Going to buy a WiiKey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ZombiePosessor, Jul 20, 2008.

Jul 20, 2008

Going to buy a WiiKey by ZombiePosessor at 6:07 PM (922 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. ZombiePosessor
    OP

Member ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm taking advantage of the free repair Nintendo is offering to US customers where you send in your Wii and they'll replace the internals, for those launch Wiis with SSBB read errors. I'm positive I have a d2b Wii, my question is, if I send it in to Nintendo, will I recieve it back with D2B or will I get it back with a new chipset and firmware. I have 3.2U on mine now. I basically don't want to buy the chip today, send in the Wii tomorrow, get the chip and then get the Wii back in an un-chippable state. Anyone with experience on this have an answer for me?

2. thinkoutsidetheb

Newcomer thinkoutsidetheb Advanced Member

Canada
    I included a note requesting not to update (at the time it was to Photo Channel 1.1; I like mp3's). If it's repairable they send the same one back to you. Apparently mine wasn't so I lost all my save data and was sent a refurbished Wii (has a white sticker/red letters stating so).

Gedumucating, I'd wait and see what Wii you get back search the serial # for an appropriate chip.

Best of luck

p.s. The free repair is for Canadians too

3. ZombiePosessor
    OP

United States
    Damn, anyone else get back a different wii than the one they originally bought? thinkoutsidetheb0x, did you mod your repaired Wii?

4. thinkoutsidetheb

Newcomer thinkoutsidetheb Advanced Member

Canada
    No modding.

Bill C-61 in Canada is gonna cause some problems so I need to take things easy on consuming Internet data. [​IMG]

I'd use some of those neat homebrew apps to backup saves/Mii's/etc; Nintendo didn't bother with mine however they did send me back my SD card that was still in the Wii...

5. ZombiePosessor
    OP

United States
    Well, I went ahead and ordered the chip. I figure I'll clean out the insides when I take it apart to chip it. I really just bought the Wiikey because of the novelty, and plus I have every other console I own modified in some way. I really haven't gotten much use out of the Wii, nothing has caught my eye, and I'd rather play a game on the 360 if it is available, because the Wii's versions are always the crappy ones. I don't expect to get too much use out of my Wii's remaining life, so I figured I might as well mod it and try those 2 or 3 games that look ok before it dies.