Hacking Going to get a modchip

jrsaysbiteme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok i said screw it, im going to get a modchip. What do i need from my wii to indicate which one i can get? Ive had my wii for a long time so. I know this question has been asked by tons of people, tons of times but now its my turn. Which mod chip should i get. Of course i want the best one as always. A friend of mien sent his wii away to get it down but im sure i can do it. Any information will certainly be gratefully appreciated.

tedmg09130913

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever modchip you get you might be better getting it with a wiiclip. Then if you have to send back your wii for repairs, you can simply remove the wiiclip.

trancegemini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would get a wii-clip and install it yourself. It is much cheaper this way. You can order the wii-clip with any modchip you want soldered on. If you have a older model wii i would get a wiikey as it is cheaper for like 55 i got a wiikey solder on a wii-clip and triwing. Then all you will need is a 2mm philips screwdriver. It is not hard to install. It took me a hour my first time ( it should not take most this long i just took a long time to screw it back up ). I have big hands and am no good at all at this sort of thing and i did it. Make sure to find out what drive you have before you get a modchip. Check http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/search.php to find out what drive you have it is true the only way to know 100% is to open your wii and check the drive. However depending on your drive that site can tell you what drive you have with very good accuracy.

jrsaysbiteme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hows the D2Pro9 v3 w/D2E Support? and whats the difference with puting it on the wii with just the D2Pro9 v3 w/D2E Support and the D2Pro9 v3 w/D2E Support with the wiiclip?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Look at wiidrives.com if yo have a DMS/D2A or D2B with uncut pins you should definatly get a YAOSM. (if you don't want to solder a free-clip programmed with YAOSM)

Edit: If you have your wii for a long time you won't need a chip that supports the D2E-drives. And if you really have one of the old D2A/DMS/D2B drives a D2Pro would be a total overkill.

The difference between wii-clip and no wii-clip is, that you'll have to solder without one.
wink.gif

trancegemini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The d2pro 9 will work good for you. Make sure to get this type though so you get the right version. Older chips required you to pick a firmware http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/D2Pro9...iant-p-135.html If you get it soldered on with the wiiclip you can install it yourself. The wiiclip just plugs into a chip on the drive. This way you can install it yourself. So if you want to install it yourself and save on money without needing to know how to solder that is the way to go.

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slowking said:
Look at wiidrives.com if yo have a DMS/D2A or D2B with uncut pins you should definatly get a YAOSM. (if you don't want to solder a free-clip programmed with YAOSM)

Edit: If you have your wii for a long time you won't need a chip that supports the D2E-drives. And if you really have one of the old D2A/DMS/D2B drives a D2Pro would be a total overkill.

The difference between wii-clip and no wii-clip is, that you'll have to solder without one.
wink.gif
Yeah, I'd get the free-clip if they don't want to solder and have the older drives. Plus..they're back in stock at DX and are only $25.

Zerxer

Trophies
Website
www.sitexero.net
XP
Country
United States
I am also highly considering getting a modchip after having a taste of backups with the backup loader. I was thinking about making a thread about which to get too but what's the point when I can easily jump into this thread?

Okay so I entered my serial on that site and it says:
Your Drive Chip is most likely GC2-D2C.
Your Drive Pins are most likely not cut.

Assuming that is correct (I'll probably open it up later just to make sure), would I be able to install a WiiKey on a clip? I'm assuming that WiiKey is the best to get if you're able to and that it plays every game out there so far flawlessly? Oh and when you're running a modchip, do you have to downgrade your Wii's system version or whatever it is from 3.3 to 3.2? Not sure if you still have to use the trucha bug on discs you run when using a modchip and whether or not the trucha bug still requires 3.2.

EDIT: wiidrives.com says "There is a 100% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C (v1)."; is that completely trustable then?

Okay so I just learned that the WiiKey is not compatible with D2C. What is recommended then? D2Pro9?

Zerxer

Trophies
Website
www.sitexero.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, this thread is slowly being pushed back pages. Can anyone tell me what's different between the D2Lite and the D2Pro9? It's cheaper for one so what does that mean? As long as it can still boot Wii/GC backups perfectly..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt