Go to Luma CFW from Gateway 4.2b A9HL

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ReMix3D, Nov 27, 2016.

1. ReMix3D
    OP

ReMix3D Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2016
    France
    Hello everybody,

Like I said in the title, I would like to go from my current setup : O3DSXL, Gateway 4.2b with GW a9hl boot to a Luma + GW setup.
    The main reason here is that my brand new retail cartridge won't work with the GW CFW, and I read here that installing Luma in addition to GW could make the game work.

I don't really know how all the magic works behind the a9hl boot, I have blindly followed GW instruction to install it. Sadly, I don't know what is the current version of my SysNand ...

So I don't really know what to do to start : how can I know my current SysNand version to do the guide here ? Can't I install / boot to Luma since I already have a9hl from GW ?

Thanks

2. chaser

chaser Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Hopefully you've kept a NAND backup from when you did the Gateway Fastboot install.

To check your current SysNAND version, boot Gateway into sysNAND mode, hold L + Select as soon as you see the Dragon Logo to bring up the Gateway Menu. Move the cursor over 'Boot Gateway Mode', hold 'B' and then press 'A'. You should now be able to go into System settings to see what version of system firmware you are on. DO NOT try to update your firmware when in Gateway sysNAND mode.

I'd recommend that you reflash your 3DS with the NAND backup you took earlier (download the GW-v3-7-1.pdf from the GW site, and check out the 'Restoring SysNAND' section), and then go through this guide: https://3ds.guide/
    Once you've done that, check this thread out for getting Gateway to work with Luma: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

3. ReMix3D
    OP

ReMix3D Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2016
    France
    Wow, so I need to do a full restore in order to install Luma O.o ...

Well, I have kept my NAND backup, so I can do it, I was just hoping that it would be easier.
    I'll give a try when I get back home this evening.
    It would be easier if the Gateway team was more reactive and post an update to support Pokemon retail cartridge in my case -_-.

Thanks !

4. ReMix3D
    OP

ReMix3D Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2016
    France
    Didn't try for the moment, but I'm asking myself if I shouldn't move to a full Luma only setup. The only thing that would bother me is that I will loose my saves from Gateway (can they be "transfered" ?) , and that Gateway is (I think) easier to handle, by just copying rom files to the micro-sd card.
    What would you recommend ? Or any further info ?

5. Link0

Link0 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Your saves can be transferred just fine (They'll either be in the gateway's emunand, which you can still use, or convertable from .sav)
    The trick towards this setup is that you can boot Gateway's CFW directly from LumaCFW. That'll let you both use the superior LumaCFW and your preferred gateway CFW.

So i'd recommend making the switch, although it is a hassle

There's a handy guide here which may prove illuminating

Last edited by Link0, Nov 28, 2016
  6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You don't have to keep using Gateway to continue using your saves. You can convert them all to be injectable into cia games. See guide here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/importing-gateway-saves-to-cia-games.425743/

Personally I think Luma-only is "easiest". To get games, only need browse freeShop and select it to download & install (no need to look through "that iso site" and try to find a link to a .3ds game that isn't full of ads, malware, etc and that you don't have to sign up to something to get it).

Last edited by Quantumcat, Nov 28, 2016
  7. CreAtor135

CreAtor135 GBATemp's #1 Nothing

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Ikeb, Ukuro
    For what it's worth, the problem in that thread was that the OP used the deprecated Classic Mode from GW's menu, instead of the one they introduced directly into their multirom menu.

If you're interested, you can access that by simply booting into Gateway mode, pressing select to bring up the multirom menu, pressing up, and choosing Classic 7.x+ I believe.

I haven't read the replies to this thread, but just wanted to say, you don't have to worry about your saves and converting them to cias since you'll still be able to use your Gateway after you make the jump. It's essentially hours of wasted effort for no real reason.

8. ReMix3D
    OP

ReMix3D Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2016
    France
    Tutorial for Luma just done, I'm adding the Gateway chainload. Maybe I'll do the conversions later, but now if I can keep getting the GW red card to work it's best (I don't have a big enough SD card right now), and like CreAtor said, it save me some hours ...

I've already tried that solution, and it didn't work, that's why I'm doing all this -_-

9. ReMix3D
    OP

ReMix3D Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2016
    France
    Final message before going to bed : everything went fine, I can boot to Luma and Gateway, and successfully transferred the save (well, in fact, my GF save, all that for her :) ) to the retail cartridge, and it plays !

Thanks again everybody for the help !

Zidapi and Quantumcat like this.