Give me your opinion: Is the Zelda series discriminative?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by romeoondaline, Nov 4, 2015.

1. romeoondaline
    OP

romeoondaline GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2006
    United States
    U know where
    LoZ is one of my favorite gaming series by far, though the more i poke around through this game the more i find. Today i found out about the original gerudo symbol and how it represents the Islamic symbol, my mind was blown. Not to mention the racist history that is laid out in the LoZ, it just makes me wonder if I'm just endorsing a racist game. I start playing Triforce heroes not too long, and IN THE VERY BEGINNING of the game there's a kid (round eared) who wants to be a 'triforce hero' and he gets rejected for not having pointy ears...
    Anyways i want your thoughts and opinions!

Last edited by romeoondaline, Nov 4, 2015

2. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    You could make a case for discrimination, but then the same's true about literally everything these days. See the Cult Of Sarkeesian for the definitive crash course on how to claim everything is wrong in some way.

HaloEffect17 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  3. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Are you telling me that video games contain fictional discrimination? Holy shit! Next I know they'll be adding fictional violence and swear words too.

4. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    In Italy, we have a figure of speech: "Vivi e lascia vivere" (lit. "Live and let live"); it means: don't create problems where there are no

5. romeoondaline
    OP

Aug 16, 2006
    United States
    U know where
    i am making a case because i choose to not look the other way, as for the feminist girl, i'm not labeling this game just as a sexist game, i'm asking about the discrimination in the whole lot of it.

It's like you're saying racism and swear words are the same thing....LOL. I'm sure you know that fiction means 'imaginary' or 'false' in a way, but as we know it discrimination is alive and real. My question is whether or not LoZ is discriminative or not and if so, isn't that like teaching kids learn to discriminate at an early age?

6. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    "Racist history that is laid out in the LOZ"?

What racist history?

You state all of what you state as if it's set in stone, hard fact, but I certainly have seen no "racism" at all in the series.
    Your sole example is an Islamic symbol that was carved into a rock, yet you neglect to mention that the series has featured numerous symbols from a plethora of religions, from the manji (Buddhism) to frequent uses of the cross (Christianity).

So I would politely ask you to provide some concrete examples of your hypothesis so we may disseminate them.

nihlathak likes this.
  7. romeoondaline
    OP

Aug 16, 2006
    United States
    U know where
    First i am not creating problems at all, it's a simple question (all you had to say was yes or no, AND everyone is entitled to their own opinion) I don't understand how asking a simple question is creating any sort of problem?
    Second i'm not sure how big of a problem discrimination is in Italy...but over here in the US it's a big melting pot, so it's a really big deal.

Third and i cannot believe how out of all 3 responses i got no one has bothered to actually answer the question....seems like avoiding the question if you ask me.

8. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    To me it seems like your question has been answered quite nicely.
    The Legend of Zelda is not "racist" or "discriminatory", and the presence of an Islamic symbol carved into a rock does not make it so, any more than the presence of crosses, a manji or a Bible (which is in the first game).

9. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    The point I was trying to make is that in-game discrimination is just part of the game's story and world and isn't supposed to reflect on real life. Plots in like a million games and movies revolve around this. Also, if kids who play a game of Zelda decide to take example from the bad guys then that's not the game's fault.

10. nihlathak

nihlathak GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Netherlands
    No, you're seeing things.

Catastrophic and Muffins like this.
  11. romeoondaline
    OP

Aug 16, 2006
    United States
    U know where
    soooo....the Hyrulean civial war wasn't the sheikah genocide??!? and how about the Gerudo-hylian war that drove the gerudo to extinction? You're right racism was not involved at all
    here's a wiki link to help shed light on things

I must be, because it's so easy to look away

12. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    You're seeing things. The stuff you posted has absolutely nothing at all to do with canon Zelda- there was no "genocide" whatsoever.

Your link is based off "Hyrule: Total War".

http://hyruletotalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Hyrule:_Total_War

A fan made mod of Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms... which has nothing to do with canon Zelda lore.

Anywho, from the canon sources:

"
    As depicted in the prologue of A Link to the Past and explained by Lanayru, when knowledge of the Triforce spread, the people of Hyrule fought to gain control of the Sacred Realm and the almighty Triforce within.

Lanayru further reveals that at one point in the war, a group ofInterlopers attempted to use the their powerful dark magic, the Fused Shadow, to seize control of the Sacred Realm and take the Triforce for themselves. "

You need to calm down, fella.

Last edited by Muffins, Nov 4, 2015
  13. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    Let's just say "EVERYTHING IS DISCRIMINATIVE!!!11!" and call it a day

14. Hiccup

Hiccup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2009
    [nvm]

Last edited by Hiccup, Nov 4, 2015 - Reason: i'ma not going to bother
  15. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    OP confirmed for not having pointy ears. I wish we could gas all the non pointy ear scum.

Tomato Hentai and Catastrophic like this.
  16. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Does Islam hold exclusivity on emblems with a moon and a star? I could very well see it as being a simple mistake that they later amended because some people took offense.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  17. romeoondaline
    OP

Aug 16, 2006
    United States
    U know where
    My bad that was honestly the wrong link i gave you i had too many tabs opened. This is the link i wanted to show you, http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Hyrulean_Civil_War. Also please, i am calm.

18. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Sure, if you look hard enough, you will find issues where ever you like.

nihlathak and Tomato Hentai like this.
  19. romeoondaline
    OP

Aug 16, 2006
    United States
    U know where
    I'm not talking about just that. I have a question for you, how come there isn't a dark skinned hylian?? or a white gerudo? HOW about the gerudos being oppressed by the hylians for having a different goddess?? and then exiled?

I'm eating pringles right now, are you telling me if i look hard enough in the container i will find cheez-its?

20. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Probably just rare, like white African Americans, and black albinos. Also, people should be oppressed if they're trying to kill people, in my opinion.

Tomato Hentai likes this.