Going to buy a Wii Modchip soon,

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Brian117, Jul 30, 2008.

Jul 30, 2008
  1. Brian117
    OP

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    With all this talk about Nintendo going to go after flashcart makers, and modchip makers, I thought to myself, I need to hurry and get a modchip in my Wii. When I first got my Wii I promised myself I would NEVER mod my Wii. But then came installing the Talismoon tray LED, then I'm soon going to mod my wiimotes to light up. And hopefully next is going to chip it.

My dad is pretty good at soldering things, so he can easily help me. But the problem right now with me is money. Only 16 and has no cash. Thinking of getting a paper route job, but doubt they pay more then $10.

So right now I'm just looking for the best modchip that's out for the Wii. One that keeps up with updates, one that is VERY easy to install, and one that just has the most features and what not.

I have seen tons of threads asking for which one, and people really don't explain what the chips do. So hopefully in this thread, you guys would help me out. Thanks billions in advance.

2. Metalclay

Newcomer Metalclay Member

United States
    cheap AND easy to install? don't think that exists, but it really depends on what your definition of "cheap" is.

anyway, you don't mention what type of chipset you have. if you have a dms, d2a or d2b, you easily make a yaosm, wii frii, chiip or any other of them open source chips with wiikey dumps on them for like 10 bucks. granted, it'll take some googling on your part and some time if this is your first time assembling anything like a modchip, but it's cheap; not easy though.

you can also just opt for a commercial wiikey or cyclowiz which will run you a bit more, but...you don't have to go to radio shack or wherever you go for your small parts to get diodes, resistors, etc. as well as mess with copying and pasting code onto your programmer.

if you have d2c or d2e, I am not aware of anytype of open source chips you can use, so you're going to have to buy a wasabi v1 (DMS D2A D2B D2C D1A), wasabi v2 (universal up to now I believe), or a d2 pro (also universal).

With wiiclip they're easy to install (just snap on), but it's not cheap. if you don't use the clip, still expensive, but not that much (require soldering though).

3. Brian117
    OP

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Wow, very good info. Thanks man!