Going back to basics: leaving PC gaming for consoles

gbatemp_title_banner_back_to_basics_pc_ps5.jpg

In what I can only feel like what was some hybrid mixture of a stroke of complete luck and sappy-movie-tier holiday miracle generosity, I find myself with a PlayStation 5 right in time for the holidays. It’s a sad state that merely buying a console has become a heroic feat, and yet, that fact makes it all the more exhilarating to be part of the next console generation. So, what better to do with this powerhouse system, than play Assassin’s Creed II; a game that’s over 11 years old, and originally released two console generations ago?

Backwards compatibility is one of the greatest features of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series line, letting players go back and experience an entire enhanced backlog of games while waiting for the heavy-hitting “next-gen” games to release, or while waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 to be in a playable state. Add to the fact that many of the games from the PlayStation 4’s library consisted of touched-up PlayStation 3 remasters in the form of Heavy Rain Remastered, Dishonored: Definitive Edition, The Yakuza Collection--every “trilogy”, “collection”, “legendary/definitive/ultimate/special” edition, and so many, many more; you could easily have a hundred PS4 games, none of them originating from that system’s own generation.

image0.jpg

In fact, I’ve yet to actually play a single PlayStation 5 game on my PS5. Perhaps it would be seen as bizarre, but as an ex-PC player, and only ever having owned the original PS4 and not the Pro, my favorite part about the PS5 is its ability to play older games at higher framerates or better quality. Games that I easily ignored on the base PlayStation 4 due to their performance have transformed into titles that I find myself wishlisting in hopes of nabbing them on sale at a later date. Even more exciting is that, as opposed to PC games which get dramatic price cuts seasonally, once a console game has been out for a while, the physical version tends to undergo a permanent price drop. It may not be as steep of a discount, but it’s affordable, and doesn’t require waiting around to be sniped during a perfect sale; the ideal combination for someone who’s just gotten a PS5 and is too impatient to wait for holiday price cuts just yet, or might have missed the best deals during Black Friday.

While I still hold an appreciation for PC gaming, the simple nature of consoles has won me back over. Yes, you can’t mod your games as freely, you can’t...try out all those fun demos from Codex, and the fidelity won’t come close to the best of what PCs are capable of right now--especially in the future--but at the same time, you also don’t have to do any fiddling with settings, there’s no worrying about the quality of a PC port, and most importantly, a PS5 doesn’t multitask; it has one purpose: games, and I find myself not getting distracted by things that might normally pull me out of an experience on my PC, like untimely Windows Update restarts, random BSODs, or compatibility issues after said updates. Perhaps it’s just part of my ongoing bad run of luck with PC gaming, but it took an entire hour of messing with settings, watching a game crash repeatedly, and desperately scouring the Steam forums with a friend after Detroit: Become Human stopped working, thanks to an Nvidia GeForce Experience update for Cyberpunk 2077 rendering the former unstable and unable to be played without rolling back to a random sketchy upload of a driver from over six months ago. That’s not something that would ever happen on a console.

pc y.png

The amount of customization PCs provide is a blessing as much as it is a curse.

This generation, Microsoft and Sony seem to have understood what might pique the interest of PC gamers: giving players that same option between graphics and performance, in a simple box that doesn’t ask much of its user; just download a game or slide a disc in, and It Just Works (TM). Of course, not everyone is going to see things that way, and that’s fine. After all, the PC platform is all about giving users the freedom of choice, and now, excitingly, PlayStation and Xbox users are able to get a taste of that glorious freedom, too.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I’d laugh if they did, because it means they didn’t read the post. The entire point is that console players finally get a chance to have some of the finer things PC players have had for years, and that they’re a more viable option for those that want simplicity. PC still does what it does best, but maybe that’s not what some people want.
PCMR is borderline parody. Wouldn't be surprised if I saw this thread posted there.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
PCMR is borderline parody. Wouldn't be surprised if I saw this thread posted there.
Power to me then I suppose! I hope it happens. My words would have moved someone...to rage, but at least an impact was left nonetheless. (And more delicious views for the temp!)

