GoG.com Valentine's day sale and free game promo

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Qtis, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Qtis
    OP

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    [​IMG]
    Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    Here is Dungeon Keeper I,
    Free for you.

As many of you know, Valentine's day is upon us. The nice fellows at GoG.com decided to give something to you or your special someone in a form of a fantastic promo to celebrate the event! Dungeon Keeper Gold is free for a limited time and 2 discounted promos have appeared:

A progressive bundle for D&D games on the site with a rising discount percentage (the more games you buy, the lower the price for each item).
    A second, traditional promo with some excellent multiplayer games up to -90% of the original GoG.com price.

:arrow:Source

Also a note to all getting the Dungeon Keeper promo: the code will be sent to your email in a few moments. It can be instant or take a few minutes. This was done so that the site doesn't become unaccessible like with the Fallout promo a few months back B-)

As for the service and why it could be preferred compared to Steam, Origin or the rest? Easy. DRM free. The game will be stored on the site for you for as long as it exists. If you want to make backups on your physical media, that's good too. I'd highly recommend it and can vouch for the service with over 100 games bought (and quite a few freebies too!).

2. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Definitely getting Dungeon Keeper for my laptop, was my favorite game as a kid and the only PC game I really played up until last year, when I finally got a laptop worthy and capable of playing more recent titles. I can't wait to try it out again after the nasty taste that android version left in my mouth.

Did you know that in the android version, you can't even rate it lower than 5 stars in the review section.

:arrow:Check out this nonsense.

EA have made the in game review rater pop up in such a way that you can only select to give the game a 5 star rating! If you choose 1-4 stars the app auto redirects you to an EA page asking you how they can improve the game! SNEAKY SNEAKY BS from EA making their game earn more 5 star ratings than it deserves!
    There is a work around by rating the game directly on the play store, but who can be bothered to do that when you are already in the middle of playing a game?

Satangel likes this.
  3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    A sale by any other name would be just as sweet. :wub:

Anyway, GoG? More like G-o-gg, am I right?

Yes I am.

4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Ah, so that's what this Penny Arcade strip was about.

Just when you think EA can't be any more of a dick, they manage to surprise.

5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    Free-to-Play, Pay-to-Win = EA :creep:

6. Qtis
    OP

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Also quick update, since about half of the internet is hammering the GoG.com main page:

Once you see the "Enjoy your game" instead of the "Get it now!", you're good to go. The processing is going on, but there are thousands, possibly millions of people on the site at the moment. It may take a while :P

Update: Got my game after a bit less than 2 hours. Waiting is a virtue.

7. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Shit, that D&D sale is excellent. I remember being thrilled just finding a DRM-free disc bundle of both Baldur's Gate games, both Icewind Dale games, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Planescape: Torment for $20 (which I turned around and sold for $50 last year as it's been out of print for a couple years), so adding both NWN games and a couple more mediocre games for just over a buck more is fantastic.

Qtis likes this.
  8. Qtis
    OP

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    GoG has been fantastic in its bundles for games like D&D. I actually spent more than $100 this winter on GoG because they had fantastic bundles for games I want or already own on CD/DVD. The difference is the ease of digital and of course the fact that I replaced my optical drive with a HDD. Also bundles saved me a ton: average sale on my games was -75% :P

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    gog rules i got master of orion 2, rct 2 with all expansions and lots of other games i lost or couldnt play ages ago because tech changed :P

Qtis likes this.
  10. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    You can rate it lower than 5 stars, but they're using dark patterns in UI design to attempt to mislead and prevent people who wants to rate it lower from doing so.

11. fojacko

fojacko GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    Bought Medal of Honor Allied Assault.

12. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Thanks, ordered it, should come soon in the mail.
    Also bought Trine 2 from their -90% sales, very good game, bit too short but looks stunning. Excellent fun in multiplayer

13. ladypoodle

ladypoodle GBAtemp Regular

Apr 8, 2009
    United States
    Ordered the freebie and got it in the mail confirmation in an instant!

14. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Went ahead and just claimed the free game. Downloading it to give it a go.