ROM Hack Golden Sun English Conversion

TerraPhantm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli discovered that when you unpack the Golden Sun Dark Dawn rom w/ DSbuff, that there seem to be several files that indicate multiple languages being somewhere in the ROM. Armed with this information, I tried changing the header from BO5J to BO5E. This changed the main logo to what I presume is the US version, but none of the other language-specific elements load properly. I'm thinking there might be more changes needed for them to load? It doesn't seem like the Japanese files are any larger than the English files, so I would think they are complete.

I'm hoping someone with hacking skills that I don't have could take a look and maybe figure it out

GSDD.png
vs
GSDDJ.png

Update: NahuelDS made some solid progress!

NahuelDS said:
Golden Sun - Dark Dawn (Spanish Patch v2)

Thanks to Barubary I realized that there is some text translated in the rom. I believe that all of the game text is inside the msg_field.dat file. The funny thing is when I opened the english version of this file I found this:
*(+‚,ª-š/|1ø2Œ4n5¢6¼7Ú8¬?–@BB DØE,FúFH4I¨J–K,L(NDOLP|Q

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
TerraPhantm said:
Goli discovered that when you unpack the Golden Sun Dark Dawn rom w/ DSbuff, that there seem to be several files that indicate multiple languages being somewhere in the ROM. Armed with this information, I tried changing the header from BO5J to BO5E. This changed the main logo to what I presume is the US version, but none of the other language-specific elements load properly. I'm thinking there might be more changes needed for them to load? It doesn't seem like the Japanese files are any larger than the English files, so I would think they are complete.

I'm hoping someone with hacking skills that I don't have could take a look and maybe figure it out

GSDD.png
vs
GSDDJ.png

I have a little undubbing and "replacing language" skills... I am going to give this a look see and I'll come back with my findings soon.

TerraPhantm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
supermega_boy said:
People just wait for a month to get the US version!
I fully intend to buy the US version once it's out. It'd just be nice to play the english version now if it's already hidden away in the rom

Spenstar

"Leave it to me"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
Spenstar said:
Wait..
ohmy.gif
the game has already been dumped?

Ha ha ha. Yeah. =P

Today, apparently. I was surprised to see it dumped already too.

Awesome! Time to try it out
wink.gif

QUOTE(supermega_boy @ Oct 27 2010, 03:06 PM)
People just wait for a month to get the US version!
Not if you know Japanese
biggrin.gif

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Deleting all other language files and repack the rom didn't work :/ maybe if i change the header too.

EDIT: only keept the english language files + edited header. rom boot as black :/

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CrimzonEyed said:
Deleting all other language files and repack the rom didn't work :/ maybe if i change the header too.

I have no idea how the files are arranged since I havent looked at it BUT how about you try swapping the filenames for the Japanese and English language files?? If they are named by language, otherwise idk...

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it might be dumped but there are like 10 of us who can't get it working on the DSTWO, like people says it works. It's very disconcerting.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Zaertix said:
Yeah it might be dumped but there are like 10 of us who can't get it working on the DSTWO, like people says it works. It's very disconcerting.
DSTwo vs Wood. Who will update first?
smile.gif

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
suruz said:
CrimzonEyed said:

I have no idea how the files are arranged since I havent looked at it BUT how about you try swapping the filenames for the Japanese and English language files?? If they are named by language, otherwise idk...
Renaming files doesn't work.

dark_sol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Poked around the files for a bit, and it looks like there used to be other language files in there but they were removed. My bet is is that Nintendo removed the other language files for this release knowing that people would poke around and try to get an english version early.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse