Going to buy 2nd hand PSP need advice please

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Chrisssj2, Sep 25, 2012.

Sep 25, 2012
  1. Chrisssj2
    OP

Member Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    The one I have my eye on currently is a PSP Slim 2004 that is already softmodded.

Would you say it matters which PSP version you get since there are so many around?

I would also like to buy extra battery for psp so I can use it for like 16 hours + on a day if I so wished.

Any limitations on the slim 2004 I should know of? I plan to use emulators, watch movies, play all psp games etc. homebrew

How about Playstation Network, multiplayer games or playing playstation 1 games on them. Does softmod have same functionallity as hardmod? or where' is the difference other then how it's applied?

2. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Softmods are now as easy as dragging a couple of folders onto your memory stick and running them. PSN is enabled and works like it should. The only thing I can think of is that psp 1000 cannot use the Pro C firmware's "Pro Online" feature (allows you to play ad-hoc games through wifi connection).

Most psp 2000's and under can have permanent 6.60 CFW, otherwise you can only get temporary 6.60, or permanent 6.20. (but they work the exact same, people just like to see a higher number I guess)

Not really much of a difference between them all anymore other than the obvious hardware differences and improvements between each generation.

3. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    On a slim no, only certain models of the 3000 are incompatible with CFW

Watching movies not the best idea it only accepts horrifying resolutions, but PSP Isos will work on your softmodded PSP-2000

PS1 games need to be converted to EBOOTs to work and popsloader used for them to load, use PSP2PSP for the conversion, no PSN access sadly you won't need it as you'll have access to all of the PS1 library for free. Softmod has same functionality as hardmod except softmod is not permanent and you must reboot the CFW to enable it each time you turn on the PSP.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    All the 2Ks can currently be hacked with a "perm" install.

PSN/SEN/whatever works on CFW.

PS1 games work on CFW.

The difference is how it's applied, modchips went out of style forever ago, it's all forms of softmodding now.

5. Chrisssj2
    OP

Member Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Hmm thanks for the info guys!!

Seems softmod is the way to go! and that is generally always possible. So no " pandora battery" bullshit

Only thing I wonder now if I should get 2004 version or later one.. 2004 version implies somwhere 2008 I think? Meaning it's 4 years old @ worst? Is that old for 2nd hand console hmmm.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The last number is actually the country code.