I’d eat my hat if it wasn’t a parody sub anyway...that’s 99% of reddit to begin with.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This is also a good way to go, really. It's the price that people struggle with.
I used my tax refunds for the PS4 and PC upgrades, and I won the Switch here during the first-ever Patreon Backer raffle in 2017.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I used my tax refunds for the PS4 and PC upgrades, and I won the Switch here during the first-ever Patreon Backer raffle in 2017.
I know it’s RNG, but you gotta love when regular users win those :yayswitch:

I did read that you were having random issues with your PC so I completely understand. I still have extensive backlog from my PS3 and PS4 so I told myself before I buy anymore systems I should beat the games I already have. PS4 games are dirt cheap to buy now so I'm taking advantage I did manage to get FF7 remake and TLOU2 for $60 If I do buy a PS5 earlier than 3 years is because my PS4 had kicked the bucket. I was going to trade in my PS4 for a PS5 and my Xbox One S for a Series-X but game stop was only willing to give me $125 for each system so I just kept them.
I had no idea how cheap PS4 games had fallen. I’m loving it. Probably won’t even buy any PS5 games for quite a while, either.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Console gaming has always been about simplicity, and it's definitely nice to install a game and just have it work.

Now that we've finally hit consoles that can attain stable 60 FPS I think it finally hit the sweet spot for performance AND stability.

I love my PC but when I want something to just work, i'll use my Xbox SE X
Best name btw micosoft love it

edit: Reminds me, I helped my sister and her fiance build their first-ever PC for Christmas/new years and the very first game they installed and tried to play was Soulcalibur VI. So we launch it...and it black screens and does nothing. And I just exclaim "Welcome to the glory of PC gaming"
Turns out the game refused to load because we had no audio device connected. That's such a perfect example of how fucking stupid PC gaming is sometimes. It makes no god damn sense, it's like everything is held together with scotch tape and bubblegum.
Console gaming also often needs patching and stuff and is not without its problems. but yes pc has more levers in that sense...

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Consoles are expensive here in Brazil, but PCs can be even more expensive. As much as I don't like Xbox, an Xbox Series S is the best option for gamers here, it has a very good price and can run games of the current generation.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
K
Surprise is not original xbox or dreamcast controller. :ph34r:
Why would those be on a negative list? The Duke, I can understand if you have smaller hands. The dreamcast though? What did that controller do to you? It was great. Trash the trident, I don't care. Leave the dreamcast alone.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
To sum it up right now the PS5 has like six games worth playing, one of them is basically a tech demo that comes with the PS5, even if really good. Another is a remake, a third is more sackboy that maybe you are a bit tired of the character by now, and the rest are just average.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
To sum it up right now the PS5 has like six games worth playing, one of them is basically a tech demo that comes with the PS5, even if really good. Another is a remake, a third is more sackboy that maybe you are a bit tired of the character by now, and the rest are just average.
Unless it’s the launch week of the PS2, no console really launches right off the bat with instant classics...which is why it’s, again, really great for playing older PS4 games in actually tolerable framerates if you skipped the Pro. :yayps3:

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Now that I have a moment to write a proper reply...

IMO, the optimal setup is really just to have a gaming capable PC, a home console, and a portable console of some sort. It's really the "best of all worlds", and this gen is kind of the perfect time to experience all of the big three: You get your Xbox fill from PC since MS is pushing Xbox on PC plus all the advantages of PC gaming (mods, sales, a PC, etc), you get your Sony exclusives and the "ease of use" and "sit back and relax" vibe from the PS5, and then you've got the Switch for any portable gaming and Nintendo exclusives you might want to play as well.

It's definitely the costly way to go (what with having to maintain a library across all three), and it's certainly not for everyone, but I've basically done it this way for as long as I've been gaming and I honestly couldn't imagine limiting myself to just one platform now or in the future for any reason other than cost or true lack of interest. I think people who willingly limit themselves to one platform for dumb reasons like blind fanboyism (looking at you, PCMR) are really missing out on what gaming as a whole has to offer, and should be taken out back and shot :angry: :gun:

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm going towards the opposite opinion of yours, for... What is basically the same reasons as yours.

Retrocompatibility is fine, and I'll be among the first ones to agree that it's always fun to go back to one of the classics of your childhood. Which is why I still enjoy pulling out good old Final Fantasy V, Lufia II or Magic Pockets. I still have a decent catalog of older games and consoles at home, and I still play them regularly, but it's just more comfortable to do it on the same platform you use to talk with friends, to listen to music (since, as delicious as those OSTs can be, they become quite repetitive after the 500th time) or things like that. Turns out it's not something you can do on actual consoles for obvious reasons, especially since I'm usually playing on multiple platforms.

Simplicity is enjoyable, and is something that allows for accessibility. Which is why I took the time to set up my collection over the years. Games, emulators, Steam account and games, everything in a nice little folder easily accessible and ready to launch. With a catalog I'm not even sure I'll be able to completely finish during my whole life, considering I bought too many Steam games. And it's still more simple to have one system to talk with friends, listen to music, play games and browse Internet than to have one for each of them, so simplicity wins in that aspect.

In addition, I have one. MASSIVE. advantage. The price. Being able to get old games I loved as a child, which are re-released with better graphics, for a fraction of the price I'd pay them on a console is a good point. Being sure I won't have to buy them again in five years because I'll be more or less to switch to the next generation and catalog is barely transferable at best is a huge point when you're on a tight budget, and not everyone can buy a new rig for 500+ bucks every X years, while a decent computer can last longer than that and be fixed with much more ease than a console.

I appreciate the consoles for their accessibility. Which is why I still use regularly my 3DS. But you can't claim superiority of this gen's consoles when, even with retrocompatibility, their catalog is weak at best and as small as an ant compared to the massive elephant of 30-35 years of amazing games. Especially when many of these games are now as easily playable on PC for better results. Especially when said catalogs pale when compared to a full access to many older consoles (for example, I'd pick a SNES, a GB or a GEN catalog over a PS4+5 or a Xbox Series catalog, hands down). And while you may have valuable reasons to favor the current generation of consoles, the same reasons are making me favor PC.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly can't stand PC gaming. I play some games on my PC but overall, I find PC gaming to be more work than reward, and the cost of constantly needing to update one's hardware not worth it. If there's something I enjoy about console gaming is that chances are higher that any game I buy for my systems is going to work, unless that game is Cyberpunk.
What an ironic post, considering you have to spend all of that money to upgrade to a new console for Cyberpunk to "just work". And it does work on PS5 and series X. Just not on the older platforms. So anyway... you were saying?

And even with 409 mods Skyrim still isn't fun
Then you're doing it wrong. You like VR? Try it with an Oculus Rift or better. I find it so amazing that I don't know how long the game is to this day. Never had a desire to simply follow the main line to the end to "finish" or "win" it. Too much other stuff to do. Especially with mods. Even on the Switch.

I'm sure if I install just one more mod it'll be perfect.

409... and 1 more? Maybe I'm getting old. Thought the magic number was 420 :grog:

Last edited by urherenow,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Best fancy: Elite 2/Astro C40
Best regular controller: Switch Pro
Worst official: DualShock 3
Worst third party: anything Madcatz has touched
I only like one controller that MadCatz made, and it was a very well-built 360 wired controller. Has great triggers, the buttons feel perfect, and it worked with all my Steam games with no difference noticed by Windows. Latency was also a non-issue with it. But otherwise, yes... MadCatz makes garbage controllers for the most-part.

41Drbao2zcL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I
I only like one controller that MadCatz made, and it was a very well-built 360 wired controller. Has great triggers, the buttons feel perfect, and it worked with all my Steam games with no difference noticed by Windows. Latency was also a non-issue with it. But otherwise, yes... MadCatz makes garbage controllers for the most-part.

View attachment 241069

I had that exact controller, and I remember the sticks were awful.
The sharp edges and soft, slick lack of texture made for a terrible experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended