Give me your best estimate, what CPU will be "good enough" for 7th gen/Wii U emulation?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by jamieyello, Nov 11, 2015.

1. jamieyello
    OP

jamieyello Professional Dumbass

Mar 11, 2013
    United States
    I want to know if it's worth future proofing when I build my new PC, I know some games are running full speed on these emulators even now. How many cores, do you think? Will rpcs3 make multi core cpus more worth it with the ps3's 8 core cpu?

2. EarlAB

EarlAB hon hon titty croissants

Banned
    Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere.
    I just want to correct you because it pissed me off that you think Wii U is 7th gen but Wii U is actually 8th gen and started the 8th. Not the shitty PS4 or XBOX One (which, if played for more than an hour, melts the plastic) started it. God dammit. I always have to correct people because it feels like my job.

Nightwish, nastys, mutinize and 7 others like this.
  3. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney The Hacker Furry

Apr 18, 2013
    Germany
    on the cool side of the pillow
    When it comes to the number of cores i'd say number of cores to be emulated + one more for audio emulation.
    Wii U has 3 cores. So the emulator could use 4 cores.
    A lot Wii games can be emulated at full speed on my i3 CPU at a clockspeed of 2.27GHz. So I assume that 4GHz should be enough if the emulator is as advanced as the Dolphin Emulator.
    Just an assumption. I may be wrong

TotalInsanity4 and Xenon Hacks like this.
  4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Its still uses 7th gen tech so yeah and to @jamieyello the most you could possible need is an i5 650 Overclocked to 4.0 GHz.

Tony_93, Online and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  5. jamieyello
    OP

jamieyello Professional Dumbass

Mar 11, 2013
    United States
    My cheap dual core quad manages some wii games as well. I'm looking for some kind of price range, GHz really isn't an accurate measurement of cpu power though. I don't know why that ever caught on.

I never said Wii U was a 7th gen console. You imagined that part.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Dual core? I don't know how long we'll be able to get away with that as the hardware emulated gets more and more cores.

Deboog and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  6. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Rural Queensland
    Have you ever thought that if you are having to correct everyone to see your point of view, that maybe your point of view is the one that is wrong???

I'm not crazy, but everyone around me is.

:yayu:wiiu4eva

Tony_93, JamesE and Online like this.
  7. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    "7th gen/Wii U emulation?" The title implies jamieyellow groups the wiiu with 7th gen consoles. Which is fair because it's about as powerful as the 7th gen.

But it's clear jamieyellow understands it's not a 7th gen console b/c he set it aside from them with the slash.

Last edited by x65943, Nov 11, 2015
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. Muffins

Muffins Banned

Jun 17, 2008
    United States
    Mirrors
    It's not bashing a system to mention that its basic specs place it in the same "tier" of power as previous consoles. That's just the facts of life.

I've never liked the idea of "gens" anyway, given how much overlap system development has had.

Is the Wii U a seventh "gen" console? Or eighth?
    Is the Wii a sixth? Or seventh?
    Does the TurboExpress belong in the same "gen" as the Game Boy, despite being 16-bit, color, with a CPU nearly as fast as the SNES, and able to use the same games as its parent system?

We all know the "standard" answers to the questions above, but the reality is that attempting to define a system's power based upon its "gen" just ends up spinning around in circles.

Tony_93 and Online like this.
  9. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I think the most powerful PC won't be able to run Wii U fullspeed, honestly.

About the 7th/8th gen discussion, people forget that there are many other variables other than raw power of a console. The 8th gen focus on social media, online services, NFC, OSes running parallel to the game... and I think the 3DS is the one that truly started the 8th generation in this regard.

Wii U is definetely a 8th gen console, a console with something as Miiverse or Amiibo was unthinkable in 2005 when the 7th generation started.

10. frankGT

frankGT Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2009
    Portugal
    Dolphin can run wii at full speed on recent intel chips using 2 cores.

Wii has 1 cpu core and wiiU has 3 cpu cores, this should be quite an incremente in weight plus there could be loss of performance on more parallelization.

Then the gpu side of things, wii has a more basic 12 gflops chip while the wiiU is packing a much more featured 352 gflops chip.

If i would have to guess, actual cpus might not be enouth and actual gpus are enouth.

Last edited by frankGT, Nov 11, 2015
    Online likes this.
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Look at something like the Legendz series back on the GBA and little widgets that unlocked game functionality is something you would have seen there, and taxing stupidity via such purchases/your children had existed for many years in electronics. Abstract chat platforms had existed for years (something like habbo hotel being a good example), I am struggling to think of ones on game consoles (2004 saw ping pals on the DS, earlier there were things like the game.com that had a model) but I am not getting to unthinkable, and a game console would hardly be an out there thought for such things.

12. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    What kind of emulation are you looking for? Interpreted, recompiled, hardware? Do you want hacks like 1920x1080 60hz for the xBox One and Playstation 4? For getting a recompiled emulstor for the Wii U should be possible now, bit that tends to be buggy; just look at Dolphin. If I recall correctly the x Vox One and PlayStation 4 uses x86, so you could leverage Intel's virtualization tech built into their CPUs. You would just need to create a hypervisor that oversees the hardware details.
    Keep in mind, the CPU is easy; it is the GPU that is a pain in the butt.
    Any questions?

13. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    My quad-core 1.8GHz I3 3217U runs 90% of all the Wii games I threw at it at full speed. So it should get somewhat playable speeds on Cemu. But we just gotta wait and see.

14. PhyChris

PhyChris GBAtemp Regular

May 6, 2009
    Canada
    please correct me if im wrong but my understanding of this emulator is the low level GPU emulation is not needed thanks to the new graphics librarys OpenGL 3.3, DirectX 12 and windows 10s lower level access to GPU hardware.

15. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2013
    United States
    Well, Microsoft managed to get Xbox 360 games running on the Xbox 1, and the Xbox 1 CPU is not particularly powerful. However, I suspect that there is a lot of optimization there and it has to be done on a game-by-game basis.

There is no way to guess how much CPU power a hacked-together Wii U emulator will require. Certainly a bit more than the Xbox 360. There is no way to guess the speed a fictional product will need. If it is as optimized as the Xbox 360 emulator, it should be able to run on a fairly low-end CPU. If it is as poorly optimized as most early emulators, you want one of the high end socket i7s (the one with the quad DDR4 controllers) with the highest possible clock speed.

This CPU, for instance, is only $600 and pretty fast with good thermal overhead and enough cores (six) to handle multi-core emulation pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-5930K-Haswell-E-Processor-BX80648I75930K/dp/B00MMLXMM8

But the reality is, if someone other than Nintendo develops a Wii U emulator, I bet this CPU will be obsolete before it is in a good playable state for commercial games. The Wii U is going to be a tough machine to emulate given that it has, if I remember correctly, five CPU cores across two different architectures (ARM and PPC)..

ravihpa and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  16. frankGT

frankGT Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2009
    Portugal
    Its a dual core. Dont be confused by hyperthreading. 4 logical threads, 2 working cores.

One can only dream with such emulation... Nobody's on a paycheck.
    The old school machines (arcade/8-16bit) gained imensely of fanbase dedication that cannot be compared with actual consoles.

Last edited by frankGT, Nov 11, 2015
  17. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Didn't know my xbox melted after an hour wich that big ass fan in it causing everybody to call it a VCR.

18. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    Just to be clear
    Generation I :
    Magnavox Odyssey (Made by Ralph H. Baer, father of video game console)

Generation II :
    Fairchild VES
    RCA Studio II
    Atari 2600

Handheld :
    Microvision
    Epoch Game Pocket Computer
    Nintendo Game & Watch

---Video Game Crash---

Generation III:
    Famicom
    NES
    Sega Master System
    Atari 7800
    Atari XEG S
    Commodore 64 Game System
    Amstrad GX4000

Handheld :
    GameBoy

Generation IV :
    TurboGrafX-16
    Mega Drive/Sega Genesis
    NeoGeo
    Super Famicom/Snes
    Pioneer Laser Active

Handheld :
    GameBoy Pocket/GameBoy Color
    Atari Lynx
    Sega GameGear
    TurboExpress

Generation V :
    FM Towns Marty
    Atari Jaguar
    3DO Interactive
    PC-FX
    Sega 32X
    Virtual Boy
    Sega Saturn
    Sony Playstation
    Nintendo 64

Handheld :
    Sega Nomad
    GameBoy Pocket
    Game.com
    GameBoy Light
    GameBoy Color
    NeoGeo Pocket

Generation VI :
    Sega DreamCast
    Sony Playstation 2
    Nintendo GameCube
    Microsoft Xbox

Handheld :
    GameBoy Advance
    NeoGeo Pocket Color
    WonderSwan Color

Generation VII :
    Microsoft Xbox 360
    Sony Playstation 3
    Nintendo Wii

Handheld :
    Nintendo DS
    Sony Playstation Portable
    N-Gage

Generation VIII :
    Nintendo Wii U
    Microsoft Xbox One
    Sony Playstation 4

Handheld :
    Nintendo 3ds
    Playstation Vita

Generation IX :
    Nintendo Project NX (Code name only)

Handheld :
    New Nintendo 3DS (released in 2015, I think we can consider it as the first Gen 9 console)

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console#First_generation

Last edited by Noctosphere, Nov 11, 2015
    ravihpa, 1NOOB and Originality like this.
  19. Centrix

Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    Question? what PS4 do you have? I got mine a few months after its launch and play it hours on end and haven't had any melting issues thus far lol :)

20. FaTaL_ErRoR

FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

Mar 9, 2014
    United States
    You honestly should ask @Exzap this user will be able to better answer your question (OP)