OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka

Help...me... ;-;
I kinda feel like giving up. But surprisingly, amongst the unforgiving difficulty, the game is pretty fun. Not when you feel like giving up tho...

EDIT: Oops wrong forum, could a mod move it to the General Gaming Discussion forum?

Last edited by Jiehfeng,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Ok, a few tips.

One. Roll, roll, roll, roll. I'm skimming this video and you almost never try to dodge anything ever, you just stand there and take hits for no reason. You need to learn how to roll away/towards enemies while they're attacking, cuz just moving backwards or sideways does absolutely nothing. Rolling gives you i-frames, so you won't get hit. You'll need to learn which ways to roll for which enemies/attacks, so pay attention when you roll and if you get hit. But don't panic roll (rolling constantly when you think you're going to die), that'll just help you die quicker.

Two, why were you going back to the starting place from that elevator at all? It's a shortcut, you should've been going back to the first bonfire from that elevator so you don't spend 5 minutes getting back to the end of that area. Also, the reason you keep getting fucked in that area is because going backwards like that A) takes more time, so enemies that are normally far apart are closer and share aggro so they gank you and B) you don't roll :P

Three, find a better weapon. The starting weapon for pyromancers sucks ass, mainly because it has a super short reach. You should've found the broadsword or a longsword drop at some point in that area, try using that instead. Also, I suggest checking the weapons list on the fextralife wiki to find a weapon you think you might want to use for the duration of the game. Try not to constantly switch between weapons, because upgrading them is very important early game and you don't get very many materials to upgrade them with until later. Also, make sure you two hand weapons you use, this will usually stagger smaller enemies better and will stagger bigger enemies quicker. It'll also help shield break enemies who turtle behind shields so you can do a riposte. Some bosses will also get stunned if you two hand and hit them enemy in a certain spot.

Also, what are your stats like? What kind of build do you want to use? What kind of weapons? Make sure you don't waste levels in any stats that will be completely unnecessary to your build. If you want to use both pyromancy and weapons, level stats related to the weapon you want to use first. If you want to just use pyromancy, find a good weapon to use, level to those stats, and then put everything into faith, int, endurance, and vigor. Attunement will be important at some point, but don't put levels into it right away. Unless you're going to use Anri's sword, don't ever bother leveling luck.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This game, it looks nice, like a good challenge. I have been wanting to play for a long time.
I wonder if it is on sale on the Xbox Store....

Checked... Nah, full price still, I will just have to wait longer.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Ok, a few tips.

One. Roll, roll, roll, roll. I'm skimming this video and you almost never try to dodge anything ever, you just stand there and take hits for no reason. You need to learn how to roll away/towards enemies while they're attacking, cuz just moving backwards or sideways does absolutely nothing. Rolling gives you i-frames, so you won't get hit. You'll need to learn which ways to roll for which enemies/attacks, so pay attention when you roll and if you get hit. But don't panic roll (rolling constantly when you think you're going to die), that'll just help you die quicker.

Two, why were you going back to the starting place from that elevator at all? It's a shortcut, you should've been going back to the first bonfire from that elevator so you don't spend 5 minutes getting back to the end of that area. Also, the reason you keep getting fucked in that area is because going backwards like that A) takes more time, so enemies that are normally far apart are closer and share aggro so they gank you and B) you don't roll :P

Three, find a better weapon. The starting weapon for pyromancers sucks ass, mainly because it has a super short reach. You should've found the broadsword or a longsword drop at some point in that area, try using that instead. Also, I suggest checking the weapons list on the fextralife wiki to find a weapon you think you might want to use for the duration of the game. Try not to constantly switch between weapons, because upgrading them is very important early game and you don't get very many materials to upgrade them with until later. Also, make sure you two hand weapons you use, this will usually stagger smaller enemies better and will stagger bigger enemies quicker. It'll also help shield break enemies who turtle behind shields so you can do a riposte. Some bosses will also get stunned if you two hand and hit them enemy in a certain spot.

Also, what are your stats like? What kind of build do you want to use? What kind of weapons? Make sure you don't waste levels in any stats that will be completely unnecessary to your build. If you want to use both pyromancy and weapons, level stats related to the weapon you want to use first. If you want to just use pyromancy, find a good weapon to use, level to those stats, and then put everything into faith, int, endurance, and vigor. Attunement will be important at some point, but don't put levels into it right away. Unless you're going to use Anri's sword, don't ever bother leveling luck.

Thanks man. Yeah I learnt about iframes in this game recently and I've been rolling properly (a bit) now. Before you just posted this, earlier today I did the whole elevator thing and defeated all the enemies (somehow got gud), and found myself at the earlier bonfire like you said lol. I then went the other way and found the boss. Died around 5 times, but learnt its patterns and dodging+iframes made the battle a breeze.
Sadly I already upgraded my axe with titanite shards, it now has about 170 attack which is the most from all the weapons I have. I didn't choose the swords cause they're slower than this axe and they do less damage than this one, so I'm hanging on to this.

