1. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    Gosh, you’ll put your eye out with those grips! Dpad looks good though, especially considering it was for 360.

I by no means am saying x console is end all be all the best overall. Just an opinion piece that sometimes, PC isn’t all it’s cracked up to be for some, and that these new consoles can be a welcome choice for those that want a taste of the fancy performance PC gaming has, without the troubleshooting, cost, or strife.

The catalog of games on PC will always win, hands down, purely because “backwards comparability” is a completely different beast on the platform, and if you really wanted, you could get pretty much any full game franchise playable via emulation and steam backlog.

It’s...interesting, to see comments that boil down to “grrr!!! If you can’t play on x platform you might as well not play at all!!!!” PC gaming in a nutshell: spending more time arguing over the platform and tweaking your rig than playing games ;O; jkjkjk

Throwing cash at something usually gets you the best experience, and it rings especially true for gaming. Which is why I’m not tossing out my super PC, obviously, but definitely...moving away from it.

2. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Or I just enjoy properly made videogames that don't overly rely on a very, very basic principle of scaling everything based on your current power which ends horribly if what you level is only complimenting your combat damage not increasing it. Which is why Skyrim enemies start taking 50 hits and kill you in three. Awesome balancing. Unless you abuse extremely broken mechanics like sneak damage of course. Mods try to fix this but it FEELS like a shitty bandaid stretched over a gaping crater in a freighter. I could go on for hours why Bethesda can't balance to save their lives.

I never bothered with the main story either, Bethesda's mediocre dialogue makes me nauseous. They're significantly better at world-building, lore and indirect storytelling. Though all of that is done better in the Fallout series.

Gameplay wise you swing around a pool noodle or sling sponges at enemies until the red bar hits 0. There's no interaction, no visceral feeling, nothing. Combat is dull, flat and unresponsive. Even Fallout 4 does it better and that's made by the same people in the same engine and still suffers from several of their constant issues, yet ends up being fun because at least it has some impact.

The only thing I did wrong was play better games and have higher standards than you.

3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    R/C car remote is a bit generous, more like a ship or a boat. You know it's true when sega does this. :ninja:

upload_2021-1-8_22-3-31.png

4. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    I fail to see the problem here.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  5. Bajortski

Bajortski Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Series X has a keyboard and mouse option sir.

6. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Read my reply to this same inquiry, thanks.

I think it's pretty obvious I mean games? Y'know? Since most of the games console DO NOT HAVE kbm support?

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  7. Bajortski

Bajortski Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok, sorry, have a nice night.

8. Blake5100

Blake5100 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'd personally argue that it's almost impossible for me to go back to playing on console. The lack of customization on console is actually horrible. But hey people have different opinions and I respect that.

Scott_pilgrim and Chary like this.
  9. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    @Tom Bombadildo
    It is really hard to maintain multiple systems and play them at the same time. IMO if you are a console player or a PC player it is best to play your 1 system and get the most out of it. A better scenario if you have 1 console and 1 handheld you can enjoy them more. It even becomes worse when your system is modded because you have an endless supply of video games. In my PS2 and my PS3 days I played and finished the majority of my games because at the time I only had 1 system. When I got the PS4 I ditched my PS3 and focused on my PS4 but when I obtained my gaming laptop, Xb1, and the switch it just became a shit show of picking and choosing what should I play and why.

The only games that I'm playing right now is RE4 and GOW collection on my PS3 and Mario 3D world on the cemu emulator on my gaming laptop. Once I beat those 3 games I will move on to 3 more games I may have some time to squeeze Zelda on my switch but I really hate carrying the switch around and I had grown accustomed to playing my switch on the dock.

10. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    Maybe that's just what some people feel comfortable with. Not being overwhelmed with customization or options. The focus on playing the game can be front and center.

11. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Only the PS5 is hard to get due to Scalpers and a Pro is cheaper.

Some consoles had great games on release, the Nintendo 64, the Dreamcast... Actually of the early PS2 games, I think I only really liked Alien Hominid.

Awesome game, has aged quite well, could really use a sequel or a remaster with more levels.

12. Codemastershock

Codemastershock GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    This. I only enjoy PC gaming with simulation games like Roller Coaster Tycoon which not only kbm is optimal, but the game itself is light (except 3 which is still very bad to run even on modern machines) to the point of not being worth it to mess around with performance and graphical options. I waste so much time tweaking settings that nothing is enough to make me actually sit and play the game.
    The only thing I hate about console gaming is accessories, you would think that since they are connected to an universal standard (USB) they would just work on anything but no. Not only every single one of them are very expensive, but they are exclusive to a certain brand AND generation. Controllers I kinda get, they are designed around some features of the machine in mind, but I loathe so much that, to use a racing wheel I have to buy one that is made for console X and doesnt work with anything else just because of licensing, if I want to use a racing wheel on a console with a different manufacturer I have to buy another wheel which is the exact same as the previous one, again, just because of stupid licensing and even then, it is possible for my wheel to be not forwards compatible with future consoles of the brand it was licensed to. Logitech I think is the least worst in this case, they use unified drivers so it is possible to use a wheel meant for the PS4 on Gran Turismo 4 for the PS2 and use a Driving Force Pro made for GT4 on GT Sport, but these are the exception, not the rule.

13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    this should have been a boat skin for Hydro Thunder on the Dreamcast version, LOL!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm sorry you had that experience. Mine still works great, but it does need a cleaning.

Memoir likes this.
  14. Benja81

Benja81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I get it. I would be in love with my PS5 too!

Dude you had some shitty PCs?

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  15. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    Well, kinda what I was thinking. Having options are sometimes good and bad, but it depends on what those are. If you have a good machine specs, your go to choice would be, set the maximum quality settings your game allows. If not, you probably spend more time trying to strike a balance of how far you can push your machine until you're comfortable with it. Or give up and accept you just have to use the worst settings because you spent too much time messing with it instead of playing the game.

On console, that stuff is gone. You don't have much choice but to play as it is or don't play at all. In some rare instance you do get options, is extremely simplified. Some games like Kingdom Hearts 3 or monster hunter world on console give you option to preference quality which focus on making the graphics look good at expense of framerate or performance for higher or consistent framerate at expense of lower resolution. Unlike pc where you can mix and match multiple options.

Most people just want to play the game right away and not think about all the features of customizing graphics or performance. As long as the game work as intended and not looking like a game from a portable system, or runs like bad online multiplayer. Many people find that simplicity appealing. The focus remains on getting the player to the gameplay as priority, not * injecting sarcasm * calibrating your system to make the game work. * end of sarcasm * :ph34r:

Codemastershock likes this.
  16. Benja81

United States
    Ok but how hard is it to switch from Medium settings to High settings etc. Most games even auto calibrate for your system.
    You really only have to touch the other settings if you really want to geek out or maybe tweak here and there as you go.
    I feel like not having any settings or barely any settings is not really a plus.

17. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    The entire PC is inconvenient cuz of drivers, updates, tweaking, bsod's, blah, blah blah blah is extremely over exaggerated by most people. I can't even remember the last time I had an issue with updates, windows crashing, a game not working, etc. Years.

mrcroket, 64bitmodels and Benja81 like this.
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

United States
    Fair point, but is okay that you feel that way. I was only speculating what others might feel. Not speaking of my personal opinion.

Benja81 likes this.
  19. Benja81

United States
    And don't get me wrong I would love a PS5, but I just don't think I'd be saying thank goodness there's no settings, and still doesn't replace what a gaming PC can do.

20. scroeffie1984

scroeffie1984 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    c64 all dayy

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - consoles, leaving, basics