GoFundMe campaign to build Trump's wall (unsurprisingly) turns out to be a scam

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Xzi, May 13, 2019.

1. Xzi
    OP

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Its supporters are out $22 million, which the founder of the campaign (a Florida man) has apparently pocketed. Refunds were promised back in January, but obviously haven't been received.

https://thesternfacts.com/source-bu...early-1-million-yacht-not-a-wall-72958836bd0c

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019...fages-usd20-million-for-a-border-wall-go.html

I guess the saying is true: nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people. I just wish I had thought of it first.

Last edited by Xzi, May 13, 2019
  2. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    United States
    Serves em right

Lacius and Xzi like this.
  3. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    That's a lot of Mexican money.

Subtle Demise and Lacius like this.
  4. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    All I can say? I hate this country sometimes...

Lacius likes this.
  5. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Viva La 'Muricah :tpi:

CosmoCortney likes this.
  6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    In other news: I started a gooutandfundmenowandImeanNOWWWW!!!!!-campaign with the promise to build a giant wall around the white house. It aims to make America safer again by making sure the population is protected from the crooked government.

Upon reaching my stretch goal, I'll provide orange jumpsuits for the inhabitants.

7. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Florida Man strikes again. Mexico is doing more to stop illegal immigration by decriminalizing drug possession. It would be a huge step in the right direction here too. Walls are for prisons.

Xzi likes this.
  8. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    but USA ismust feel like a prison by now, so it serves right.

9. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    People are so politically divided that they blindly support their chosen side even though they should care about first and foremost themselves, that is, their well-being rather than being part of the left/center/right.

The younger, mid and older folks for the most part all believe that "democracy" works and that siding with a political side is a good thing.

A quote from the Neon Genesis Evangelion series:

History books exist but they might as well not since people keep on making the same fatal errors time and time again.

10. supersonicwaffle

supersonicwaffle GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2018
    Germany
    I haven’t really looked into the story, will just leave a link here I happened to stumble across.

Apparently snopes has found no evidence for the claims. The boat has been bought in the summer of 2018, 6 months ahead of the GoFundMe campaign.
    https://www.snopes.com/news/2019/05/15/wall-gofundme-founder/

11. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    Thats why no major networks or news outlets picked up the "story" except for random far left sites and blogs.

12. TerribleTy27

TerribleTy27 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2017
    United States
    Up Yours
    Genius. Guy became a millionaire overnight. Truly, this is the dude we should all aspire to be.

13. Xzi
    OP

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Too many aspiring conmen in America already I think. In this guy's case, I guess the Florida man overrode the veteran in him.

14. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I have to say these people had the money to donate, so I'm sure they'll be okay, who it's only sad for the few did it out of fear.... The government could easily pay for the wall if they wanted, there was no reason for these people to.... Much more money goes missing every year. Not saying we should be focusing on the wall at all, just saying lol.

The moral to this story is: ignorance should not be rewarded

Last edited by Ericthegreat, May 24, 2019
    Xzi likes this.
  15. TerribleTy27

TerribleTy27 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2017
    United States
    Up Yours
    The swamp people are invading. Run.

Anyway, seriously surprised that 22m went into this. You can never underestimate human stupidity, I guess.

Xzi likes this.