Give me your opinion: Is the Zelda series discriminative?

romeoondaline

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LoZ is one of my favorite gaming series by far, though the more i poke around through this game the more i find. Today i found out about the original gerudo symbol and how it represents the Islamic symbol, my mind was blown. Not to mention the racist history that is laid out in the LoZ, it just makes me wonder if I'm just endorsing a racist game. I start playing Triforce heroes not too long, and IN THE VERY BEGINNING of the game there's a kid (round eared) who wants to be a 'triforce hero' and he gets rejected for not having pointy ears...
Anyways i want your thoughts and opinions!

Last edited by romeoondaline,

romeoondaline

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could make a case for discrimination, but then the same's true about literally everything these days. See the Cult Of Sarkeesian for the definitive crash course on how to claim everything is wrong in some way.
i am making a case because i choose to not look the other way, as for the feminist girl, i'm not labeling this game just as a sexist game, i'm asking about the discrimination in the whole lot of it.

Are you telling me that video games contain fictional discrimination? Holy shit! Next I know they'll be adding fictional violence and swear words too.
It's like you're saying racism and swear words are the same thing....LOL. I'm sure you know that fiction means 'imaginary' or 'false' in a way, but as we know it discrimination is alive and real. My question is whether or not LoZ is discriminative or not and if so, isn't that like teaching kids learn to discriminate at an early age?

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Racist history that is laid out in the LOZ"?

What racist history?

You state all of what you state as if it's set in stone, hard fact, but I certainly have seen no "racism" at all in the series.
Your sole example is an Islamic symbol that was carved into a rock, yet you neglect to mention that the series has featured numerous symbols from a plethora of religions, from the manji (Buddhism) to frequent uses of the cross (Christianity).

So I would politely ask you to provide some concrete examples of your hypothesis so we may disseminate them.

Reactions: Seroczynski

romeoondaline

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In Italy, we have a figure of speech: "Vivi e lascia vivere" (lit. "Live and let live"); it means: don't create problems where there are no
First i am not creating problems at all, it's a simple question (all you had to say was yes or no, AND everyone is entitled to their own opinion) I don't understand how asking a simple question is creating any sort of problem?
Second i'm not sure how big of a problem discrimination is in Italy...but over here in the US it's a big melting pot, so it's a really big deal.

Third and i cannot believe how out of all 3 responses i got no one has bothered to actually answer the question....seems like avoiding the question if you ask me.

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me it seems like your question has been answered quite nicely.
The Legend of Zelda is not "racist" or "discriminatory", and the presence of an Islamic symbol carved into a rock does not make it so, any more than the presence of crosses, a manji or a Bible (which is in the first game).

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
It's like you're saying racism and swear words are the same thing....LOL. I'm sure you know that fiction means 'imaginary' or 'false' in a way, but as we know it discrimination is alive and real. My question is whether or not LoZ is discriminative or not and if so, isn't that like teaching kids learn to discriminate at an early age?

The point I was trying to make is that in-game discrimination is just part of the game's story and world and isn't supposed to reflect on real life. Plots in like a million games and movies revolve around this. Also, if kids who play a game of Zelda decide to take example from the bad guys then that's not the game's fault.

romeoondaline

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"Racist history that is laid out in the LOZ"?

What racist history?

You state all of what you state as if it's set in stone, hard fact, but I certainly have seen no "racism" at all in the series.
Your sole example is an Islamic symbol that was carved into a rock, yet you neglect to mention that the series has featured numerous symbols from a plethora of religions, from the manji (Buddhism) to frequent uses of the cross (Christianity).

So I would politely ask you to provide some concrete examples of your hypothesis so we may disseminate them.
soooo....the Hyrulean civial war wasn't the sheikah genocide??!? and how about the Gerudo-hylian war that drove the gerudo to extinction? You're right racism was not involved at all
here's a wiki link to help shed light on things

you're seeing things.
I must be, because it's so easy to look away

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're seeing things. The stuff you posted has absolutely nothing at all to do with canon Zelda- there was no "genocide" whatsoever.

Your link is based off "Hyrule: Total War".

http://hyruletotalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Hyrule:_Total_War

A fan made mod of Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms... which has nothing to do with canon Zelda lore.

Anywho, from the canon sources:

"
As depicted in the prologue of A Link to the Past and explained by Lanayru, when knowledge of the Triforce spread, the people of Hyrule fought to gain control of the Sacred Realm and the almighty Triforce within.

Lanayru further reveals that at one point in the war, a group ofInterlopers attempted to use the their powerful dark magic, the Fused Shadow, to seize control of the Sacred Realm and take the Triforce for themselves. "

You need to calm down, fella.

Last edited by Muffins,

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Does Islam hold exclusivity on emblems with a moon and a star? I could very well see it as being a simple mistake that they later amended because some people took offense.

Reactions: Deleted User

romeoondaline

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You're seeing things. The stuff you posted has absolutely nothing at all to do with canon Zelda- there was no "genocide" whatsoever.

Your link is based off "Hyrule: Total War".

http://hyruletotalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Hyrule:_Total_War

A fan made mod of Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms... which has nothing to do with canon Zelda lore.

Anywho, from the canon sources:

"
As depicted in the prologue of A Link to the Past and explained by Lanayru, when knowledge of the Triforce spread, the people of Hyrule fought to gain control of the Sacred Realm and the almighty Triforce within.

Lanayru further reveals that at one point in the war, a group ofInterlopers attempted to use the their powerful dark magic, the Fused Shadow, to seize control of the Sacred Realm and take the Triforce for themselves. "

You need to calm down, fella.

My bad that was honestly the wrong link i gave you i had too many tabs opened. This is the link i wanted to show you, http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Hyrulean_Civil_War. Also please, i am calm.

romeoondaline

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does Islam hold exclusivity on emblems with a moon and a star? I could very well see it as being a simple mistake that they later amended because some people took offense.
I'm not talking about just that. I have a question for you, how come there isn't a dark skinned hylian?? or a white gerudo? HOW about the gerudos being oppressed by the hylians for having a different goddess?? and then exiled?

Sure, if you look hard enough, you will find issues where ever you like.
I'm eating pringles right now, are you telling me if i look hard enough in the container i will find cheez-its?

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not talking about just that. I have a question for you, how come there isn't a dark skinned hylian?? or a white gerudo? HOW about the gerudos being oppressed by the hylians for having a different goddess?? and then exiled?

Probably just rare, like white African Americans, and black albinos. Also, people should be oppressed if they're trying to kill people, in my opinion.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1