nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just raped my Comcast newsgroup account (2GB/mo download limit ... I'm just finishing downloading over 30GB). I ain't getting my Comcast newsgroups account working again for quite some time! So I'm gonna sign up for a service, now that my Wii is almost modded and I plan on getting a 360 too.

I'm trying to decide between Giganews and Newsdemon. The prices aren't that far apart ($10/mo), but I want to know if it's worth it paying the extra for Giganews and having 100 days retention instead of 87?

How important is that extra 13 days?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
13 days don't make much difference IMO...
I've never heard of newsdemon so I can't really tell but Giganews have a damn good service. I've been using 4 different usp and the best one by far is Giganews

ASK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They're USENET providers. They give you access to binary newsgroups. Generally, if you don't have topsite/dump access, the quickest way you're going to get a release is via Usenet.

ceevee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newshosting @ 14.95/mo. Unlimited bandwidth, 8 connections, 45 day retention, 75 day retention with nzbs.

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I like Giganews and pulled most of my stuff off there. It's very easy to cancel too so you don't have to play phone hockey.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
newsgroups lets you download stuff really fast i can download a psp game in 20 mins
tongue.gif

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
torrents take far to long and there no need to pay for newsgroups. Also sometimes when your downloading a torrent it will just stop and not finish for ages. Newgroups dont do that. I use a programme called grabit and download nzb from sites.

flowbee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i use giganews for usenet and www.binsearch.info to search for nzb's. handy! and also newsleecher as my newsreader program (can import .nzb files).

zerathul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good private trackers (not the best and hard to get access ones) have scene releases max 2-3 days after they are out, generally the same day, 100-150 KB/s per torrent the first couple days, 250-300 after. i don't get having to pay for something more than this, unless u have really "special" needs

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I was very happy with Newsdemon when I was subscribed, prices, retention, etc. are all very nice (and it always maxed out my connection speed).

13 days in retention is not that big of a difference at all. Not too long ago 50 days was very very good, and 70 days was excellent
wink.gif

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
good private trackers (not the best and hard to get access ones) have scene releases max 2-3 days after they are out, generally the same day, 100-150 KB/s per torrent the first couple days, 250-300 after. i don't get having to pay for something more than this, unless u have really "special" needs

I couldn't put up with downloading something at only 200 KB/s. With usenet I pull ~1100 KB/s down with 8 connections, plus most releases are posted same day.

Not to mention I'm old skool and actually still use usenet for what it was intended!

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
comcast uses giganews, which is very good but also very expensive. newshosting is still the best bang for buck. i'd take high retention low price over high retention higher price any day.
It depends what plan you're on. For instance, my ISP limits my bandwidth to 10GB a month before it lowers my speed to that of dialup (yeah I know, it sucks), so the very maximum I'd be downloading a month is 10GB - and Newsdemon is (considerably in relative terms) cheaper than newshosting for the 10GB plan.

At the moment I don't pay for any usenet though, since I've found 2 free servers and I've added my new ISP one on top of that
wink.gif

Edit: Retention is the length of time the files are available on their server.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think someone said it earlier, but I'd go for the $15 Unlimited package with Newshosting. That's what I've always had. Best deal I could find around and the retention is decent. I've never found the need to have a longer retention and I use usenet to get just about everything. I've only recently cancelled my Newshosting account because like Dirtie mentioned, I found a few free nntp's combined with the 2 connections my ISP offers. Retention is nowhere near as long as Newshosting but the speed is still fast as hell and since I don't need long retentions anyway, that's $15 in my pocket.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: