Girl Gamers

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ufotrash, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2010

Girl Gamers by ufotrash at 5:31 PM (2,934 Views / 0 Likes) 57 replies

1. ufotrash
    OP

Member ufotrash GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So any ladies out there in the TempVerse today?
    How do you feel being a "Gamer Girl" if that is indeed how you would classify yourself.

I'm not trying to start a feminist debate or anything here.
    Just, really, sometime I feel like I get a different kind of attention when I attend tournaments, cons, arcades, even just walk into some random Gamestop or whatever.
    I mean, I ALWAYS get at least that one weird dude who is inexplicably afraid of women or something and quivers at the sight of a female in his presence.
    I don't know if any of you other chicks out there feel the same way, welcome it or reject it, anything at all.

Also, just as an unofficial poll, what kind of games do you like to play? Do you buy into "girly" games? Do you ever wonder if all those "IMAGINE" games are harmful to little girls? I think they are pretty downright ridiculous...(like the ones that try to make you think the only career options for a woman are fashion designer, babysitter, and veterinarians).

Or maybe you think this topic is completely silly and you see absolutely no rift between male and female gamers.

And for the fellas, how do you feel about girl gamers?
    Do you date a girl who plays games or not? Do you wish she did if she didn't? Etc Etc

Sorry, I guess this mostly applies to heteros, but duh feel free to throw in your two cents whoever you are.
    Ughh this is all kind of rambly and stream of consciousnessness, I know, and I'm sorry...but hopefully some people know what I'm talking about.

2. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Nothing wrong with female gamers. It all depends though. There's ones that play Animal Crossing and then there are ones that play Modern Warfare. Its quite a contrast but regardless, I find female gamers interesting. Its simply because I don't see them in person often.

I recently met someone who games a lot. She's got a nice personality and all but I wouldn't date her (and to be honest, I'm a bit shallow. I usually go for the ones above average in my standards lol and she's only average). Its a plus to have a gaming side but I'm not all about games. I love to do other things such as dinners, sports, socializing, parties. Gaming is what I resolve to when its in a home.. well, there's other things that can happen besides gaming in a home.. [​IMG]

What would surprise me to no tomorrow is when a girl can game (at a hardcore level) and do everything else like keep up with her own education and have enough time for me.

3. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Personally I couldn't give a fuck about the girl gamer bollocks. Some girls (or to be more precise a large proportion) play games, my masculinity isn't exactly going to suffer because of that. Anyhows I doubt any of the female tempers play teh IMAGINE games becasue I'm willing to bet they have taste. Girls I know who are only into more casual studd wouldn't even touch that stuff prefering Mario, Brain training. Basically games that easy to pick up and play which they can relax to, rather than trying to kill noobs on CoD.

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    I'd love to find a true girl gamer in real life. If she looks good and is smart too, I'd definitely ask her out. Seriously. I'd finally have someone to talk to, or better something to talk about [​IMG]

5. crystal107

Member crystal107 GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    Hmmm to be honest, I don't attend to any games tournaments or anything like that anymore.
    I had BAD exprience with that... and not just because I'm a person, but a girl. some guys will act like dicks, some would be nicer, and besides the point, most of them were immature... and I never correlate gaming and maturity level, gaming is just some sort of fun - not age related, me thinks.

Anyways, I had bad exprience with some gamers, I've dated a gamer and well... kinda ended, no surprises there, but the guy mostly cared about just playing games as much as possible. I love playing games, and I even more love playing games with someone... but with all due respect, games are not my reason for living... so hmmm Maybe I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that's my exprience.

My current bf likes games, actually ,we play a lot of WoW right now, and we have a lot of fun, I like him and he is not a game-addict, we both study and have something more in our life.

So... in the end, maybe it's just a matter of luck [​IMG] you can't ask how guys feel, cause every guy would be different, one would be super nice to you, one would be a jerk, and one wouldn't even care you exist.

I have a good friend who is a gamer, so I'm having fun playing with him too.

Oh yeah, and expect guys to think you suck at games, and when you beat them, they will hate your guts and go mad [​IMG]

6. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    any games that guys play, no difference, seriously this topic WILL turn into a perverted/sexist topic eventually....

oh and i'm taken alredy so don't ask... [​IMG]

7. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    This "girl gamer" shite is getting on my damn nerves.

A gamer is a gamer...if you consider yourself a "Pro" at bejeweled and Peggle, then you need to stop calling yourself a gamer. simple as.

8. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    I've got nothing against female gamers.
    Actually, having something to talk about even with girls is always good.
    I'm not dating anyone at the moment, but a potential girlfriend doesn't have to be a gamer(ess?)
    Lucky I'm not someone who is afraid of girls.

9. gisel213

Member gisel213 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thats my kind of girl by the way lets battle in WOW.. nah just kiddin cause i might fall in love with you LOL....

10. gisel213

United States
    Off toopic was playing some ladies in super street fighter 4 the other day at my house
    and hot damn they kick ass seriously challenging and destroying my bison a few times
    what a rush.... male or female gamers are gamers.....

11. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    My best friend is a girl gamer, I don't really see any difference in girl gamers and guy gamers.
    As long as you are a gamer and you can put up a challenge against me then all is good in the gaming world.
    But I do wish the imagine games would stop being made, they are just demeaning.

12. gisel213

United States
    double post.....

13. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    That's right. I'm a girl, and I'm playing this game.

Don't hit on me, silly boys~

14. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Any good reason for dividing "guy gamers" & "girl gamers" into different groups? They're still gamers after all.

15. crystal107

Israel
    Ahaha sure, though I'm with a 46 lvl character right now [​IMG]

Btw, I call myself gamer cause I play a lot of games, not just WoW, I have a NDS lite and XL, and a Wii, I've beaten lots of mario games, and zelda, and many others that interested me (Phoneix wright, Professor Layton...), But right now I'm into WoW, very nice story, I've finished most of Warcraft 3, and gonna finish it all - I really love the story, very complicated and deep.

Btw, I'd love to play with you [​IMG] But we are probably on different realms (I'm on "Dragonblight") [​IMG]

16. TwinRetro

United States
    It pisses me off, but there is still reason to.

Most "girl gamers" I know give girl gamers a bad name. They consider themselves gamers when all they do is play Peggle and Bejeweled and Bookworm. Seriously, this is NOT gaming.

17. crystal107

Israel
    LoL, Well, the topic asked for girls playing games, and what they've been through because most gamers are guys so.. [​IMG]

18. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    I agree, gamers should be classed on skill or taste, and not on gender.

19. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I don't care unless Spergy McNeckbeard decides to start white knighting after one cries about dying so much

thats usually the point when I start to get annoyed and just quit to play something single player where I don't have to put up with that shit.

20. TwinRetro

United States
    Seen this so much on WoW and Mr. Spergy gets crucified every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.