good adventure games?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by concealed identi, Aug 10, 2008.

Aug 10, 2008

good adventure games? by concealed identi at 2:49 PM (1,993 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. concealed identi
    OP

Member concealed identi GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    I'm going on an overseas trip soon and would like an addictive adventure-ish game to play on the flight over. Here's an idea of what I've enjoyed so far:

Zelda
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Castlevania (both of em)
    Soma Bringer

I haven't played Dementium except for a little bit on my friend's DS and liked it, but I've heard a LOT of complaints about the saving system, and I'm not sure I'm prepared for the whole "I just wasted the last 45 minutes because I died right before one of the few save points" experience.

Any recommendations?

2. Benandanti

Newcomer Benandanti Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Personally, I always enjoyed the Lost in Blue games (the 3rd one might be your best bet to start on, since it's more forgiving than previous games)

3. concealed identi
    OP

Japan

Yeah I tried one of them (don't remember which one), and I just remember it being pretty frustrating. Thanks for the tip, though.

Also (this isn't related to your post, just general info), I played the first Phoenix Wright game and liked it, but I thought it was too much reading and not enough actual gameplay. I also liked Touch Detective 2 1/2, but I thought the logic was shitty and kinda ruined the experience. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals wasn't bad, but I wasn't into the kiddy theme or Final Fantasy theme enough to continue it, really.

4. Benandanti

Newcomer Benandanti Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    If PW had too much reading for you, I'd recommend staying away from things like Hotel Dusk. Rune Factory could be worth a look, even though it's a love it/hate it kind of game.

5. FlameTakuya

Member FlameTakuya GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Singapore
    You don't like Phoenix Wright? That's too bad... (Seems to only appeal to people who enjoy reading and/or detective stories. Same with Hotel Dusk)

Tried "The World Ends With You" yet? It's really good too.

6. concealed identi
    OP

Japan
    Nah I definitely liked Phoenix Wright, and it's not that there was too much reading, but that there wasn't enough gameplay in between the reading. I didn't feel like I was playing a game so much as I was making a few choices to advance the story. I was into the old LucasArts adventure games as a kid, so playing something like Phoenix Wright feels like a step down...a well-written story, but without the fun gameplay.

I'll give The World Ends With You a shot...I don't really like anime, but if the game is fun I can probably ignore it.

7. concealed identi
    OP

Japan
    The World Ends With You wasn't really my thing at all...but thanks for the suggestion. Leaving tomorrow- any others?

8. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I'm guessing you have a flashcart?

ScummVM + Monkey Island 1 + 2.

9. concealed identi
    OP

Japan
    Nice one.

I used scummvm before and it was a pain in the ass to get set up and everything, but i remember getting it working eventually. I played Beneath a Steel Sky, but I guess I should look into other games, huh?

10. shairabaldama

Newcomer shairabaldama Member

United States

yeah i play this one along with Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk

11. unholyassassin

Newcomer unholyassassin Member

United States
    How about Lunar Knights?

~unholy [​IMG]

12. g4med4d

Member g4med4d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Was Soma Bringer released in the US?

I'm not requesting for roms, just wondering. [​IMG]

13. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Not yet, and if you had bothered to check the translation forum you would find a sticky about a translation project that has completed translation of ~78% of the game to date.

IIRC it is supposed to be released in US/Canada & EU (maybe) at some point... no date that I've seen, so it may even end up not being released like so many other decent games.

14. g4med4d

United States
    Cool! Thanks for the info! Glad to know that there's a translation project. There are plenty of good games released in Japan but too bad I cannot read japanese. [​IMG]

15. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    definitely try soma bringer. best looking DS game out right now. have you tried super mario 64?

16. g4med4d

United States
    No, I've not tried super mario 64. Is it an adventure game too? I tried The World Ends With You last night. It is a pretty confusing game but addicting though. Never seems to have a good 'place' to stop and rest.[​IMG]

17. .:Niki:.

Newcomer .:Niki:. Member

Italy
    I Love this Game!

18. linkenski

Member linkenski GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    Hotel Dusk is not for everyone. but every guy who loves story based games, and the story should be a big part of games, should try it. i cant wait for another one of those games!