I already leveled many stats without concern for builds, strength, vitality, dexterity (cause I saw weapons had that requirement, the katana looks sick), the MP boosting stat (dunno what's it called), and one luck. I'm level 20 now, hope I didn't screw up too bad or I hope it's not too late.

This game, it looks nice, like a good challenge. I have been wanting to play for a long time.
I wonder if it is on sale on the Xbox Store....

Checked... Nah, full price still, I will just have to wait longer.

I think it's on sale in Steam atm. Y'know, at first I thought this kind of game isn't my type at all and the difficulty would make it hard to enjoy. But boy was I wrong, it's so surprisingly fun in a weird way and even if you die many times (and quit the game), you keep coming back for more.

Last edited by Jiehfeng,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind AR =/= "good weapon". Reach is one of the more important things for the game, pretty much everything with a short reach is not recommended unless you know what you're doing (which, honestly, you don't :P).

Vitality is an ok stat to raise, but unless you plan on using very heavy weapons or armor, don't bother too much. It mainly raises your equip load, and there are rings that can give you a little boost if you ever need it.

Also, just a note, there's almost no difference between any armor in the game, so don't feel like you have to use the heaviest set in the world for the best defense. All armor provides the same "base" defense modifier, the only difference is their elemental defense and that (at best) does almost nothing as well. So you can just go for fashion, as long as all armor slots are used up.

You'll also want to keep scaling in mind, some weapons will have a skill requirement needed to wield it but won't use that skill to actually calculate as much damage. Katana's, for example, usually have a strength requirement of some kind, but use dexterity to calculate actual damage, so you want to just level strength to that requirement and then dump everything into Dexterity.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Keep in mind AR =/= "good weapon". Reach is one of the more important things for the game, pretty much everything with a short reach is not recommended unless you know what you're doing (which, honestly, you don't :P).

Vitality is an ok stat to raise, but unless you plan on using very heavy weapons or armor, don't bother too much. It mainly raises your equip load, and there are rings that can give you a little boost if you ever need it.

Also, just a note, there's almost no difference between any armor in the game, so don't feel like you have to use the heaviest set in the world for the best defense. All armor provides the same "base" defense modifier, the only difference is their elemental defense and that (at best) does almost nothing as well. So you can just go for fashion, as long as all armor slots are used up.

You'll also want to keep scaling in mind, some weapons will have a skill requirement needed to wield it but won't use that skill to actually calculate as much damage. Katana's, for example, usually have a strength requirement of some kind, but use dexterity to calculate actual damage, so you want to just level strength to that requirement and then dump everything into Dexterity.

Well isn't short reach basically being close enough to the enemy to deal damage and not get hit to take advantage of it? I don't know, but my current strategy is to dodge towards the enemy at the right moments when the enemy attacks, and then attack myself when I see an opening, and I repeat. The video shows me being a huge noob, but I've gotten a bit better to the point where I don't get hit often. I came all the way to the undead settlement after defeating the big dog boss, so tell me if that still doesn't mean I can use a short reach weapon well, if not I'll go for the swords.

Armor has no difference? I don't know I saw different armor with different physical defense values, unless you mean those differences don't mean much.

How do I know which skill a weapon will use?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Well isn't short reach basically being close enough to the enemy to deal damage and not get hit to take advantage of it? I don't know, but my current strategy is to dodge towards the enemy at the right moments when the enemy attacks, and then attack myself when I see an opening, and I repeat. The video shows me being a huge noob, but I've gotten a bit better to the point where I don't get hit often. I came all the way to the undead settlement after defeating the big dog boss, so tell me if that still doesn't mean I can use a short reach weapon well, if not I'll go for the swords.

Armor has no difference? I don't know I saw different armor with different physical defense values, unless you mean those differences don't mean much.

How do I know which skill a weapon will use?
In very early areas it's an ok strategy, but you're going to come up to a lot of "heavy" enemies that have a lot of poise, so just hitting them won't do too much.

Armor values do nothing. There has been extensive "research" into this, and it was found that regardless of armor, physical damage is always the same between every armor used. As long as you're using all slots, the physical damage reduction done by enemies is the same.

And weapons will have a "rating" underneath their stat requirements, S, A, B, C, D, E or nothing. S-C are worth investing stats into, everything below is not. Sometimes scaling will change when you upgrade the weapon, like a C scaling for strength will go to a B. It also changes when you infuse a weapon, like making a weapon "heavy" will "upgrade" the strength scaling and (usually) changes everything else to E or nothing.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
In very early areas it's an ok strategy, but you're going to come up to a lot of "heavy" enemies that have a lot of poise, so just hitting them won't do too much.

Armor values do nothing. There has been extensive "research" into this, and it was found that regardless of armor, physical damage is always the same between every armor used. As long as you're using all slots, the physical damage reduction done by enemies is the same.

And weapons will have a "rating" underneath their stat requirements, S, A, B, C, D, E or nothing. S-C are worth investing stats into, everything below is not. Sometimes scaling will change when you upgrade the weapon, like a C scaling for strength will go to a B. It also changes when you infuse a weapon, like making a weapon "heavy" will "upgrade" the strength scaling and (usually) changes everything else to E or nothing.

I just killed the giant tree, that I'm sure will be the easiest boss in the game...
BUT WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME NOT TO USE BOSS SOULS?! ;A;

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I just killed the giant tree, that I'm sure will be the easiest boss in the game...
BUT WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME NOT TO USE BOSS SOULS?! ;A;
It's sort of obvious really...lol. Which I guess brings me to a new tip, read ALL the item descriptions. They give you story and clues on what they do, and if they can do multiple things :P

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Souls games are definitely just building skill. The biggest thing is just learning how to react, because you almost never know what the fuck the game is going to throw at you next and you sure as hell don't want to die and go back to that bonfire half an hour away. Some people (noobs) mistakenly think this is just "cheap jump scares" and quit the game after an hour played and tell the internet how easy the game is. When I went into Dark Souls 3, I pretty much never died unless I was doing something blatantly stupid. (which, uh, happens somewhat very often)

You're a biiiit past this point, but Knight and Warrior are always great starting classes. Mostly just because they have good weapons, and knights have a good shield because it blocks 100% physical damage.
I'd call warrior the best overall in DS3 since it has great stats for a melee focused character, armor that doesn't make you fat roll right out of the gate like knight (I believe? been a while), and a solid weapon.
I'm not much for pyromancy in general but i'd say starting with a pyromancy flame isn't worth trading in good gear and starting stats for.

Blocking is a legitimate strategy but obviously it's best to be good at both dodging and blocking. My usual setup is some light armor set, a great shield and whatever weapon I felt like equipping at that moment. I find blocking a lot more useful for new players because it's effective often, and lets you see wtf an enemy is going to do to you without it tearing your ass off immediately after a failed dodge. Though, uh, sometimes it does anyway. Rip.

Mages are easy mode...really. If you ever want to feel like you're cheating without actually cheating, mages are the way to go. I've nearly beaten the game at level 40 or so on my mage for lulz. Bit of a pain in the ass to start, though.

Didn't watch the vid just spouting off random tips and thoughts. I'm better at answering questions.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Souls games are definitely just building skill. The biggest thing is just learning how to react, because you almost never know what the fuck the game is going to throw at you next and you sure as hell don't want to die and go back to that bonfire half an hour away. Some people (noobs) mistakenly think this is just "cheap jump scares" and quit the game after an hour played and tell the internet how easy the game is. When I went into Dark Souls 3, I pretty much never died unless I was doing something blatantly stupid. (which, uh, happens somewhat very often)

You're a biiiit past this point, but Knight and Warrior are always great starting classes. Mostly just because they have good weapons, and knights have a good shield because it blocks 100% physical damage.
I'd call warrior the best overall in DS3 since it has great stats for a melee focused character, armor that doesn't make you fat roll right out of the gate like knight (I believe? been a while), and a solid weapon.
I'm not much for pyromancy in general but i'd say starting with a pyromancy flame isn't worth trading in good gear and starting stats for.

Blocking is a legitimate strategy but obviously it's best to be good at both dodging and blocking. My usual setup is some light armor set, a great shield and whatever weapon I felt like equipping at that moment. I find blocking a lot more useful for new players because it's effective often, and lets you see wtf an enemy is going to do to you without it tearing your ass off immediately after a failed dodge. Though, uh, sometimes it does anyway. Rip.

Mages are easy mode...really. If you ever want to feel like you're cheating without actually cheating, mages are the way to go. I've nearly beaten the game at level 40 or so on my mage for lulz. Bit of a pain in the ass to start, though.

Didn't watch the vid just spouting off random tips and thoughts. I'm better at answering questions.

Thanks. The video is irrelevant now, I'm not like that at all now.
I just beat the tree boss and then the crystal mage, and now I'm in the Cathedral of the Deep. The pyromancer flame helped me a lot at times so I'm fine with it, but yeah, if I knew more about dark souls I would've gone with something else.
Right now I'm trying to beat the dancer with the nice butt early, but I always die like when I get her to middle health cause I get greedy by attacking too much or getting scared and dodging too much.
The mages look super cool, I don't care if it's an easy mode, I've got to try it sometime, the blue spell pages looks so cool... :rolleyes:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm playing that game too, and find it very hard.
I had to replay a lot every part to "learn by heart" what to do.

I killed the tree boss too, and the ice monster (with arrows from the first room!).
I'm now at the forest/swamp. I probably miss few items in previous area.

I'm using a great axe, and can't throw any magic (I see in your video that it's useful, too bad I can't).
I tried to level up my spirit/mind, but can barely do anything magical, only a very short amount of heal. not useful at all. I probably wasted points leveling that stats.

when you say you used the boss' soul, you mean you sold it?
It has some use? I don't know what I can or shouldn't do, but I just play randomly cause I'm very bad at this game.
There are still items I don't even understand their use, or can't use them at all. Like dried fingers... is there a use for that? the description doesn't even make sense.

I spent about 30H on it I think, and I feel like I'm still at the beginning seeing a lot of features are still unavailable.

All I do is grind for levels, and it's still not enough.
I'm bad at this game genre. oh, I almost never dodge attacks and just block them... I guess that's the reason

Though, I still progress slowly in the game.

PS: I only play offline (I fear and don't even know what could happen in online mode).
I see there's a password mode, it's used to play co-op and prevent other players without password from accessing my game ?

PS2: I don't understand what the "burning effect" does when you kill a boss.
you know, the flaming effect on you and your armors, after a while (dying?) it goes away.
I don't know if I have to do something with "it" and bring it somewhere, or it's just useless. maybe I missed story elements because I lost it and didn't bring it to someone ?
I don't think it's needed to lit firecamp, I did that without the burning soul effect.

Last edited by Cyan,

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I'm playing that game too, and find it very hard.
I had to replay a lot every part to "learn by heart" what to do.

I killed the tree boss too, and the ice monster (with arrows from the first room!).
I'm now at the forest/swamp. I probably miss few items in previous area.

I'm using a great axe, and can't throw any magic (I see in your video that it's useful, too bad I can't).
I tried to level up my spirit/mind, but can barely do anything magical, only a very short amount of heal. not useful at all. I probably wasted points leveling that stats.

when you say you used the boss' soul, you mean you sold it?
It has some use? I don't know what I can or shouldn't do, but I just play randomly cause I'm very bad at this game.
There are still items I don't even understand their use, or can't use them at all. Like dried fingers... is there a use for that? the description doesn't even make sense.

I spent about 30H on it I think, and I feel like I'm still at the beginning seeing a lot of features are still unavailable.

All I do is grind for levels, and it's still not enough.
I'm bad at this game genre. oh, I almost never dodge attacks and just block them... I guess that's the reason

Though, I still progress slowly in the game.

PS: I only play offline (I fear and don't even know what could happen in online mode).
I see there's a password mode, it's used to play co-op and prevent other players without password from accessing my game ?

PS2: I don't understand what the "burning effect" does when you kill a boss.
you know, the flaming effect on you and your armors, after a while (dying?) it goes away.
I don't know if I have to do something with "it" and bring it somewhere, or it's just useless. maybe I missed story elements because I lost it and didn't bring it to someone ?
I don't think it's needed to lit firecamp, I did that without the burning soul effect.

When you kill a boss you get the "EMBER RESTORED" message, and you get to look badass by being on fire. It basically extends your health bar and heals it completely to 100% till you die ofc, you can restore ember yourself without killing a boss by using your embers. Go to your inventory, then find the ember (it looks like a vertical black stone with fire scars on it), select it and select use to do get a boost to your HP bar.

I play offline too lol... xD

You should dodge attacks, I think it's impossible to finish the game without dodging. There's this thing called invincibility frames, they basically make you invincible, immune to any attack when you dodge. If your equip load (it's found in the stats menu, which is basically how heavy all your equipped gear is) is higher than 70%, you can't dodge for shit, if it's below it, you get 13 i-frames, so if you dodge just when you're about to be attacked, you won't get hit. This is extremely important. The iframes start just when you begin rolling, so roll just when you see you're about to get hit by a boss or enemy.

You can use boss souls, like how I explained how you can use ember by selecting it from the inventory, it gives you a lot of souls. My mistake was using it for the souls, but there's another use for it; you can get very good weapons by talking to a guy at the shrine. If you have any doubts about any item, check the DS3 wiki, it's very useful (even the pros use it, they won't tell you they did xD).

Make sure you upgrade your weapon, get titanite shards and reinforce them by talking to the weapon smith at the shrine, and you can also "infuse" weapons, changing how their damage calculations behave, by using an item like a raw gem.

For example, infusing your axe to raw will give it a high base damage, but it will remove the +xx damage, which is the bonus you get from the level of stats the weapon uses (like strength and dex, if it's class A, you get a big damage bonus, if it's lower, you get lower).

Reactions: Cyan

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
0f8631c17a9154ea134914a8bf31e278.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum