ROM Hack Golden Sun hacking goodness (Warning:lots of pictures & video)

Atrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldensunhacking.net
XP
Country
United States
Been a while since I came by here, I would be the guy behind the Golden Sun: The Lost Age Editor.

So letsee... Where to start.... Since version 0.2 of the editor a number of new features have been worked on. I'd finally cracked the issues in the way of a text editor, so that'll make it into the next version. In fact, this entire video was done with an in development version of the editor:

What you can do with NPC's is still fairly limited. You can't add new ones yet, just edit the ones that are already there. Here are a couple screen shots from the Map Viewer/NPC editing interface, click on the thumbnails for the full sized image.

From left to right:
1) Text editing is possible from within the NPC editing interface, which is still a work in progress ("Finished", and a "Finished Too" button?) Only dialogue that is directly linked to the NPC will show up here, so no cutscene dialogue unfortunately although there is a separate all inclusive text editor for anything that isn't accessible anywhere else in the editor's interface.
2) Assembly script viewer. Although you can't edit them yet, you can view assembly scripts linked to the NPC's.
3) Idle script viewer, basically what the NPC does when the player isn't interacting with it. Golden Sun uses it's own format for these, which the editor kindly translates to easy to understand text for us.

Data Viewer
The way some of GS TLA's data is arranged is very peculiar, yet helpful at the same time. At the end of the ROM file there is a large array containing various types of data ranging from graphics, to the games code itself. Although it may not make it into the next version of the editor because of how much work it will take to get it to a presentable state, the idea of the data viewer is to be able to browse through ALL of this data. A few sample images are located below, click for full view.

Again, left to right:
1) Palette viewer, pretty simple, just colors used for a map.
2) Tileset, eventually you'll be able to load them with a palette to view them in color.
3) A graphic. The interesting thing to note here is that the editor was unable to identify it initially, it did however realize it was compressed, and decompress it for us. By switching the data viewers mode over to image viewing we're able to now see the graphic.
4) Hex editing mode. Yes, even though the editor is designed for user friendliness it will allow you to do some low level hex editing if that's your desire.

Now then, as I mentioned this data array also includes pointers to the game's code. What's quickly become one of my favorite new features of the data viewer is it's ability to scan the code for data pointers. Oh yes, you heard that right, the editor has a built in assembly code scanner that locates pointers to data in the games programming.
GSTLA_editor23.png

As you can see it labels already identified data, but not only that, as it performs this scan it keeps track of where it is, and where it came from. In short, not only does it automatically find data for you, it also tells you where it's used in the game's programming.
GSTLA_editor24.png

I imagine this feature will be extremely useful if you know how to use it. It's already become invaluable to me.

Experimentation videos
These are videos I created while experimented with editing various data in the game. It won't be possible to do this kind of stuff in the editor yet, but it's proof that it is possible, and I am actively looking into how to achieve it for future versions.

Oh yes, the unleash of the mythical wheat sword. For this video I took Flora's summon, changed the background, edited the flower petal palette, and replaced her graphic.

Cutscene editing, a fairly simple example, but hey, editing ASM code with nothing but a HEX editor is tricky!

Another custom sprite insertion demonstration, this time with music to match!

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
About time Atrius posted here... Seen almost all of this on the forums already. However, good thing he posted here, more people will know 'bout the editor this way and maybe contribute a bit on the forums, like I haven't.
smile.gif

However, I must say that it's a great editor to work with!

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I love seeing updates to the editor. I know that I would not be able to do anything like it but I would love to play any finished products.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
TBH, I nave never played, nor really heard of Golden Sun before. It seems like a nice game.

Hope you do well!
If you dont know the games, you owe it to yourself to play the games. They are some of the best RPG's on the Gameboy Advance.

Atrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldensunhacking.net
XP
Country
United States
Happy 2nd Anniversary Golden Sun: TLA Editor

Two years ago today the first version of the Golden Sun: TLA Editor was sent out into the world, here's a video to celebrate the anniversary and show what's in store for the future.

If it weren't for the fact that my video editor didn't decide to actually work until the day before I may have been able to do something that didn't completely suck. Of course I also blame my video capturing software, after all it doesn't even show that the cursor actually does change when you hover the mouse over a text field.

And yes, that message at the end of the video does mean that v0.3 is expected out sometime this month in case there was any confusion. Some stuff shown is still WIP so it there may be differences by the time of release.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse