Giving Linux access to read only Mac Disk

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by notnarb, Nov 6, 2007.

Nov 6, 2007
  1. notnarb
    OP

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

So I'm.. err... applying a patch to my OSX installation to... add 'functionality', however I can't get my linux (ubuntu) partition to write to the separate hard drive I have OSX installed to (even as root), Is there any way I can get linux to get write permissions for the hard drive I have OSX on?

2. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    whats the partition type? Im assuming HFS+

Grab the hfs utils: sudo apt-get install hfsutils hfsplus

then mount the harddrive: sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda3 /mnt/disk

/dev/sda3 is the harddisk, you can find out which one you wantby typing: sudo fdisk -l
    /mnt/usb is the location you want the harddisk mounted

3. notnarb
    OP

I forgot that I deleted the part where I mentioned that the hard drive is mounted [​IMG], I can read it , just not write to it. Should I unmount it and do what you said?

edit: and I believe it is HFS+, I partitioned it using diskutilities on an OSX install disk, which isn't very specific so I could be wrong.

4. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    yes unmount and mount it with the type option(-t hfsplus). Grab the hfsplus and hfsutils packages before doing this.

5. notnarb
    OP

still coming up as read only :S,

edit:Oh and I made an oopsie and mounted the OSX partition in the /media folder [​IMG], which just so happens to be the default folder for partitions to go, but I mounted it ON the folder not inside of it (if that makes sense), preventing me from accessing my other partitions. there wouldn't by chance be a nice, convenient undo button available would there? [​IMG]