girls in gaming industry

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by esoterica, Nov 14, 2008.

Nov 14, 2008

girls in gaming industry by esoterica at 3:51 PM (3,125 Views / 0 Likes) 47 replies

1. esoterica
    OP

Member esoterica GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just want to get an opinion on this. I'm a 23 year old female who has always wanted a job in the video game industry. I feel like most girls are not taken seriously in this genre, but I truly consider myself a hardcore gamer. I know that because I almost never buy clothes, and spend all my money on upgrades for my computer or new games and consoles. Anyways, I felt like a job in the gaming industry would be unrealistic, but I feel like I have a really good perspective on it. Do you think it would be pointless to pursue a career in this industry? I have a lot of friends who have engineering degrees but can't even find a decent job because of the economy. I don't want to end up with a useless degree and a huge amount of financial debt.

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i'm a gaming girl too, and wanted to be a gaming journalist back in the days, now i just do volunteer work as a beta tester for sony playstation, i've been gaming for 18 years btw and i am now 25 lol, when did you start gaming then? i'm not really keen on pc gaming myself.

if you truly believe you will get a job in the gaming industry, don't give up that dream, but i will warn you that it's very competitive and hard to get a job in gaming, do you even know what you want to do? as you will need the qualifications too.

3. esoterica
    OP

Member esoterica GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, I would like to get paid since I don;t want to invest all my time into paying for classes and not get anything. But I figure, half of the courses involve some kind of programming or game mechanics, so I could still maybe get a crappy job that requires a little bit of computer science. Actually, before I dropped out of college, I wanted to be a broad cast journalist, but I changed my mind. I would like to do something along the lines of concept art/animation (I'm a decent artist) and improving game mechanics and user interface, and just random small stuff. I would love to help develop the storyline, weapons, items, and spells as well. I want to be the person who corrects those things that would have made a game really great if it just weren't for those few annoying things that weren't user friendly or a pain in the ass. For example, not being able to sell multiple items in some games and not being able to immediately end a long conversation dialogue if you accidently talked to some character again. Maybe also stuff like camera angles and balancing out skills for other games.

4. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    yeah, that seems like a good start, i would get some gaming work experience first that will really boost your cv, do you know a college that will let you take gaming courses? i know in the UK you can do that.

5. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Sex doesn't really matter in gaming industry, getting a job in gaming industry is not always about coding and such. Seeing your interests you'd want a high position as high as senior, in what department though IDK, but there's a general position where you control all other departments, problem is you're a supervisor, not exactly somebody who can alter the whole game

I once tried to look at Infinity Ward's job vacancy, and they never said anything about "Male xxyrs old" which means females are taken into consideration too.

Well, in summary I think the position you after is supervisor or something

6. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    you are a man, you would say that.

7. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    I think gaming is such big business these days that talent speaks more the gender, if you can make people money that is the number one concern!

8. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    actually, i think it's the opposite. as long as u prove ur self capable, u would more likely to be hired than a male counterpart lol. u can guess why >.>
    anywayz, if it's ur passion, go for it. don't let anyone hold u back. gl [​IMG]

9. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    to be honest, I considered going that direction... but it just doesn't seem that great, not brilliant pay, pretty poor conditions if you work for a megacorp like ea, and its quite hard to get a job (all these damn pirates are killing the industry dont-ya-know!)

but, if you really want to go in that direction, then I look forward to pirating your work!

10. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon

Unfortunately this is the case these days. Anyway i hope that whatever your decision it will turn out to be a good one good luck if you do get to the big gaming industries. [​IMG]

11. RayorDragonFall

Member RayorDragonFall I see you've played knifey-spoony before.

Spain
    Since when does being a hardcore gamer have anything to do with not buying clothes?
    Why don't we just leave stereotypes alone and grow up?

12. Akoji

Member Akoji +5 internets to psyfira for avatar.

Canada
    Well there's some women in the gaming industry, look at Jade Raymond, she's got high profile game on her direction, maybe in the 80's it would have been weird, but nowaday, sex shouldn't matter.

13. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I agree with Jalaneme.. dont give up the dream but dont put all your eggs in that one basket. There is a good chance you wont make it, not because you are female but because it is a competative industry that a lot of people are interested in. Do your research and find out what it takes. If you truly think you are at a disadvantage, see if you can find a female in the industry and fire off a personal email asking her if she has any advice for a young woman serious about getting started in the industry. Most importantly dont beat yourself up if you never make it. Most people dont [​IMG]

14. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    you show great enthusiasm.

15. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    I have been thinking of joining the industry, and being a pirate such as myself, I think I might help out those who have shown themselves good pirates. Those who say the game industry is dying due to piracy, it continues to grow even with piracy also growing.

But being female in the game industry will not hinder your chances at getting a job in the industry. Just because males run rampid in the industry does not mean that females are not allowed it is usually they have less interest in looking for a job in such a field.

16. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    sexist remark : get really hot, and apply at G4 TV for a host position on a TV show.

nonsexist remark : try your best, learn some programming in your spare time, try to create a game that looks decent enough to compete with licenced games, and submit your work.

I have a friend who works for Naught Dog (Crash Bandicoot series) in the art department... and she's a girl. She's done alot of the art work for the Crash games.

You just have to follow your dreams and work hard!

17. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    i think that is the only way a woman would get a job doing games is to be a sex object, that girl who works on assassins creed is a good example.

18. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    It's always possible. I read up an article long ago about why females don't like to game. It contained something about reflexes... or something like that. Don't really remember. Anyways, the creator of Assassin's Creed is a female. She's pretty successful too.

I know a few female gamers, not hardcore, but game as a casual thing. I don't mean flashgames and stuff though.. I mean playing games like Halo 3 and stuff. Even I don't play Halo 3 lol. You should definitely continue pursuing the path you chose, it's best to find out what you're capable of.

19. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I know nothing of the industry but as general advice, try and narrow your field down a bit. It sounds like you're talking about 5 different job roles there; concept artists don't get involved with camera mechanics who have nowt to do with setting and storytelling and they don't fix the broken bits after the alpha testers have been in. You're working on a team, you won't be making the whole thing yourself so you can't do everything. [​IMG]

Everyone says it's competitive, in my first week of Computer Science they really drilled it into us that working in gaming was a pipe dream. Then someone in my class wound up working on graphics for Rare. He's a complete utter and total jaw dropping genius, but that's beside the point; it's competitive, but if you've got what it takes then people make it. Plus think of all the people who've been talked out of it, that gives you less to fight with. I say go for it. If you don't try you'll never know. Just don't get 100% set on it, it's a nightmare to get any job at the moment but what the hey, have a plan B lined up for good measure and you're good to go.

20. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    I do not know many game developers personally so zero. How does that make me stereotypical? I know females play games I know quit a few, does not mean game development or working in the game industry is what they want to do, nor am I going to force them and say "hai lyk you should prove people wrong and work in the game industry". Just because there are female gamers does not mean working in the game industry is their job of choice, nor should it have to be. Just because I am interested in learning does not mean I want to be a teacher ;-)