GoG Announces Worldwide Money Back Guarantee

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    So, you may or may not remember that Origin unveiled that really nifty "Great Game Guarantee" program a while back, allowing users to get refunds on the games they purchased through the service.

Well, it looks like that was only the beginning - the origin, if you will.

:arrow:GOG

A good, new policy for good, old games.

It's great to see more and more services offer these sorts of programs, and the more there are, the more pressure there is for the others (*cough*Valve*cough*) to step up their game. Whether or not you use GoG.com (though you really should), we all win.

So... yeah. Um, that's it. What? These can't all end with big punch lines you know? Sometimes you just have to report the story and cut th

Qtis and Celice like this.
  2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    This is not really the same though. The Origin program basically allows you a refund if it turns out you don't like it within 24 hours. Here you can only get a refund if the game does not run and your PC meets the specs OR you never even downloaded it. Still better than nothing (read: Valve) though.

3. ForteGospel

ForteGospel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 29, 2008
    United States
    in some countries(i believe europe) steam does gives full refund for a game if you want to return the game on the 24 hours...

4. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Europe is a country? Well goddamn, I didn't know!

This is false, there were rumours that this might happen, or that the European Union will force Steam to have this option, because it's one of the European laws that you should always be able to ask your money back.
    A few days ago I read about a guy who bought Rome 2 at launch via Steam (which was terrible at launch, really unfinished and not fun to play) and he tried to get his money back from Steam (and keep the copy of the game). Steam wouldn't let this happen, but after some mailing around and digging in the laws of his country (think it was Holland), he got his money back! Pretty unbelievable, but with the right persistence and sources, you can already make it happen.

How bad Rome TW2 was at launch

5. ForteGospel

May 29, 2008
    United States
    who said europe is a country? geez its not that hard to understand that it says "in some countries(i believe in europe)", you dont have to be an ass about it.

also you just contradicted yourself, first you say that its false, then you give an example about it being true.

its not part of steam policy, but they do work according to the laws of each country, so even if they dont support it officially they do give that service

6. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    It's not clear in your post, and following the general view people have of American people, I thought it would be a good idea to clarify that EU is not a country. Our dear KassemG has helped this view with some of his videos.

It's not (yet) part of Steam policy, and currently it's very hard to get it done. Not only you have to search for hours to find the correct people/sources, you have to mail a lot, wait on replies and in the end you're still at the mercy of that one Steam support guy/girl. Steam doesn't have to do it, it's only if you really really persist and are lucky, that you can get a refund. Only heard about it once too, I doubt it happens a lot

7. ForteGospel

May 29, 2008
    United States
    i dont find it really hard:
    [​IMG]

also saying "following the general view people have of American people" is already wrong, as "American people" does not mean "US people", America is a continent not a country ;)

Taleweaver and Patxinco like this.
  8. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Try it again with another game, I really doubt it works. TotalBiscuit just made a video on this, go to 4.20 for the good part.

And I don't know where you found that 'The Distance Selling Regulations 2000', I've never heard of it (I'm not a pro in international trading laws) but I can imagine it takes some time to find that source.

Touché, although KassemG mainly makes his videos on a Californian beach, which is cluttered with US people, not just American people. But you're absolutely right that America is a continent, true.