Hardware good/bad media for wii games

hackeruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
can anyone tell me what you class as good bad media for backups on wii games please i use maxell dvd-r/dvd+r and verbatim dvd+r dl for ssbb is that ok media?

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've used TDK from day one with my wii, and a few years back for my gamecube.. never once had a bad burn maybe i'm just lucky but even with dual layer media now i seem to have good luck with the TDK DL DVD+R spindle i got here
smile.gif

as far as maxell or verbatim i can't say as i've never used them, just figured i'd throw out there that TDK works good for me

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used Maxell DVD-R's for a while. They work fine but some games I need to reinsert because the Wii can't read them. Once I reinsert the DVD the game will start right where it left off. So it kinda sux but no too bad.

I should have ordered some Verbatim's or TDK's but I just went to my nearest store instead of ordering online and bought the Maxell DVD's. I was just too anxious to wait for an order online.

A friend let me borrow a couple Verbatim's and TDK games and they work much better. Don't be like me, you will save time and money getting one of those two brands of DVD-R's.
wink.gif

hackeruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
kk thanks for all your answer i think i will stick with verbatims then if there better for my wii laser then thats gd enough for me

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Verbatim -R. Although they're hard to find around these places.

A bad brand would be Platinum. None of my games worked on these.

mekaone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used Memorex sense my original Xbox days and seems to work very good for the Wii. As of late I had to use the Dual Layer discs and I have seen some bad reviews on the "Memorex DVD+R DL" because they changed the Manufacturing Plant so I purchased the "Verbatim DVD+R DL" and have burned a few and all seem to work very good. IMO both Memorex and Verbatim are very good products to try but I have also seen that what may work on one Wii may not work on another so it looks to me that everyone should try a few brands and see what one works the best. In general Verbatim seems to be a safe bet.

hackeruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
does it matter if it is dvd+r for none dual layer games as i have 2 games on them and they work fine but is it bad for the wii?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just use the dvd -r yellow bulkpaq discs. They are really cheap at the moment, something like £5.99 for 50. Looking at SVP now, I think they've changed the colour to orange. I've never had a coaster and all the games have run flawlessly on the wii.

link459

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been using these really cheap discs called "Great Quality"

They're actually very, very good. No issues with ANY media I've used them for. From Wii to PS2 to DVDs, they're great!

$10 for a pack of 50, amazing deal, great discs.
smile.gif

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I want to get dual-layer media for SSBB. I have the choice between Memorex and Verbatim, and I am leaning towards Verbatim, even though they are twice as expensive.
Do the Memorex DVD+R DL disks work fine for Brawl or do I need the Verbatim ones?

spankachu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
When I first installed my Wiikey, most games work fine. But now, since about the time Metroid 3 was released, almost every game I burn is giving me disk read errors. I'm using high quality TDK hub printable media, so I think my DVD Burner is not cutting it anymore. I'm going to upgrade to a new burner.

My question: is there a burner that is best for writing wii games? Does anyone who writes a lot of wii games have any opinions?

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
berlinka said:
Sadly for this topic I have to say I've yet to come across Bad Media, because every brand I use works. I almost think it's because my burner is pretty good one (SSBB DVD9 version worked flawlessly on the first try)

sorry

trust me, it's nothing to do with your burner. burner technology has progressed to a point where even a monkey would have a hard time making a coaster or non-readable disc. sure, it can happen, but smoke/dist is much more likely. wii lens/laser residue/dirt acocunt for far more problems than any media/burner combination, *especially* when we're talking about dual layer media. case in point: the wii-cleaning debacle going on in japan right now. and it most definately is going to happen here as well (smoking, it's not just bad for your lungs anymore), you can bet on it.

anyone who smokes a fair amount will know this because if you've ever seen a beam of sunlight cut through a cig-smoke filled room, it's easy to see how polluted the air is.

or, just take a paper towel and some windex and wipe a wall or tv/montor screen -- that yellow stain you see affects everything -- right down to the tiny lens inside your wii and other optical electronics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh