Hacking Gonna be getting a 3ds in a couple of weeks...

alexg1989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be getting the New3DS, but I'm also interested in the hacking scene.

I'm very familiar with the PSP hacking scene...

What's the best way to hack the 3ds and how easy is it to get backup games running on the system?

Is the region lock finally over?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be getting the New3DS, but I'm also interested in the hacking scene.

I'm very familiar with the PSP hacking scene...

What's the best way to hack the 3ds and how easy is it to get backup games running on the system?

Is the region lock finally over?
You might want to get that system soon, otherwise you'll probably end up with one that has a firmware of 11.0 and you donn't want that. If you end up getting a console with 10.7 or lower, DO NOT UPDATE and follow this guide from Part 1 to Part 5 to set up the best CFW (in mine and in a lot of others' opinions).

As for backups, you'll want them in .cia format. You can then install them with FBI after you have CFW set up. And region locking is iver with a CFW, such as Luma3DS.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

alexg1989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for replying

Is firmware 11.0 unhackable or will it just take a whole to patch.

How high is the risk of bricking the system during the hacking process?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for replying

Is firmware 11.0 unhackable or will it just take a whole to patch.

How high is the risk of bricking the system during the hacking process?
With 11.0, you'd either need to get a hardmod done or use another system with CFW. There are some risks in the downgrading process but just be sure to follow the instructions as they are written and DO NOT skip any steps. A lot of errors I see nowadays are from user errors, meaning the user did something to royally screw themselves over.

alexg1989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With 11.0, you'd either need to get a hardmod done or use another system with CFW. There are some risks in the downgrading process but just be sure to follow the instructions as they are written and DO NOT skip any steps. A lot of errors I see nowadays are from user errors, meaning the user did something to royally screw themselves over.

Okay thanks... is there any recovery method if I somehow stupidly brick it? With the PSP there was the Pandora battery that could save a bricked system.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks... is there any recovery method if I somehow stupidly brick it? With the PSP there was the Pandora battery that could save a bricked system.
If it's a softbrick, you'll have to launch recovery mode (L+R+A+Up+Power button) to update it to 11.0, which, again, is something you don't want. If it's a hardbrick, you'll wanna find a nice place on a shelf for it and use it as a decoration because that's all it's gonna be good for.

Roomsaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a softbrick, you'll have to launch recovery mode (L+R+A+Up+Power button) to update it to 11.0, which, again, is something you don't want. If it's a hardbrick, you'll wanna find a nice place on a shelf for it and use it as a decoration because that's all it's gonna be good for.
Hardmod recovery tho... As long as he makes a NAND backup before bricking.

Reactions: KunoichiZ

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You CAN become protected from bricks if you install a hack method called arm9loaderhax, which lets the sd card have access before the nand, so if your nand bricks (where your operating system is stored) you can restore a nand backup you made before. However, you will need to downgrade at least two times, and spend a few hours installing it. While the process has had improvements and has been made much safer (almost 100% success rate), there is a chance you will brick. If you do brick, you will need to get a hardmod, which is about $60. But I wouldn't worry, getting your 3ds hacked is VERY safe at this point, and there is a lot of support if you mess up your device

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how easy is it to get backup games running on the system?
I have to personally recommend TIKdevil. You run it once, then go directly to the eshop to "re-download" your "purchased" games.
I like it way better than installing .cia files, because you can queue a bunch of them up, put your 3ds into safe mode and they will all install while you do more productive things.
The only downside to it is that it uses user-submitted tickets so you probably won't be able to get the more obscure releases. You also obviously can't get games that only have a physical release. You'll have to use a .cia for those still.

zezzo

The "Black Ace"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to personally recommend TIKdevil. You run it once, then go directly to the eshop to "re-download" your "purchased" games.
I like it way better than installing .cia files, because you can queue a bunch of them up, put your 3ds into safe mode and they will all install while you do more productive things.
The only downside to it is that it uses user-submitted tickets so you probably won't be able to get the more obscure releases. You also obviously can't get games that only have a physical release. You'll have to use a .cia for those still.
Dude I would recommend free shop. It is faster and easier.

alexg1989

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Free shop sounds handy... VERY handy... lol...

Couple more questions. I won't be getting the New 3DS after all. I'd rather cheap out and settle on the 2ds... It probably doesn't matter but I'll ask anyway, is there any difference cfw wise between the 3ds models and the 2DS?

With the PSP years ago, there were issues with some models being able to run cfw, and other models like the 3000 and the Go weren't able to until I think the keys were found...

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Couple more questions. I won't be getting the New 3DS after all. I'd rather cheap out and settle on the 2ds... It probably doesn't matter but I'll ask anyway, is there any difference cfw wise between the 3ds models and the 2DS?

With the PSP years ago, there were issues with some models being able to run cfw, and other models like the 3000 and the Go weren't able to until I think the keys were found...
Not really except screen streaming. The CFW proccess you should be the same.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There are no differences between the 2ds and o3ds cfw wise. They are both the same except for system settings and no 3d slider (which is the only reason why there is a different system settings). Just note that you are going to be carrying around a large brick instead of a small brick if you plan on actually taking it places. One more thing: do not buy a refurbished or used one from Nintendo or gamestop (second one can be ignored if you can convince them to let you see the firmwares they are on before buying).

edit: also worth stating that emulators are sometimes significantly slower on the o3ds/2ds hardware. Most of these are retroarch cores though.

Last edited by ih8ih8sn0w,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse