ROM Hack Golden Sun TLA editor & GBA audio data ripping tool

cawwe123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but some of hack roms can resolve that?..if you have a hack of golden sun..i should try what is the differences..
how long the progress of the golden sun hack?no beta?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually there may be a way although agree it is fairly complex and without testing to know then it may not even work.

The GBA has video memory, there are background and there are sprites. Each has a priority and there are a bunch of things that can be done ( http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/video.htm , http://www.cs.rit.edu/~tjh8300/CowBite/Cow...ware%20Overview and http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#gbalcdvideocontroller ). It is fairly complex and so emulation can occasionally get it wrong (ever had to set background priorities on a SNES emulator, same idea) and sometimes completely overlooks it.

Video is defined by various memory sections (see gbatek above) which are naturally writeable by the GBA (and especially an emulator), you can tweak these with a memory editor or a cheat (which you can hardpatch into the rom with GBAATM http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=99334 if your emulator lacks the ability).

The characters are most likely sprites, the text is most likely a background and the actual "background" is almost certainly a background). Mess with the priorities and display.

Atrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldensunhacking.net
XP
Country
United States
TextEditing.gif

There you go, I still need to do a lot of back end work before I can actually turn the text viewer into an editor, but at least I've got the compression algorithm now. I tested it on a few lines from the game, and I think my algorithm actually shaved a couple bits off of some of them. Of course I'll also make Item/Enemy/e.t.c. names/descriptions/e.t.c editable from their own menus too to make things easier.

Atrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldensunhacking.net
XP
Country
United States
How about an update on what I've been working on so you all know the editor isn't dead yet.

The way some of GS TLA's data is arranged is very peculiar, yet very helpful at the same time. At the end of the ROM file there is a large array containing various types of data ranging from graphics, to the games code itself. The new feature of the editor will allow you to browse through all of this data.

It's still in very early stages of development, so it will likely be improved before version 0.3 is released.

GSTLA_editor19.png

Viewing a palette for a map

GSTLA_editor20.png

A tileset, eventually you'll be able to load palettes with them so they aren't just black & white.

GSTLA_editor18.png

A menu graphic

GSTLA_editor22.png

A graphic for one of the Pierrot classes attacks. Despite not knowing what this was the data browser managed to identify at as being compressed, and decompressed it for us, how nice of it. Using the image viewing mode we can see the actual graphic.

GSTLA_editor21.png

Using the Hex option (which will eventually be a full fledged hex editor) on the data browser we see some unidentified data here. To a trained eye this looks a lot like map data, and that makes sense considering what it's surrounded by. The interesting thing though, is that the editor couldn't identify it as map data which means it isn't actually used in the game at all. Mmm... I do believe the unidentified data below it looks a lot like palette, and tileset data that isn't used at all either. Looks like despite having a map viewer, we still haven't seen all of the maps hidden away in TLA's data.

Also you may notice a value on the top bar of the editor, "1159.57Kb" or something around there. You may have also noticed that this was present in v0.2, but always read "0Kb" Well, now that the automatic repointing system (which assists in the editing of compressed data, ensuring it doesn't accidentally overwrite other data in the game) is finished and working, it keeps track of the amount of empty space in the ROM it has to work with. Golden Sun TLA in fact has 1159.57Kb of detectable empty space to work with, in contrast the original Golden Sun only has 67.36Kb.

Also, this isn't something in the editor yet, but I've been working on the compression algorithms so I could compress things into the format some of the games data is in, and managed to use them to create a new cutscene.

All text editing for this was done in the editor.

Velveteer

Trophies
XP
Country
Haha, that cutscene's brilliant. It looks like the program's really coming along. Hopefully we'll be able to see some proper GS ROM hacks one day.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Atrius very nice work as usual and you say 64 odd K: the GBA can/does address the entire 32 meg space but even if you wanted to keep it under 16 megs for the sake of things like the 3 in 1 to expand the rom you just need to point an address to it and make sure something is there.

All versions of the original golden sun were 64Mbit as well so I would argue you in fact have an entire 8 megabytes (the entire game again for those following along at home) and whatever you can scrounge from within the rom itself.

Atrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldensunhacking.net
XP
Country
United States
It's just counting the space that's available in the ROM at it's current size, of course you'll be able to expand the ROM to a full 32MB. It would make sense to have it count that extra possible space as well though, wouldn't it?

Atrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldensunhacking.net
XP
Country
United States
Time for another update on a cool new feature of the editor. The more I work on the Data Browser feature the more I come to love it, It is without a doubt my favorite feature of the editor so far.

GSTLA_editor23.png

What is it doing here you ask? Quite amazingly, it's scanned through a section of the games code and automatically detected pointers to data. This means no more tedious searching for all of the data that hasn't been located yet, now just go through the lists and figure out what's what! Anyone whose performed low-level hacking should be able to appreciate exactly what this means, at this rate the editor will practically do all of my hard work for me! If only I could get it to generate compression algorithms... It was even nice enough to match what's already been identified with a provided list, and label it.

Not only that, but while searching for all those pointers it keeps a tally of code functions it scans through. This means that it can track where the data is accessed from in the game's code, I'm sure our more seasoned hackers can think of plenty of uses for that kind of information.
GSTLA_editor24.png

Using these new features, I've easily located Djinn, Summon, and several other bits of miscellaneous data so far.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been known to use pointers for simple things but that is taking it to a level I did not think I would see. Nice work as always Atrius.

Shinryuji

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This looks absolutely amasing, Atrius! What you are making is truly impressive, but one question, do we need the .NETFramework to run this? If not, then brilliant! If so, then damn... (Is a mac user
tongue.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    Veho @ Veho: Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.