Hardware Gonna buy one tomorrow (New XL): IPS? Glasses?

• Thread starter Deleted-390110
  • Start date
  • Views 2,227
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted-390110

OP
Hello community,

I decided to buy a New 3DS XL, primarily for N64/SNES/GB nostalgia purposes. Also I am really curious about this supposed 3D effect.

So, obviously I've heard about the two different screen versions and as you can imagine I am very keen on getting an IPS one.
In fact I've already called a few stores around my area (Switzerland/Germany) and two of them agreed to let me open the box and have a look. Actually they did it themselves right away as I mentioned it, lol, so they seem pretty chill guys. However, I don't think I am allowed to turn it on (except maybe in one Saturn) and so I wanted to ask you more experienced guys if it is somehow possible to distinguish them when turned off? I heard one is supposed to be more greyish and the other pitch-black. I'll try to find the one screenshot again and maybe will edit it in later.

Another option would be to postpone this step and first order one on Amazon and then simply return it in case it's a TN. I'm 100% sure they'll let me send it back even if I opened it and turn it on, as they made a mistake in their description, although I am not gonna write what as I don't want to lose this option. :P

So... What do you think? Was anyone in a similar situation or knows more on those points?

Oh, and just a little side-question for all wearers of glasses... Do you guys play without them? I was thinking it might be a much better experience, but I think I'd have to buy the little version then, as this would require to hold it really close (shortsightedness). Maybe I'll try it out in one of the stores.

Anyway... Thanks in advance, I'm happy about any input.

D

Deleted-390110

OP
Apparently a lot of people with IPS top / TN bottom screens say that, while turned off, the main screen is darker / pitch-black and the secondary one a little bit lighter.

Does anyone have a TN model to check or can confirm this?

Edit: Here's a confirmed model with top IPS and at the bottom/secondary TN.

Does it look different for anyone here when turned off? Both the same for ex.? Or do you know that you have a TN top screen but it still looks like this?
Pictures would be awesome of course.

cNCZbWk.jpg

prDO4GZ.jpg

Last edited by ,

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The images are a little misleading as the top screen is at a different angle to the lower screen, as a result the lower screen is reflecting the lighter ceiling while the top screen isn't, which could be why they look so different. The most surefire way to tell has to be by looking at the screen when powered on. It doesn't matter what the screens are displaying when you check though, I'm sure the stores won't mind you checking even if it's at the setup screen so long as you don't go through the setup process.

That being said, the difference between IPS and TN is almost indistinguishable during normal gameplay when you're looking directly at the screen. The colour change only kicks in when you view the screen at a very wide angle, which most people don't do during typical usage. There are some differences in colour and contrast between TN and IPS displays.

As for glasses, it doesn't seem to make much difference whether you wear them or not (except for vision clarity, depending on your vision). Glasses don't affect the 3D head tracking though.

(side note: I noticed that you mentioned N64 emulation and wanted to note that currently there isn't any N64 emulator available for 3DS)

Last edited by NekoMichi,
Reactions: Deleted-236924

Luanking

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would say,if you are looking on the screen while you are directly sitting in front of the 3DS,you wouldnt recognize any differnece between IPS and TN!

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The images are a little misleading as the top screen is at a different angle to the lower screen, as a result the lower screen is reflecting the lighter ceiling while the top screen isn't, which could be why they look so different. The most surefire way to tell has to be by looking at the screen when powered on. It doesn't matter what the screens are displaying when you check though, I'm sure the stores won't mind you checking even if it's at the setup screen so long as you don't go through the setup process.

That being said, the difference between IPS and TN is almost indistinguishable during normal gameplay when you're looking directly at the screen. The colour change only kicks in when you view the screen at a very wide angle, which most people don't do during typical usage.

As for glasses, it doesn't seem to make much difference whether you wear them or not (except for vision clarity, depending on your vision). Glasses don't affect the 3D head tracking though.

(side note: I noticed that you mentioned N64 emulation and wanted to note that currently there isn't any N64 emulator available for 3DS)

I would say,if you are looking on the screen while you are directly sitting in front of the 3DS,you wouldnt recognize any differnece between IPS and TN!

Not true the IPS screens handle crushed blacks better and are more vibrant.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
IPS screens handle crushed blacks better and are more vibrant.
Now that you mention it, I looked at both TN and IPS screens simultaneously and have to agree that there is a visible difference even when viewed straight on. In the past I have only viewed them one at a time and never side-by-side.

IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1332.JPG
IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG

Left: N3DS with dual TN displays, Right: N3DS XL with IPS top screen
Both consoles had been set to the same backlight brightness level​

Contrast on an IPS display is stronger, and this is particularly visible in darker environments with shadows. You can see this difference in the last picture from Majora's Mask where shadows on the stone wall in front of Link are much more pronounced on the XL whereas the TN display shows weaker shadowing. Also, the colours on a TN display seem a little warmer than on an IPS display.

Last edited by NekoMichi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse