Gaming Godfather: Blackhand. Better than GTA 3?

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you haven't heard anything about Godfather, it's a GTA ripoff with RPG elements thrown in. The Wii version of Godfather is the highest rated version, with critics preferring it over versions on PS3, 360, PC, and PS2.

I've played GTA since the overhead-view days, but I've found Godfather to be much deeper.

For instance, I never found myself enjoying missions in any of the grand theft auto series, maybe I'd do a few, but they ultimately bored me to death. Instead I'd play sandbox and kill people. With Godfather, the missions keep me interested, maybe because they're taken from the movie, or maybe because it's fun to smack people around until they give up information. Also, the missions in Godfather have a point, the more you do, the better your character becomes.

I haven't played GTA in a long time, but here's what I think: GTA 3 has a better driving mode and more interesting cars. GTA 3 has better weapons. GTA 3 is a better sandbox game, but I think Godfather is the better game overall.

Has it just been too long since I last played GTA, or is Godfather really that good?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only GTA that Godfather is better than is the Gameboy games, thats it. The Wii version plays very nicely and is a lot better than the one I played on Xbox. Wii version is an enjoyable game but I prefer playing GTA missions.

xbandaidx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you could have sex with the hookers in this game, it'd be a lot better.

I, too, prefer this game over the GTA's I've played. GTA reminds me too much of this one other game...I can't recall the title of it.

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
I think Godfather is better than the GTA series in terms of missions and content. GTA is far more popular and always will be because it's mindless killing in a modern world. Godfather actually has a purpose to the missions, which makes it more enjoyable. I'm a fan of GTA, but Godfather feels like Mafia, which pretty much beats anything else in the genre, hands down.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sheep and thevirus really put it best.

I got it back on Wednesday along with MOH Vanguard, waited until today to play it knowing MOH was far shorter. Simply put I've never been a huge fan of GTA until 3 came out and it was so damn good, special really, and VC was excellent too...avoiding san ghetto the sims crap.

Godfather has an amazing story from the movie they build into an equally amazing game and world to interact with. The storyline is tops, and the added beef put into the game you can choose to do or not is great too. I equally if not moreso love it than GTA3 which is what got me hooked onto things like this so that says a LOT as it's fighting nostalgia factor.

Hell to be honest I just nearly put an 8hour run on that damn game, STRAIGHT and didn't realize it until I went back to the menu and just checked my note of the day for play time...stunned I was and still am as I never do 8 hour runs, haven't in damn knows how long as I can't remember.

I want to go play more, especially seeing that i've taken over a ton of business in the opening area and that general circle on manhattan island there...but with 8hours it can wait til tomorrow. The Wii controls really do make the game as the motions are intuitive, wise, well placed, and the fighting, choking, etc motions are really inspired and synched VERY well. Always pissed me off fighting was so canned in GTA and aiming archaic (True Crime at least aimed well), but this one fixes that. I just only made enforcer after all that time since I was going slow racking up business.

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mafia > GTA+Godfather

end of story.

it came out ages ago and still kicks ass. WwSheep if you havent play'd the game check it out, its awsome.

xbandaidx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The controls in this game worked VERY well, works better than MOH: Vanguards controls. the reload clip motion is almost the same, except different directions to flick your nunchuk, and Godfather always registers it correctly, now for MOH, its just bad sitting there doing 180 turns when you are just trying to do a stupid reload. I still haven't figured out how to throw a grenade in that game...

Anyone else like the Assassin Pistol in Godfather too?

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Mafia is definately a must play. Amazing story, plus visuals. Although the driving is very boring, but what do you expect out of the cars of 30s?
I am not exagerating when I say that is the best PC game I ever played.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I haven't played Godfather yet, but it seems much more fun than GTA (I don't really like GTA, the only feature I like is the radio). The controls in Godfather seem natural and seem to make the game immersive, but the main thing is that there is more than one thing you can do to your opponent (whereas in GTA, all you can do is "hit", or, if you have a gun, "shoot"). I love the idea of headbutting the opponent. Or punching. Or pistol whipping. Or kneeing him in the groin. Or shooting him. More than one option. Cooooool.
happy.gif

(And you do it all by actually punching, kicking, headbutting in real life. Waaaay cooool
happy.gif
)

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to have that pistol but despite the progress I've made I've yet to see $250K.

I mean I took Little Italy entirely aside from that one lone S property by itself in the south west area...nailed down I guess 1/2 or so of Brooklyn and 3-4 places in Jersey. Just don't seem to squeeze much cash out of my places, but that is in part since I tend to set off a ton of mob wars with my warehouse sacking. I think I do get like 11-15K in 'gift' cash as an associate right now.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
godfather is a great game, but theres only so much you can do in a 1930s setting. Its not as fun to just run around and do random shit in godfather as opposed to gta (only because gta is set in a newer era and rocket launchers/sniper rifles rule). However its a fun game and makes superb use of the wiimote and nunchuck, i'm a big fan, but i wouldnt pick it over gta

xbandaidx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest source of income in the game is just completing the main storyline missions. Once you get to the Don level, then those business incomes start to matter more. Quite honestly when I bought the gun, I thought it said 2,500 but after I bought it, I noticed some of the 400,000+ dollars I had were gone.

It wasn't a bad purchase after all, but I'm gonna focus on buying more safehouses now. I only have 4 now.

Who needs rocket launchers when you can just blow the thing with holes and cause it to explode itself.
tongue.gif
I love the explosions in this game, and hitting the light poles because the electricity they send out is 'purdy' lookin

gatorade

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the games pretty fun, i can't really compare it to gta3 as it was the first of these kind of games i played so i'll always have good memories

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
godfather is a great game, but theres only so much you can do in a 1930s setting. Its not as fun to just run around and do random shit in godfather as opposed to gta (only because gta is set in a newer era and rocket launchers/sniper rifles rule). However its a fun game and makes superb use of the wiimote and nunchuck, i'm a big fan, but i wouldnt pick it over gta

Quoted for truth. I am really impressed with how the fighting with the 'mote is implemented. Think wii sports boxing, but better. The fine adjustment shooting is also a nice touch. And open doors with a twist is awesome.

teapea

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it's the best game for the wii so far without a doubt - and i'd rate it over gta, just cos it keeps you involved more.

i've been playing in a nice black room for a ocuple of hours each night and really getting into it. trouble is, i find myself drinking lots of whiskey while playing it, cos i feel more mafia like that way!

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I just got this a few days ago and I'm addicted. Follows the movie in excellent fashion.
I was a big GTASA fan and this has filled that hole for me.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup