MaxiPower90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was just wondering if there is any tool available for rom hacking Golden sun. I have a tool called GStoolkit which allows you to change the text in the game but that is not enough. I was wondering if there has anybody here got experience in making editors. i see alot of Pokemon and metroid rom hacks all over the net but was wondering has anyone got what it takes to step into something new to do Golden Sun as i no myself it would be no easy task

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NslYrZ_KlmU

this video demonstrates how the GStoolkit works however it only works on the orignial golden sun and not the Sequel "The Lost Age"

so, if anyone wants to give it a shot, leave a comment and i,ll get back to you

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
MaxiPower90 said:
I was just wondering if there is any tool available for rom hacking Golden sun. I have a tool called GStoolkit which allows you to change the text in the game but that is not enough. I was wondering if there has anybody here got experience in making editors. i see alot of Pokemon and metroid rom hacks all over the net but was wondering has anyone got what it takes to step into something new to do Golden Sun as i no myself it would be no easy task

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NslYrZ_KlmU

this video demonstrates how the GStoolkit works however it only works on the orignial golden sun and not the Sequel "The Lost Age"

so, if anyone wants to give it a shot, leave a comment and i,ll get back to you

Nope, there aren't any. Otherwise everyone would be making their own rip-offs. The best you can do is getting those hacking tools and editing everything fresh through HEX coding. I don't know much about that since I'm not a ROM hacker.

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
MaxiPower90 said:
i opened it up in Hex but i haven't a clue what any of it means.. like theres a lot of numbers but were do you start? lol any tips

No idea
laugh.gif

Ask an active ROM hacker, just search the GBA/NDS ROM hacking forums to see who hacks and ask them. But don't tell them I told you to. You can also see some tutorials on Google.

However, it's not going to be easy, especially for someone that has never hacked a ROM before. I suggest you don't bother, start with something smaller.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Major bump, but seeing as all the sprites got ripped, and world map/town tiles, you could make your own GS game quicker than reversing the commercial one.

Atrius

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldensunhacking.net
XP
Country
United States
MaxiPower90 already knows this, but I'm working on hacking Golden Sun.

So far I've managed to figure out quite a bit about items, a little on enemies, nearly all of the sprite data (I probably have the largest collection of GS graphics around since I dumped everything I could from the game, if anyone wants them), some stuff on NPCs, and enough about the maps, and other necessary data to directly rip their tiling data, or even load it into a program.

Getting NPC, and event data for places is proving to be a bit of a problem, each area has it's own custom assembly code it runs before giving an exact location for the data, and it can be different depending on event triggers & such. It's gonna be 'fun' trying to write a tool to edit that.

For the fun of it, here's a video where I was messing around with stuff while playing the game.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You think hacking is easy.If you want to make an enjoyable game it will at least take a year.This is why most projects that are started are never finished.I once tried to make a hack of Chrono Trigger.I had a really good Idea for it,but after the first two weeks I quit.Maybe when I am older,and more skilled I can resume my amazing idea.Do you want to know what it is?

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1)Making a game in general takes programming experience, and before you make anything even close to a commercial game, you can bet that you'll be spending at least 2 years+ for experience.
2)Editing it will take almost as long as making one, however having tools dramatically reduces the time, it's stilll ridiculously time consuming!
3)You most likely will crap out half way as Eternal Myst stated, it happens to almost every single beginner, they have a good idea, crap out cause they don't have the patience once they realize how friggin' long it will take!
4)It's honestly not worth it, the better route is obviously programming, so just start by learning a language like C/C++ (Easier to move to the DS :3), learn how to start some games, make some demos, and then from there move on.

RPGs in general take a group of at least 10 people a year or so to make, they generally have larger groups though, but it depends on the game, so you can expect to take a long time making it.
For a lot of information about programming and experiencd articles on many different things (A lot is about MMOs, but it's all around rly) http://www.mxac.com.au/drt/default.htm

@^ - I want to know what it was o_o;

sean0007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To understand hex you need to know binary (0 and 1) and translate each of those to a character. Most games are encrypted so it will look like jumbled text anyways so hex will not be your best bet. To summarize hex in the simplest way I can:

Hex is also called Base 16 because there are 16 different values you will see. Each hex value is 0-9 and A-F (10-15) and grouped in a pair. These values represent a binary byte (a group of 8 -- 1s and 0s -- ie. 00100001 or capital letter A in plain text) broken in half (0010 and 0001) and calculated for each side to add to 16 (for the sixteen possible combinations of 0 and 1 for each half).

Taking from the original example the hex value would be 21 in a hex editor. You still need to know programming as the capital letter A will be part of the program.

Hope this gets you started, I've been programming for 10 years now and the hardest part is getting started and dedicating the huge amount of time it takes, don't give up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.