Good cheap GPS?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Flooded, May 8, 2008.

1. Flooded
    OP

Flooded Banned

Banned
    Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    Can anyone suggest some good GPS devices that doesn't cost a arm and a leg. I want to put one in my truck seeing I will be traveling back in forth the places im not filmilar with. Anyone have any experence with any GPS devices? Also I have a truck and I don't know how to install it in so maybe a portable?(I'm not sure?)

Edit: also I don't want to pay a monthly fee is its possible.

2. Flooded
    OP

Flooded Banned

Banned
    Jan 13, 2008
    United States
  3. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    Depends what you mean by "cheap".

I'll tell you my own experience and I invite you to draw your own conclusion from it.
    A while ago I bought a cheap-ass USB GPS, intended for PC, made in China or Taiwan (does it really make a difference.. you know what I mean).
    It does work. I still have it, and it still works.
    But hell, what a pain in the ass! It'll take at least 5 minutes to heat up - that's if you're lucky. If you're not it might just not pick up any signal. It also goes crazy when you're in a city with buildings messing up the signal..
    And there's the fact that it's for PC. You have to own a GPS navigation software of some sort. You can pirate them so it's fine but don't expect miracles - there arent many good ones for PC. Also, since it's for PC it means you have to use a laptop and I swear it's annoying to use a laptop as a GPS in a car, believe me I tried. Even an EEE PC.

So, my own conclusions are: I wouldn't buy a GPS device for PC. I'd get a standalone GPS thingy with built in maps and stuff.
    On the other hand, it was a very cheap solution. Only cost me $80 (of course that's if you already have a laptop).
    Standalone GPS devices are a lot more expensive I'm afraid.

4. Flooded
    OP

Flooded Banned

Banned
    Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    I think I am going to to with the TomTom One 3rd Edition (unless someone knows of a better one around the same price 100 USD)
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php...ory=0&Lid=4

Comes with maps in it and free map updates and you can download updates from other users or TomTom approved ones. And its only 100 USD @ buy.com.

5. Jax

Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Jul 31, 2006
    Portugal
    L.A.V.
    TomTom is the best brand of GPs on the market.

My dad has a TomTom One XL (the only difference from the one you mentioned is a bigger screen, and has maps for 2 countries, Portugal and Spain)

6. arctic_flame

arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

Nov 4, 2006
    England land
  7. fischju

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
    That is awesome.

8. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    It runs Windows CE so it's more a PocketPC than a PC, I think. It looks awesome indeed!

9. Flooded
    OP

Flooded Banned

Banned
    Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    Does anyone know if TomTom updates are free? (maps/softwareupdate/etc)

10. arctic_flame

arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

Nov 4, 2006
    England land
    Yes and no...

*cough* torrent *cough*

11. SavageWaffle

SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    TomTom= Todays best GPS maker/company.
    No maps are NOT free.

12. mthrnite

mthrnite So it goes.

Former Staff
    Jun 30, 2006
    United States
    th' south
    Get that TomTom 3rd ed...
    I had a Navcon for a several months, very cheap, very basic, no touch screen, etc...
    The points of interest database SUCKED!
    I grew to hate it. When I bought the tomtom I felt guilty giving that piece of crap navcon away.

You get free updates in the way of getting user supplied map corrections and POI's. I think you have a year to update your map proper, but I'm not sure. I know the first map update is free though.
    The interface is great, the maps are great, it plays well with a Mac thank goodness, and it's just nifty.
    The only bad point is that the battery life is only a couple hours, which is no problem if it's in your car plugged up obviously.

I love mine, don't leave home without it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice