navigate for the DSi is the iEDGE. I just got one and it is simpler than all previous flashcarts I have used, which include the M3i, the DSTT, the R4, the Supercard(both Evolution OS and old OS), the Acekard 2i, and the EZ-Flash Vi.

10. The Pink Gato

Member The Pink Gato GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I agree with tattar8, too. The iEDGE is the perfect clone of the CycloDS to work on the DSi and it also has a wonderful, simple GUI.

~i-C-e~

11. dan80315

Member dan80315 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Definitely go with the aforementioned cards AK2i, M3iZero or SCDSOnei.

I'd personally go for the AK2i since it's very cheap and has great ROM compatibility.

12. hxcmusic

Newcomer hxcmusic Member

United States
    Where are you finding an AceKard2i for $13? The cheapest I can find it for is $24.

13. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
  14. BastarB

Member BastarB Advanced Member

Sweden
    Just a quick question, do all existing DSi-flashcards really work on the newest DSi, the DSi XL??? [​IMG]

15. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    As Gariscus said. Use the link and you'll have yourself a perfectly operating AK2i in no time(well, that's debatable, but I did receive mine in 10 calendar days).

16. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Yes. It is still a DSi.

17. BastarB

Member BastarB Advanced Member

Sweden
    Aha, but I thought nintendo said they where going to block existing DSi flashcards with the new XL model, I do not remember the source of this information thou=(

18. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom

19. TinyBilbo
    OP

Member TinyBilbo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks guys,

for all the input,

I have ordered an AceKard 2i, because of the consistent recommendations, updates,
    + the fact that they are only $10 [​IMG]

20. LittleBigMods

Member LittleBigMods GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Get the Acekard 2i. It's simple, fast and easy to use. Whatever you do, NEVER get an R4 from anyone, unless you ask some of the people on here about it first. They are easy to use, but so many of them are fakes/clones/bootleg copies.

EDIT: Good choice [​IMG]