The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka

Introducing many features that were already prevalent in Steam; GOG Galaxy, GOG's very own game launcher gets a big update, titled "Atlas". The update comes with a visual overhaul, including four additions to how the launcher could be used, showcased in the above video.

For those that don't know, GOG is a DRM free distributor of videogames that is commonly seen as the most consumer friendly option for gamers, and one that shows better support for the developers as well (ex: 100% of the money used to purchase Cyberpunk 2077 on GOG will go to CD PROJEKT RED).

:arrow:Source

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Pardon my ignorance,but i wonder, what's this game all about?

GOG Galaxy is just like Steam, it's a game launcher where you can buy/download games provided by GOG, or now with the update, add any other game to the launcher. It's now in Beta which means you have to get selected first come first serve by email to use the latest update, there's no official release of the update yet.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
GOG Galaxy is just like Steam, it's a game launcher where you can buy/download games provided by GOG, or now with the update, add any other game to the launcher. It's now in Beta which means you have to get selected first come first serve by email to use the latest update, there's no official release of the update yet.
Thanks for clarifying.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
its a pretty good Launcher im a beta tester. only wish you didnt still have to have other stores installed lol

True, but I doubt you could have it any other way. Would Steam be able to launch a game from another theoretical Steam for example? Nope, it's DRM protected and the .exe won't run on its own without the launcher specified in the api .dll.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe some code could be made that autocloses unused launchers. for instance playing hollow knight on steam through third party launcher. I switch to apex legends in third party launch and steam autocloses from tray. (It's on my to do list once I'm experienced enough, but I'm not yet)

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Maybe some code could be made that autocloses unused launchers. for instance playing hollow knight on steam through third party launcher. I switch to apex legends in third party launch and steam autocloses from tray. (It's on my to do list once I'm experienced enough, but I'm not yet)

That's more or less a cracked/pirated game that you're describing. ;o;

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's more or less a cracked/pirated game that you're describing. ;o;
Not really what I mean is a bit of code in a launcher (say playnite for example that allows you to import other launcher's games) that will close the launchers you're not using/leave the one you used last open. The games would still be launched in the background through their launchers, but others would be closed to save resources and stop weird overlay problems

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Not really what I mean is a bit of code in a launcher (say playnite for example that allows you to import other launcher's games) that will close the launchers you're not using/leave the one you used last open. The games would still be launched in the background through their launchers, but others would be closed to save resources and stop weird overlay problems

The launchers would still need to be running in the background for that to work, you'd just be closing the windows which wouldn't do much, but in that case it would be relatively simple to make.
If not, for the games to run with the launchers closed, that would essentially be a crack.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The launchers would still need to be running in the background for that to work, you'd just be closing the windows which wouldn't do much, but in that case it would be relatively simple to make.
If not, for the games to run with the launchers closed, that would essentially be a crack.
It would close the UNUSED launchers in the tray not just the windows. For instance If I'm playing a steam game and have origin open in the tray it would close it because I'm only playing a steam game
so basically it limits you to the launcher you're currently using

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
It would close the UNUSED launchers in the tray not just the windows. For instance If I'm playing a steam game and have origin open in the tray it would close it because I'm only playing a steam game
so basically it limits you to the launcher you're currently using

Oh I see, you won't need much coding knowledge for that. While you would generally close it manually, I believe a .bat script or command line script would do just fine with elevated rights. :)

Another thought about Galaxy 2.0:

Maybe the Games are no longer DRM free ?? :O

Games on the GOG store will always be DRM free, that's their main brand image or product differentiation. Anything else is mostly DRM protected.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I see, you won't need much coding knowledge for that. While you would generally close it manually, I believe a .bat script or command line script would do just fine with elevated rights. :)

Games on the GOG store will always be DRM free, that's their main brand image or product differentiation. Anything else is mostly DRM protected.
yeah it shouldn't be too hard, but I hardly know what I'm doing rn :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad