Hacking Going to get a 2DS, but need to know some stuff first...

Pantsface16

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing someone's asked this, but I couldn't find the forum post for it...
So I'm wondering, is a 2DS hackable? (I'm pretty sure it is after looking around here, but I gotta make sure.)
If so, can someone let me know of a good flash cartridge, but not something like gateway 3DS (with this brick code and what not.)
Also, do working 3DS roms for 2DS exist on the internet? I'd rather download them than ripping them from cartridges...
Thanks! :lol:

TinyRick

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming by 'hacking', you mean playing games off a flashcart.

To answer your questions.

1. No it is not. It doesn't work on 2DS due to bundled system version at manufacturing time.(The firmware on them when they were released is post 4.5).

Source here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_ha...the_System_version_before_buying_a_new_3DS.3F

*Note that does not mean you can't load DS games using something like the DSTWO, this just means that currently there is no flashcart for the 2DS capable of playing 3DS games*

2. From what I remember, the Gateway team has removed the brick code since their 2.1 release. (Currently 2.2). Gateway is still the best flashcart for playing 3DS games on a 3DS that has firmware 4.1-4.5.

3. The 2DS plays just regular 3DS games. So any rips would be the same anyhow. There's no '2DS' and '3DS' games. They would be the same. We don't condone piracy here on GBATEMP. I can tell you that there are 3DS games out there on the internet, but no linking. Google's your friend here.

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing someone's asked this, but I couldn't find the forum post for it...
So I'm wondering, is a 2DS hackable? (I'm pretty sure it is after looking around here, but I gotta make sure.)
If so, can someone let me know of a good flash cartridge, but not something like gateway 3DS (with this brick code and what not.)
Also, do working 3DS roms for 2DS exist on the internet? I'd rather download them than ripping them from cartridges...
Thanks! :lol:

I am going to break it down to better address your post

"I'm guessing someone's asked this, but I couldn't find the forum post for it...
So I'm wondering, is a 2DS hackable? (I'm pretty sure it is after looking around here, but I gotta make sure.)"

You CAN play ds roms as well as older emulators you CAN NOT play 3ds games. Since the 2ds was manufactured post 4.5 unless an exploit comes out for a newer firmware you're SOL

"If so, can someone let me know of a good flash cartridge, but not something like gateway 3DS (with this brick code and what not.)"

I have never heard of a "brick code" so that is new to me.... As far as a DS rom cart I think the DSTWO is your best bet

"Also, do working 3DS roms for 2DS exist on the internet? I'd rather download them than ripping them from cartridges..."

As I mentioned before there is no way of playing 3ds roms on the 2ds; only DS, emulators and homebrew

thebatdadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have said already, no, the 2DS is not 'hackable.' It can play flashcards where you can do DS, GBA, SNES, GBC, etc games, but at the moment no 2DS can run 3DS roms since you need a firmware of 4.5 or under for that. All 2DS systems come shipped with firmwares that are higher than that.

edit: just saw your post TC, right after I posed this. Ah well, carry on:yaysp:

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if the 2ds was hackable it would use just 3ds roms, right ?

Same goes for the 3DS and 3DS XL. Right now, smealum found an exploit, SSSpwn, but it'll be limited so that it won't be used for piracy. Unless someone or some group decides to reverse engineer the exploit and find other ways to break through. Then, we might see 3DS roms playable without flashcarts.

Pantsface16

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, if the above post is true, I guess all my questions aren't answered after all. :blink:
In any case, can someone recommend me a good flash cartridge or try to defend the gateway 3DS? Something not too expensive?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Basically you don't want good you want cheap, only NDS. Carts will work so forget any thoughts of playing 3ds roms

You have a choice
r4i gold (not the deluxe edition that is for 3ds roms....which again is not usable on a 2d's)there is like 101 cards using similar names so make sure the one you buy is 8.x compatible as that's the. Latest revision

Or if you want extra features like gba games and snes games you can get a Dstwo but it is quite a bit more pricey

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were you I wouldn't trust gateway & go with MT flashcard instead for playing 3DS roms in the future on 2DS once its hacked or if its ever hacked they'll probably ignore 2DS owners like they did with the DSi which is why I'm getting my 2DS modded with USB port incase the find a way to decrypt/encrypt nand files.

Once they find a way to decrypt/encrypt nand files for use on any 3DS version meaning 3DS regular,XL or 2DS & be able to sign them I intend on using my 3DS nand dump on my 2DS since my 3DS hasn't been updated in a long time

Pantsface16

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I'm probably going to get a 3DS over a 2DS after your replies, meaning I do want cartridges capable of playing 3DS roms... So, yeah, these R4i cards seem alright... anyone else recommend a card?

D

Deleted User

Get a Gateway card, they are safe to use. You will have more features and get them first before other flashcards manage to copy them

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can count the people who ever had any bricking trouble (or even at least claimed to have them) on one hand... Totally overblown rumors about it.

Pantsface16

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, hopefully everything here is right, and gateway doesn't brick unless you like... i don't know, do complicated stuff that im not going to do...
So I'm hoping no one else is going to bring anything up and therefore this topic can close?
That's what I thought :yaysp:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol