Homebrew Giant error in the new A9LH guide...

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
In Part 2, we're instructed to:
the New A9LH Guide said:
Select the 2.1.0 ctrtransfer image when prompted by pressing (A)
Backup SysNAND to NANDmin.bin when prompted by pressing (A)
Allow the transfer process to proceed automatically, this may take some time
Now, here's the problem: using the newest version of Decrypt9, I was not prompted to backup sysNand to NANDmin.bin, the program just skipped this step, and after selecting the image, it immediately started checking and injecting it, thus I am now stuck on 2.1 without a backup. Brilliant.

Last edited by smileyhead,
Reactions: Quantumcat

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep you have to press a button to do it or b to skip it.

I did mine following the new guide today.

My issue was I didn't have wifi settings on my handheld at all and going into settings on 2.1 and back out again black screened for about 3 mins and I feared the sleep mode brick. But it was fine after a hard reset.

Last edited by KiiWii,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point it's impossible for anyone to get stuck on 2.1. If someone does what OP does and accidentally skips the sysNAND backup (D9 does prompt, you just probably weren't paying attention and accidentally hit B, PEBCAK) you can always just download the 9.2 ctrnand transfer and use that to get back to 9.2.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
@TheCyberQuake Well after all a New 3DS it"s put in Sleep Mode in 2.1.0-X or if you make a System Format with a 2DS you will be stuck in the System Setup and Recovery Mode can"t be possible to update it. Also a System Format in 2.1.0-X in a New 3DS won"t be a good idea too.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TheCyberQuake Well after all a New 3DS it"s put in Sleep Mode in 2.1.0-X or if you make a System Format with a 2DS you will be stuck in the System Setup and Recovery Mode can"t be possible to update it. Also a System Format in 2.1.0-X in a New 3DS won"t be a good idea too.
But at that point it's considered a brick, and not just "being stuck on 2.1". If you aren't bricked you can't get stuck on 2.1. Now you can brick yourself in 2.1 if you aren't careful.
Also, and this is just from my understanding and has not been tested nor verified, but if you format 2ds while on 2.1 after you install a9lh, you could probably use D9 still to transfer 9.2 ctrnand and potentially fix that issue, but that's just an educated guess based on my limited knowledge of how the 2ds works.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Well even so there"s no CFW that run in 2.1.0-X but you will be able to use Decrypt9 if you install Arm9LoaderHax in 2.1.0 in theory, but if you make a System Format in 2.1.0-X as normal (that"s the only way to do because there isn"t a CFW that works in 2.1.0-X) that some people do for error you get stuck because the Setup wants you to turn on the 3D with the slider and there isn"t a way to turn it in a 2DS, this last happens with System Settings lower than 6.0.0-X in 2DS because that was the first Firmware for the 2DS.

Pikasack

What is a title
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well even so there"s no CFW that run in 2.1.0-X but you will be able to use Decrypt9 if you install Arm9LoaderHax in 2.1.0 in theory, but if you make a System Format in 2.1.0-X as normal (that"s the only way to do because there isn"t a CFW that works in 2.1.0-X) that some people do for error you get stuck because the Setup wants you to turn on the 3D with the slider and there isn"t a way to turn it in a 2DS, this last happens with System Settings lower than 6.0.0-X in 2DS because that was the first Firmware for the 2DS.

Doesn't RxTools support 2.1.0?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don"t remeber personally about that since I don"t really use CFW, but even if RxTools doesn"t work in Arm9LoaderHax.
Actually there is a A9LH version of rxTools (or one of the many variants of rxTools), though no one should really use it at this point.
And from what I know rxTools won't run on 2.1 Otherwise Plailect and other devs would have said in the past to use that instead if people got stuck on 2.1 without a 9.2 nand backup.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If people are looking to boot 2.1 on a9lh, look no further than Corbenik. It works fine to boot 2.1 (when using a proper NFIRM)

On that note, why would system formatting on n3ds cause issues? It actually has a 3d slider, though we haven't tested a system format yet, I don't see an issue with doing it (knowing how the process works, it's rather obvious that it'll most likely work) anyways, there is no way to get stuck on 2.1 unless you don't have a functional browser or a9lh

Last edited by dark_samus3,
Reactions: peteruk

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
More than don"t work it can cause issues due to the System Settings and the whole Firmware being for Original 3DS as some others things also don"t work properly in a New 3DS in 2.1.0-X, so unless someone with a Hardmood test it to don"t cause issues, it will be very dangerous to do it.
But saying a 2DS can literally get stuck with a System Format, without much to do than use Hardmod in case there"s a functional backup.

Last edited by Clector,

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, testing was done. The results are in, the 3ds will get stuck in an infloop because it cannot access TWLN due to the NCSD header being different on 2.1 (the NCSD header contains the TWLN MBR, which is encrypted with a console specific key)

Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ding dong