Going to buy a wii u soon.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Wekker, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Wekker
    OP

Wekker GBAtemp Fan

Aug 4, 2007
    Netherlands
    Below which version should i buy? And how do i prevent it from connecting to internet?

2. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Read the other hundreds of topics that answer the exact same questions over and over and over.

MarioBrosThe likes this.
  3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    This should cover everything you need to get started: Easy Nintendo Wii U Homebrew Channel Hack Guide [5.3.2, 5.4, 5.5.1]

You want to be on 5.5.1 which is the latest at the moment, but still block updates after that as explained in the link i provided.

As for the Wii U version to buy, you didn't link to anything. However i'd say buy the cheaper 8gb version if possible, the 32gb on board storage on the more expensive models is useless when you can use a little 64gb / 128gb usb drive to add more storage at fraction of the cost.

Kafluke likes this.
  4. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    I'm assuming by version, they meant Firmware, not which retail unit.

I'd get a deluxe if you plan to buy any legit games, which you should. Can't update shit on 8gb unless you only have a game or two. Deleted shit plenty of time to update smash on my cousins....

Kafluke likes this.
  5. Fazana

Fazana Professional Trashposter

Mar 7, 2016
    Local Chippy
    External Hard Drives are delicious for that very reason. The onboard storage is only flash memory, so it's not hyperspeed, which means you get basically the same performance out USB2 based ExHDD's.

Personally don't see any justification in getting a deluxe over a standard model, unless you absolutely abhor the colour white enough to spend the extra 50 or so quid, especially when you can nab a sensor bar for basically nothing and connect an external hard drive for more storage than you'll ever need.

LuigiXL likes this.
  6. EclipseSin

EclipseSin FullMental Trollemist

Apr 1, 2015
    United States
    Vegeta's Hyrule
    Yea, you could do that, providing you have something you want to shove in your wii u at all times or image when you want to use it. I personally prefer to use my USB devices, not let them stuck to a unit. Oh, and till you buy that extra crap if you don't have it, you could have just grabbed a deluxe.

And to be fair, I do hate white. It's ugly (too much shows on it). I wish my regular wii was Black, it wouldn't be torn apart in a box if it was a Black model. Probably wouldn't have boot2 though (not sure on this part).

Last edited by EclipseSin, Oct 8, 2016
  7. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    If you plan on buying disc based games (which are so much cheaper) this is perfect for storing Wii U DLC on: SanDisk Ultra Fit 64 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 150 Mbps

It's so small, I have one plugged in one of the USB ports on the back of the Wii U and forget its even there.

You can get the 32gig version for £9 if you want to save a little more too.

Either way both save you loads over purchasing the premium Wii U and you'll end up with more space.