Hacking Going from NTFS to FAT

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of having separate partitions on my hard drive for emulators/roms and ISOs, I like having everything lumped into one partition. I've been using NTFS for awhile now, but it seems that I won't be able to use NTFS with any of the emulators for awhile now (unless someone tells me differently that they're actually working on making NTFS compatible.)

All my ISOs are in WBFS format. Will these work on a FAT hard drive, or do I need to use scrubbed games actually in .ISO format? I want my games shrunken as much as possible, and I know WBFS files are the only ones read on NTFS, or at least at the time I started using NTFS. Is anything different with FAT? And should I use FAT or FAT32 or whatever for the Wii?

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAT32 is the way to do.

Files will be scrubbed to the smallest size on transfer.

You will have a wbfs folder within the partition. (Where the files are stored)

You just need late releases of Hermes and Waninkoko's IOS's.

Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
FAT32 has a filesize limit of 4 gigs, as long as a single file is less than 4 gigs in size it will be stored fine.

Just to add to this: Large games can be split into 2gb or 4gb files.

For example when I dumped my copy of SSBB through cfg-loader I ended up with two files because the game is one of the few dual-layer games. The loader takes care of everything for me so I don't have to set any weird options or change any config files to run or dump these type of games.

FAT32 is the way to go for your HDD atm in my opinion. Everything supports it (mplayer, emulators, backup loaders) and you can plug the drive up to any computer and manage it with no issues.

The most important thing to note about using FAT32: Format the drive with gparted or another program...anything but Window's built in formatting tools. As long as you do that you'll have no problems with FAT32. I'm currently using a 1TB HDD with the entire thing formatted as FAT32...it works in linux, windows, Mac, and of course it works for my Wii.
wink.gif

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, FAT32 it is then. You say it doesn't support games over 4 gigs, is that 4.0 gigs exactly? I have a few games that, even when shrunk, end up at like 4.1 or around there.

SSBB is the only dual layer game I need since Metroid Prime Trilogy still isn't working properly, but is it possible to have it split into multiple files on PC to copy over, since I don't have the original disc or any dual layer discs to burn it onto?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: