GMO or no GMO?

Are GMO products ready for human consumption?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Time will tell.

• Total voters

Koumori_Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The title is pretty much what I want to ask...but I do have some smaller points of discussion.
Would you want your food to be labeled if it is GMO or organic/heirloom?
Would you eat GMO if you had a choice?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
"Are GMO products ready for human consumption?"

Considering how much crap humans eat on a daily basis, I'd say GM crops are more than fine for human consumption.

Seriously it's pretty much identical other than the few modifications which are usually just to increase yield (which is something that's needed considering the population)

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
Our soils are already depleted in minerals due to modern farming processes and the excessive usage of pesticides, herbicides and fertilisers. I would base my focus on replenishing those nutrients, first and foremost.

To be honest, I don't know that much about GM foods. My vote goes toward 'Time will tell' for that.
tongue.gif

twede86

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
According to all the independent studies, genetically modified organisms fed to animals have had serious effects on the offspring of the animals compared to the controlled group. In a russian study, scientists fed GM soy to female rats as an additive to their food. It wasn't even a replacement to their food. The offspring of the rats had a 55% mortality rate compared to the 9% mortality rate of the mother rat fed non-GM soy. The other 45% of the surviving rats were malnourished from birth and had developed serious stomach lesions.

Serious health issues have occurred in rats fed with genetically modified potatoes and corn, according to a United Kingdom government study. Precancerous cells and gastric problems were found in rats fed with GM potatoes. Rats that were fed Monsanto’s (The company behind most GM crops) genetically modified corn showed increased numbers of white blood cells and decreased numbers of red blood cells. The rats also had deformed livers and kidneys, compared to rats that ate natural corn.

Currently in the United States, 60-70% of processed foods contain genetically modified ingredients. These numbers are much lower throughout the world. This is scary stuff! O_O

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
We eat them already and no one has died so yes

There are many benefits to modifying the DNA of plants so I'll yes that too

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to get rid of pesticides then you have to go with GMO foods. I don't believe that a gene inserted into a plant can cause adverse health effects. A protein is a protein an amino acid is an amino acid. What I would rather see is small organic farms with a diversity of crops rather than giant factory farms farming mono cultures. Realistically America can't feed over three hundred million citizens and millions world wide without GM foods. Still I have a lot of apprehensions. We need to seed bank to preserve genetic diversity. GMO foods can cross pollinate with non GMO strains. The results could be disastrous of farming with mono cultures. New organic models that promote bio diversity need to be developed but if that were the case Monsanto wouldn't be able to make billions of dollars.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have watched a couple specials over the subject. Certain protein replacements can have adverse effects to genetic make-up, accelerating mutations in genes. Which not only can cause toxins to be produced where a plant was previously edible, but some GMO crops has been proven to cause cancer and other potentially/terminal diseases. Only time will tell if the techniques for genetic modification will come to safe fruition, and I certainly support extensively tested crops that have been put on the market for human consumption.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just did a thesis paper on GMOs and there are quite a few that are perfectly safe for human consumption, but we all must be careful because some food products cannot be genetically modified safely. One example is yeast, anytime genetic modifications are done to yeast, it produces deadly toxins that affect both humans and animals. Also, some of these products still cause allergic reactions in a rare percentage of people but the cases are minuscule compared with cases such as the Starlink fiasco in the mid 1990's. I'll say around 85% of known genetically modified food is safe to eat and as a whole and 90% of GM products are safe for human use.

Koumori_Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'm inclined to agree with pliskron.
I would add that, people should grow some portion of their own food supply, this way not only do people know how and where their food was grown, but the farmland can be put to good use feeding others who may not have farmable land, both within and without the country.
Another benefit of homegrown food is a stronger community and gigantic financial savings for everyone.

Organic food, I think, is the way to go, its how nature made it. I don't really see how mankind can hope to express greater wisdom than nature when it comes to plants and how they grow and function.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because humans have not selectively bred animals and plants for millennia now causing massive changes in genetic makeup (hint- Aurochs) and problems* (see "pedigree" animals) without so much as a knowledge of the laws of inheritance (Gregor Mendel only came along in the 1800s) let alone the existence of the genetic structure (about 60 years ago now)?

*granted most problems seem to be more of a monoculture thing.

I do not doubt things can be twisted to make harmful substances (see how many medicines are made) but as long as the makers do the whole due diligence bit I am good. The technique/science has had many great effects on the world so I would go so far as to say it is an extremely important if not essential line of research possible even to the point that those playing whisper in the ears of various African leaders with a starving populace are in need of a swift headbutt.

What I have very serious issues with though is the patent system/IP law (or case law as the case may be) in the US which despite best efforts seems to seep out into the rest of the world surrounding such things (seed harvesting and cross pollination to name but two areas).

Koumori_Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twede86 said:
According to all the independent studies, genetically modified organisms fed to animals have had serious effects on the offspring of the animals compared to the controlled group. In a russian study, scientists fed GM soy to female rats as an additive to their food. It wasn't even a replacement to their food. The offspring of the rats had a 55% mortality rate compared to the 9% mortality rate of the mother rat fed non-GM soy. The other 45% of the surviving rats were malnourished from birth and had developed serious stomach lesions.

Serious health issues have occurred in rats fed with genetically modified potatoes and corn, according to a United Kingdom government study. Precancerous cells and gastric problems were found in rats fed with GM potatoes. Rats that were fed Monsanto’s (The company behind most GM crops) genetically modified corn showed increased numbers of white blood cells and decreased numbers of red blood cells. The rats also had deformed livers and kidneys, compared to rats that ate natural corn.

Currently in the United States, 60-70% of processed foods contain genetically modified ingredients. These numbers are much lower throughout the world. This is scary stuff! O_O
A little late but:
QFT
This is my main issue with GMO stuff....
That and the oppressive practices of Monsanto...

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Koumori_Knight said:
Personally, I'm inclined to agree with pliskron.
I would add that, people should grow some portion of their own food supply, this way not only do people know how and where their food was grown, but the farmland can be put to good use feeding others who may not have farmable land, both within and without the country.
Another benefit of homegrown food is a stronger community and gigantic financial savings for everyone.

Organic food, I think, is the way to go, its how nature made it. I don't really see how mankind can hope to express greater wisdom than nature when it comes to plants and how they grow and function.

I also wrote a paper on this subject in Biochemistry.

BTW "Organic" produced fruit's and vegetable's are actually utilizing a form of GM. Many organic foods are BT crops, which produce a pesticide to fend off bugs. From what I researched it is perfectly safe to consume, and the world will need it for future generations (Until the pests evolve a resistance to the crop). MANY of the peer-reviewed papers that discount GM crops are antiquated (1980's and 90's) and have been proven insignificant since more research has been done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)