God...Flickbook needs to get removed from all websites!

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Codebrain, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Remove Flickbook?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Codebrain
    OP

Newcomer Codebrain Member

United States
    This is a serious issue, concerning to all who own a flash kart.

Flickbook is a homebrew app for the NDS, which allows the user to create a animation, and then upload it to your computer.

Only problem is, people don't get that far. Reason is, Flickbook has a corrupted save sequence, and either while it's saving, or when you just use it, slowly but surely, your SD card will corrupt itself. No information has told us why is this happening.

It has happened to many people. Just today, I have been affected.

The symptoms of this corruption start at the beginning. When you use it, your DS will start to lose recognition with the flash kart. In this case my CylcoDS Evolution, after 2 minutes of "blowing out the dust" it worked, after a 5 minute process of trying to make it go on. This has never happened before, I always got it to appear before I put Flickbook on my DS.

Then, when I tried playing some games, it skipped the cheat dialogue, and went straight into the game. I looked at my sd card and what do you know, my userEVO.cheats file was corrupted. I couldn't use cheats anymore.

Of course, I knew this was either going to happen or not, because of what I read/watched. I made a backup of my sd card before I put Flickbook on there. Hopefully no one else will get this corrupted homebrew, because if you are not prepared, you can lose EVERYTHING.

Proof that shows I am not the only one, and not lying:
    I would vote to remove the Flickbook app from this website. Vote please.

2. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I think removing it would be quite an extreme option, however if this turns out to be even possible in some cases a warning should be added; so that people can make up their own mind if they want to take the risk.

3. Mr.Mister

Member Mr.Mister GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Damn, good thing I never downloaded it to my Cyclo.

4. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I think that is an overreaction.

With all NDS homebrew you take the risk of card corruption, as it has been an issue many times in the past (even with DSO etc).

This can probably be minimized by being careful so not to interrupt saving with poweroffs etc.

Just remember to regularly backup your card contents to PC so you don't lose what you lost. It's a hard lesson that many including myself, have had to learn before.

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Right, card corruption can happen with any homebrew application that makes use of the filesystem. I've had DSReader corrupt my entire card when it creates its own folder as a convenience, but that doesn't mean it should be outlawed entirely.

You should always keep a backup of your SD card on your computer. Whenever you add a new program to your SD card, add it to the backup as well. Update your save files once a week or so. Yes it's annoying, but it's necessary.

I actually just realized I could probably use Synctoy for keeping my backups in sync, which may be an option.

6. sconethief

Member sconethief GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Colors! corrupted my flashkart.. but it was more my fault D: I accidentally pushed the microsd when saving D:
    Anyway: Animatee is better imo

7. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I think there's something in this I used to use a lot of homebrew and never had trouble but I used flickbook and BAM lost everything, I also never backed up my SD xD learnt my lesson damn right. I still don't think it should be removed, just use with care. Could be a valuable app and it's a shame that just one little glitch can let it down so much.

8. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    If you're gonna remove Flickbook you might as well remove Ds Organise

9. Martiin

Member Martiin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just use Animanatee
    theres no point in using flickbook when the controls are hard to use and everything is confusing at first,
    where theres animanatee and its an easy-to-use homebrew.
    ime with animanatee, it has a far less chance of data corruption than Flickbook
    might as well take flickbook off the site if its creating problems,
    but you can leave it on cause same problem with other homebrew..
    i just think its a bad homebrew

10. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

Programs from unknown sources can mess up the devices on which they are run (within system parameters).

Whee.

Please keep to technical correct terms, the filesystem can be corrupted. The thread as well as a few posts imply it might be the hardware, which is of course completely safe from harm.

11. Isaiah

Member Isaiah The Conductor

Australia
    Hehe that used to be me! before I changed my name.

EDIT: Changed a couple of grammatical errors.

12. Advi

Member Advi GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I think it should be removed if that's the case (I've had corrupted card syndrome before THANK GOD for Panasonic SDFormatter [​IMG])

But this little epidemic should also be reported to the autjor if he doesn't know. Who's to say he can't fix it?

13. OneMichael

Newcomer OneMichael Advanced Member

Canada
    Quite frankly, every data-storage method has this sort of risk associated with it. Flash devices, for example, usually require you to Safely Remove Hardware before pulling it out, and you have to be careful with magnets around magnetic storage.

My own advice is to keep everything backed up and, if possible, to separate vulnerable filesystems from the rest of your data.
    As an example, I had Windows crash on me (something to do with the registry hive, I suspect), but I keep my OS on a 10-GB hard-drive separate from the rest of my data, and a simple re-install fixed everything.
    (Not that you can do that the DS, so I think regular backups are about the only thing you can do. I can only imagine the day the DS gets RAID arrays.)

14. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Case-in-point: today I used DSFTP to transfer a single *.nds file to my card. Rebooted the DS and the file wasn't in the menu, and so I put it in my computer to find that the card was corrupted and needed reformatting.

Backups, especially on the DS, are essential.

15. EliteKill

Member EliteKill GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That happened to my CycloDS and 4GB Sandisk as well... So many 100% saves down the drain...

16. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    Good thing I was told about this before I tested Flickbook for the Sakura Homebrew Compatibility List. I've flagged it under Not Working and gave it a SD card corruption warning, just for everyone's safety.

17. 59672

Member 59672 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    When I just started using flashcards. My SC sd rumble's sd card got corrupted from flickbook. Not only did it corrupt it, after formating it, it kept corrupting from normal usage. It would corrupt about every two days, it was like flickbook planted a reusable time bomb that actavates every time i formated it. I had to return the sd card.... I hardly even used flickbook.

18. StuMx

Newcomer StuMx Member

Mexico
    It's not necesary to removeit, i guess a warning it's enough

19. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    Removing it would be a bit extreme. However, a simple fix of the homebrew itself would be a good idea.