Hardware Going to Buy hdd For Wii - Suggestions?

grifterb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I believe I opened my thread in the wrong section and therefore could not get enought attention to my questions, I'm sorry about that.

Anyway, I finally managed to come down to two possible products that I'd like to buy as my permanent hdd for my wii.

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-500GB-Portable-External-Storage/dp/B006Y5UV4U/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
or
http://www.amazon.it/Western-Digita...nts-Portable/dp/B005A97A86/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

both are portable devices, so there will not be any external power support, but since they are both 500gb, from what I know there won't be any problems.

Just to remind you guys, I'm using a backwards compatible white wii, so I'm looking for both Wii and NGC compatibility. If anyone uses these products and is happy with them, please share your experiences or suggestions.

grifterb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, how is it better actually? I only have access to those two I mentioned, but if it is significantly better I may extend my sources.

EDIT: Compatibility list says the one you suggest has some issues, I may be wrong, but It would be easier for me to get one of these two.

Daidude

Puzzled
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They are both good choices, the my passport one is newer and smaller i believe but the other one is a good choice as well. I've owned the western digital elements one and i think it was a good choice. If I were you I'd go for the my passport as it is newer and smaller but if you want to save money the elements one is cheaper and still a good performer. They're both by the same reliable brand so I don't think you'll go wrong with either of them.

grifterb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, there is not a huge price difference between them, and since all I want is the compatibility with Wii and NGC portability I really don't care much about the visual style of the hdd or the portability. If they are equally good, I may get the elements, if not I can get the my passport. Is there anything significant you'd like me to know I'll decide it when I get to the retail store.

Thank you all for your help, I've been searching for a good hdd for a long time.

chachee99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am also interested in getting one of these two WD drives. The 1tb is about 20 bucks more, but I think the 500gb is more than enough space for Wii. However, I am wondering if there are any problems using these drives since they are usb 3.0 instead of usb 2.0. Also, i read that the WD My Passport HD has extra additional software on it. Does the software need to formatted from the drive?

Also, I would like someone to confirm that both WD drives are able to used in fat32, NTFS, and WBFS formats.

Thanks

atlanx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
>>> GBATemp-Wiki : Wii USB Devices Compatibility List <<<

And always remember this:

If the Device automatically spins down due to inactivity
Some drives are configured from the factory to automatically spindown after a set number of minutes of inactivity, which could cause issues. Configuration software is usually available to configure such devices to disable this feature.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am also interested in getting one of these two WD drives. The 1tb is about 20 bucks more, but I think the 500gb is more than enough space for Wii. However, I am wondering if there are any problems using these drives since they are usb 3.0 instead of usb 2.0. Also, i read that the WD My Passport HD has extra additional software on it. Does the software need to formatted from the drive?

Also, I would like someone to confirm that both WD drives are able to used in fat32, NTFS, and WBFS formats.

Thanks

I use a 1TB WD Elements WDBPCK0010BBK-01 myself, and know of at least 5 friends that also use this model also without issue. It's a USB3 drive.

I'd avoid toshiba drives in general, I know for sure at least one friend had one but it would spin down and cause issues. We could not locate a way to disable the spindown.
This bloke had a similiar problem recently: http://gbatemp.net/threads/hd-1tb-loading-problem.349922/#post-4686001

Windows wont format a drive that large to FAT32 the normal way. I've always used GUIformat with no problems (and I've modded at least 10 wiis for friends and family): http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BAD advice.
I own one of those ( in white ) and it doesn't really work with the Wii.
I mean I have to plug it and unplug it everytime I launch the USB loader otherwise it gets stucked on the boot screen.
And I tried every possible tutorial and formatting options out there without success.
It even says so on the USB drive compatibility page.
DO your research before blindly suggest something based on assumption.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks

Western Digital is overall a very reliable brand; Toshiba on the other hand are notorious for higher-than-normal failure rates (after working for Dell tech support and the fact many of their machines have Toshiba hard drives, etc). Maxtor's also pretty good, but I haven't had their products in a long time. I have the 500 GB MyPassport drive and it's been working great for nearly two years :P

WBFS is rarely supported anymore and discouraged as Windows OSes will not be able to read a hard drive with such a partition. But, when ripping Wii games, they get ripped to WBFS format (usually split if >4 GB), however, the HDD should be set to FAT32 for overall stability and reliability and programs like emulators only use NTFS or FAT32.

chachee99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The WD Passport 1tb is on sale right now. If I use it, will I need to format the drive and get rid of the pre-installed software? If so, how would I do this?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.