Ghostlight becomes Switch developer, promises to port JRPGs to the console

IMG_0372.JPG

British studio Ghostlight revealed in a blog post today that they have now officially become a developer for the Nintendo Switch. They state that the company is planning on bringing JRPGs over to the system, and that at least one game is currently being ported already. Ghostlight is most known for bringing Japanese games like Mary Skelter: Nightmares, Mugen Souls and Lost Dimension to the PC platform, and they've also been responsible for bringing major JRPGs like Trails of Cold Steel and and the Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor series to Europe. Their mystery game will be announced sometime soon in the future.

:arrow: Source: Official Blog

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well damn, sorry, @Noctosphere --

But one good thing: more games for Switch.

I also guess we love JRPGs and if anything else, this helps devs understand and work with the system. Plus, no droughts....right, people?.....right?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, more port for nocto... but why not?
there are lot of games I didn't play on old gen, and I'm glad to have them re-released ! I wish there were even more, sometime the first in a series is on an old console, they could port it to current gen to get all the series on the same gen (like kingdom heart!)

they will only port, or also translate games never released outside of japan?
Romancing SaGa3 please?

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: H1B1Esquire

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Watch Ghostlight fuck things up and port over mediocre games.

I'm still bitter about the Devil Survivor debacle. btw Cold Steel was brought to Europe by NISA.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I thought, because my review code back in the day was provided by them...but they credit themselves having worked on Cold Steel, and I know XSEED was the one to bring it to PC, so...weird.

They brought over Trails in the Sky (the first one) on PSP. I've literally just checked my copy to confirm. They don't even know what games they've worked on...

Reactions: Chary

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
They brought over Trails in the Sky (the first one) on PSP. I've literally just checked my copy to confirm. They don't even know what games they've worked on...
Amusing. What's the Devil Survivor incident you refer to? I've not heard much negativity about this company, though I've only ever looked into one thing they've ported to PC (lost dimension)

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Amusing. What's the Devil Survivor incident you refer to? I've not heard much negativity about this company, though I've only ever looked into one thing they've ported to PC (lost dimension)

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/sh...vivor-overclocked-bugs-now-out-in-eu-1430834/

W
hen you summon a demon ( a key function of the gameplay) the game would freeze for five minutes. The game was playable (I beat the game despite this) but it really hurt the immersion, it wasn't helped by the fact it took about two months after release for the patch to be fixed. There was also a funny bug where the game got the first and last name of the protag in the wrong order. Ghostlight and Atlus deserve a lot of criticism for that fuck up. The fact it was a niche game which only impacted Europe meant it didn't get as much attention as it should have done. IIRC it's the last game Ghostlight actually published.

Ghostlight tried to be the Atlus/NISA or Europe in the mid 2000s to 2012/13ish and would bring over a select number of titles already translated by Atlus. So they brought over the PS2 MegaTen games and other titles like the aforementioned Trails in the Sky. In fairness, they did a solid job in bringing those games over. Since the Devil Survivor debacle, they seem to have focused on porting mediocre JRPGs to PC. In fairness I don't think they're an awful company but at least for me, my good will towards them has dissipated.

Last edited by emigre,
Reactions: KingVamp and Chary

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I'd imagine that's their plan especially since Sony handhelds are dead.
This is what sony decided to ignore. The fact that the 3ds line has sold so much its on EOL and the PsVita going out soon, i cant see any other better time to compete with Nintendo's a little expensive 300bucks machine. This industry needs some competition. Somethig that would revamp the psvita while avoiding its unwise marketing decisions would be a day 1 grab for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr